WANTED. DB-25 to 8-channel cabale for Integra RDC-7.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Boxinghris, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Boxinghris

Boxinghris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    Just bought myself a Denon Blu-Ray player but have just discoverd the crappy DB-25 connection on the rear of my Integra RDC-7 which means I can't use decent ICs for analogue connection; what were Onkyo thinking of?:mad:

Trying to make the best of a bad situation then, has anybody got or can anybody recommend an 8-channel RCA to DB-25 cable which at least alludes to being decent quality? :confused:

Cheers in advance for any assistance. :smashin:

2. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    I would try and get one first before you worry about their quality!!. I haven't seen one in years. I made one up years ago for a friend and it took ages! I think it might have been for an Arcam if I remember. You could do allot worse than give them a call. Also Rotel might have had these in the past also.

3. Boxinghris

Boxinghris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    I've managed to find a few by the power of Google - the construction at the RCA ends don't exactly fill me with confidence that my £5,000 Revel mains and centre will have beautifully natural audio reproduction as they do now fed a diet of the bestest bestest silver ICs.:thumbsdow

High end source, high-end processor, High end speakers, arse-end wires.

You'll see what I mean here. Eight wires going into one connection block means no decent shielding at the RCA ends.:rolleyes:

Premium DB25 to RCA Snake Cable

4. cyroute

cyroute
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Boxinghris,

Were you able to find a cable? I'm loooking for the same thing for my Onkyo TX-DS989. There seems to have been a cable made by Onkyo called a DB25-8 but I can't get them to give me any info almost sounds like they have no clue this cable was ever made. Onkyo support has never been to helpful. I bought a HOSA DTR-803 DB-25 to 8 Male RCA but it must be wired wrong becuase only 3 speakers work when I plug everything in. Strange thing is one of the back surrounds works with this cable so that gives me hope. I have onkyo researching it and hope to hear back tomorrow. I will update you if I find anything out. I do not want to keep buying cables if they don't work some of them are pretty spendy.

Joe

5. Boxinghris

Boxinghris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    You got a private message, but basically I got this cable and am very happy with the price and quality.

Premium DB25 to RCA Snake Cable

EDIT: Just realised the link doesn't show you the website of the seller, so here it is again with a link to the home website at the top and contact details; the cable you need is the one at the top of the list;

8-Channel Audio Snake Cable - DB25 to RCA

Best Regards,
    Chris. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  6. cyroute

cyroute
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :thumbsup: Thanks Chris I will order that cable unless Onkyo can come up with the DB25-8 cable for less money. I should hear something today they said. I'm only 3 hours from the main US office so it will only take a day for them to ship me something.

Thanks,

Joe

7. cfoxga

cfoxga
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joe (or Chris),

Did you have any luck with the cable and your Onkyo 989. I just received my cable and hooked up to a Samsung 2550 Bluray Player, but I get no sound.

I connected the cable as directed in the instructions:

Blue - Left Front
    Red - Center
    Green - Right Front
    Brown - Subwoofer
    Grey - Left Surround
    Yellow - Right Surround
    Orange - Left Back
    Purple - Right Back

As a sanity check I hooked the left and right outputs of the Bluray 7.1 output directly to the analog left and right inputs on the receiver. I got the sound, so the Bluray player seems to be fine. I even tried some of the other oupts and got sound as well...

I think I have the multi-channel input on the 989 selected properly, but maybe I'm doing something wrong...

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Chris Fox

8. cyroute

cyroute
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chris,

I did not buy that cable yet. I am currently just using the 5.1 input cable on the 989 and 6 analog cables out of my sony bluray player. I bought another cable before posting my message and I was getting similar results as you but I was able to get sound out of two of the speakers from the other cable so i thought the cable was mis-wired. I may still try this cable but for 75.00 I wanted to make sure it works first. Make sure you hit the audio button on your remote to make sure you have the multi-channel input selected. Also you may have to change a menu item for it to work somewhere in the setup. I have not messed with mine in a while.

Let me know if you do get it working for 7.1 surround.

Joe

9. cfoxga

cfoxga
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you Joe!

I am using a universal remote, so I did not know that there was a button that did not have a corresponding button on the receiver. Once I changed the Audio setting you mentioned, everything worked! I had my DVD player run through a test pattern on each speaker to prove it was 7.1 discreet as well, and it worked fine...

Chris

10. Boxinghris

Boxinghris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    Just for the record, I've got 7.1 audio through the cable I bought no problem. :thumbsup:

11. JustVisiting

JustVisiting
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That following is my experience with that Onkyo DB25 8 ch connector. I have the Onkyo TX-DS989 with the Dolby Digital & DTS ES upgrade. It was an open box item at Circuit City and it was missing the DB25 to 6 ch connector. I contacted Onkyo with regards to that and spoke with a sales person and we discussed the option of DB25 6ch v. DB25 8ch and he said the 8 channel will work. So I bought the 8 ch instead of the 6 ch and ended up putting the connector in my desk for about 4 years, until now. I bought the OPPO BDP-83 and it turns out that the 8ch does not work with the 989. The OPPO works fine, but after making sure the 989 DVD was set to “multi-channel” and troubleshooting it with OPPO tech spt and talking with Onkyo tech spt, Onkyo tech spt stated that the Onkyo 8ch connector is not designed to work with the 989. When I asked him why the sales rep said it would work, he said apparently the sales rep was just trying to make a sale. While attempting to use the 8ch connector and the OPPO included AIX Records audio calibration disc, all I would get is test sounds from the front 3 speakers (L&R respectively for the L&R surround and rear surround notes). While I did get 7.1 channel sounds from the included music sampler, the OPPO tech said it apparently was the 989 remixing the input and that it was not discrete signals being sent to the corresponding channels via the 8ch connector.

