1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wanted - excellent VCR with manual tracking control

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by dmpoole, Feb 26, 2005.

Tags:
  1. dmpoole

dmpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Does anybody know of an excellent VCR with a proper old style 80's manual tracking knob on it? I've been everywhere and just get laughed at and I don't want to do it in the menu because its not good enough for my purposes.

thanks

2. chachi

chachi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Aiwa "global" PAL/NTSC VCR we used to have (can get model # if interested as its with friends) had tracking +/- adjustment on the remote which allowed 'live' adjustment during playback

3. dmpoole

dmpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks but not godd enough. I already have 3 VCR's that do this.
    I need the original type on the old Ferguson Videostars that keep the picture rock steady.
    Anybody got an old working Ferguson 3V43?

4. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,264
    The way a tracking control works is exactly the same whether it has button type tracking controls (assuming it has a manual setting) or a rotary knob. It varies the tape position relative to the control pulses recorded on the tape. What has changed is the range of tracking control available. In the early days of VHS, manufacturing tolerances were nowhere near as good as they are now so manufacturers had to allow a much wider range of tracking to compensate for mechanical innaccuracies in tape path, tape guides, etc. All recent VCRs, even if fitted with a knob type control (if any are still made) will have a relatively narrow range of adjustment as the mechanical tolerance is much better.

I've got an old JVC HR-D725 which I think is the original version of the 3V43 you mention and this has a very wide range.

5. dmpoole

dmpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Me wants the precious.