1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WANTED: DVD Player That Plays Everything

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Matt_117, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Matt_117

Matt_117

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, new here, just wondering if any of your experts could advise me on what DVD player I should buy.

I don't really want to spend more than £100, but I would like a DVD player that'll play everything from Region 1 DVD's to VCD's via DVD-R's and everything in between.

When it comes to the multi region stuff, I don't wish to be "hacking" them through the remote if possible, I would like something that works straight out of the box.

All brands are open to me, size and looks aren't really a factor unless they really are ugly mofo's, all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks. :)

2. Media_Man

Media_Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Get yourself down to Richer Sounds and buy a (multi-region) Pioneer DV-575a for £99.99 !! (No region 'hacking' required either !!)

I did just that last week and can't quite believe its as good as it is.
    How good? In a word - stunning !!

It plays all the formats you need plus DivX and - unbelievably - SACD and DVD-A too. It even does PAL/NTSC progressive scan and has component outputs too.

They can't be many left - as the 575a has just been replaced - so don't miss out.

PS: Dont just take my word for it though...read the reviews:

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=5285

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=5045

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=5050

:)

3. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I know of no player that plays everything. Some play loads with varrying degrees of success, you need to define exactly what you do require :)

4. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Don't take this as 100% true, but I have experience of 2 of the really cheap players (such as the ones you buy for £29.99 in Argos) and they play everything straight out of the box.

I even have a Lodos brand 14" TV/DVD combi - its plays R1, R2, VCD, SVCD, CDR, DVD copies, CDs with MP3s, Kodak images etc etc.

But I would be more inclined to go for a big brand player, such as Media_Man suggested. Better quality overall.

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    As Nic says there is no player that plays all formats - Media Man's Pioneer DV-575a for example won't play DVD-RAM or DVD-R DL discs. Make a list of those you want to play (and will potentially want to play) and then get searching based on that!

6. harford43

harford43
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm new too. Just got a Pioneer DV-380-s. Plays -R, -RW, +R, +RW,DIVX, all the CD flavours, Jpeg, MP3 WMA and is progressive scan. Multi region out of the box. £60 off the Net

7. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dont listen to them Matt...none of their recommendations play Beta Max

8. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi,

Are you saying that it won't play DVD-R DL discs just from the published specs, or do you know from experience ? I only say that becuase I'm looking for a new player and I want it to play dual layer discs, but the published specs of various machines never quote if it can do DL or not. The 575 sounds like a great machine for the money but if it can't do DL then it's not for me.

Does anyone know of a machine around the £100 margin which does DVD-R, +R and Dual Layer ?

Cheers.

9. Drew2

Drew2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    If you can find one an Auding ADV-009 might serve you well !
    It even has 5.1 output for SACD, component & VGA out all for the sum of 35 quid!!

Quote........
    Being standard to have equipped, the VGA terminal directly it is image output enable in regard to the monitor of the personal computer. Also it is possible to enjoy the foam/home theater with display and the projector et cetera where for the personal computer plural input have been attached. Don't you think? it is the one where display of the personal computer is excessive vaguely and, good news in the one which we would like to enjoy in cleaner picture.

Image output, NTSC system and PAL system of main 2 types of DVD (European area) it corresponds to both. Simply not only being able to remove two outputs, from PAL system it has been attached to automatic conversion function to NTSC system.

The DVD, the DVD-R/RW, the HDCD and the music CD, the CD-R/RW, the MP3 and the JPG still picture, it corresponds to each format. (The format which is marketed becomes operational standard)

The progressive image playback correspondence which utilizes high picture quality of the DVD to the maximum! Quite, it can enjoy the smooth high fine playback picture like whether you see at the cinema of. Of course slow and halt clean high picture quality playback is possible.

It corresponds to 5.1 channel component outputs with Dolby digital decoder built-in. Because of this, the appearance impression of the speaker ×5+ woofer ×1 it is possible to enjoy the foam/home theater which overflows. (Separate speaker system, the amplifier becomes necessity)

When the disk is inserted in the tray, then with remote control very easily the real operation of arranging is possible to operation ♪ subtitle change and 2 time - 32 time fast playback, slow playback, volume adjustment and zoom function.

End Quote....

Not my translation - but you get the idea!!

Attached Files:

10. corvettez06

corvettez06
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When you mention "plays everything" do you want it to play SACDs? If so I think you'd have to go Sony to get that feature.

11. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    or Pioneer or Samsung or Philips....

12. corvettez06

corvettez06
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hehe whoops. I forgot about those...

13. Matt_117

Matt_117

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your advice. I have read up on reviews, and I have decided to plump for the Pioneer DV-380S, the next question would be where to buy from, as I have no clue on who are reliable and trustworthy. Are Buy Your AV any good?