wanted:Freeview twin tuner, hard disk, top up; which one?

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by wendyjg, Jun 7, 2006.

1. wendyjg

wendyjg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just returned my Sagem box because it cannot cope with BBC i (Red button programs); their helpdesk admitted this is a problem with ALL Sagem boxes. Normally you can reset the box when it is stuck on 302 or so, but mine did not cooperate... So, what next? If necessary,I still have one top-up Freeview box, so there are several combinations possible with for example DVD recorder. But I rather have as few remotes as possible.... Any ideas?
    Thanks, Wendy

2. crispy_116

crispy_116

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I own the Humax PVR-9200T which can be purchased for about £200.

Now that it is on it's 5th software update this is an incredible machine. 160Gb HD twin tuner can sometimes watch 3rd channel at the same time as recording 2 other (depending on MUX).

Has optical audio out, and SCART video - although the SCART contains both RBG and S-Video components switchable in software.

I have had very few issues with this machine and would recommend.

3. unheardof

unheardof
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If i were you i would hold off on purchasing a pvr specifically for Top Up TV

Recent news suggests that its service is going to alter radically in the coming months which *might* make current boxes redundant

They appear to be switcting to a type of VOD service with just a couple of 'live' channels remaining. A new box designed specifically for it needed supposidly

Check the forums on digitalspy and a few of the media news sites to see more about it

4. martin-w

martin-w
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I too recommend the Humax PVR 9200 - it's not perfect but it changes the way you watch TV - now available for about £200. It has a slot for a CAM module (about £40 I think) which you will need for a TopUp card. I'd wait before buying your CAM to see what happens to TopUp though - but at least it has that capability so if there are e.g. different pay channels launched.

Good luck. Btw - make sure your Humax box has the latest software which supports chase play, padded recordings etc. The new software has only been available for about a week...

5. wendyjg

wendyjg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very funny, surfing the web I also found the Humax and I also read the news on the top-up website about a new service they will launch in September....not sure what it will be exactly? Thanks everybody :thumbsup: , now I only have to decide to wait or not to wait...