So now I’m looking for a DB25 6 channel piece (or even an 8 channel) that will actually receive and forward the discrete signals. Has anybody had any luck with an aftermarket connector that functions the way it is supposed to and not getting the remix from the receiver

Thank you in advance for any help anybody can provide.

12. Boxinghris

Boxinghris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    Hi,

Not sure I understand your problem or what you want now, because obviously just changing one DB25 to 8 RCA cable for another will still leave you with the same functions of the Oppo and Onkyo. :confused:

I think what you might be saying is that your receiver is only 5.1 and you've been trying to get 7.1 out of it by using the 8 channel cable such as I bought and still use, but if your Onkyo has seven channels of amplification (and a sub output) then it must be 7.1 and I'd have thought should be able to pass all 8 descrete channels bypassing the processing when analogue multi-channel is selected.

then again, I've probably got the wrong of end of the stick completely. :rolleyes:

13. JustVisiting

JustVisiting
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there and thank you for your reply. The OPPO and the 989 are both 7.1 (and yes, one would think 8 ch's in, 8 ch's out) but when using the 8ch connector and the audio calibration disc, the 989 will only output to the front 3 channels and will not put out to the LS/RS or or the LRS/RRS. Instead, the LS/LRS gets output through the front L and the RS/RRS gets ouput through the front R.

As you stated (along with Onkyo), I'm probably out of luck with an 8ch connector, but I do want to find a 6ch connector and I was hoping somebody here might be using one (successfully) and be able to give me some info, i.e., manufacturer, model #, etc. I've found several websites that sell them, but I haven't called yet to check on equipment compatibility. I'm guessing/thinking there might be an industry standard for the connections to the pins? Guess I'll call some suppliers and see what they say. I would surely hate to pay for round trip shipping and a 25% restocking fee if it doesn't work. Thank you again for your reply.

14. Boxinghris

Boxinghris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    Just be definite you've got the Onkyo set up right - everything set to analogue - and to be sure you are getting analogue multi-channel unplug the digital connections.

Many's the time I've been setting up receivers/processors and the output I thought I'd selected wasn't configured correctly, wasn't actually selected or was being over-rided by another.

Just seems totally illogical that you can't get eight channels working and my guess is that something is not set up right either in the Oppo or the Onkyo.

15. JustVisiting

JustVisiting
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm pretty sure it is set up right, there are not a whole lot of settings there according to the manual, just that "multichannel" is set to "yes" and that is it. I disconnected the digital coaxial and left the 8ch connection intact, re-ran the speaker test and it was totally silent. I went ahead and reconnected the digital coax. While ultimately I am getting 8 channel sound, it might be a "re-mix" (per OPPO) from the receiver or a lesser quality signal from the coax. Just for kicks, I just disconnected the 8ch from the 989 and re-ran the speaker test and got the identical results just using the digital coax. Maybe I have a faulty DB25 to 8ch since the results are identical whether it is connected or not? Or somehow it is not being recognized/setting problem... Looks like I will be playing with this a while longer. Thank you again for your help, I'm learning all the time :)

16. Boxinghris

Boxinghris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    You're on your way to sorting the problem out, as at least now you know your Onkyo isn't doing any processing of the analogue multi-channel because it isn't actually getting any signal through your analogue channels.

There will be a setting which you haven't considered - it's just a case of finding it now - just keep the coax uplugged when messing around so you know that when you get sound, it has to be via your RD25 8 channel inputs. :smashin:

Make sure you have 'analogue' selected as opposed to 'digital' whenever you have the option in both the Oppo and Onkyo menus. :thumbsup:

Have fun - it can be a headache but once it's done it's done.

17. JustVisiting

JustVisiting
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is so true. With this new info, I will have to thoroughly re-read the settings section. I may have to call Onkyo again and see if they have anything to add since the circumstances have changed - before I delve into the settings jungle. Thank you again for your help and your insight :)

18. JustVisiting

JustVisiting
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After racking my brain, contacting Onkyo again (without any success in getting my problem resolved) I searched and found an auxiliary ugpgrade .pdf (UPG-2_E.pdf) which outlines what cyroute previously stated in this thread about the audio button (little round one under the channel button, not the elongated audio button in the mode section):

Press the AUDIO button on the remote controller to
    change the audio mode. Each time the button is
    pressed, the mode changes from “AUTO” →
    “Multichannel” → “Analog” and back to “AUTO.” The
    “AUTO” audio mode is recommended for normal​
    circumstances.

Oddly enough there is no mention of that procedure in the original owner's manual/pdf, only in the upgrade pdf. It falls into the "Other upgraded function" category in the upgrade pdf.

Anyways, that did the trick and I was able to enjoy Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon SACD tonight through the multichannel input :) :thumbsup:

Thank you again for your help and everybody else that has taken the time to post/share their experiences here.

Sincerely,
    Just Visiting from Texas

19. Boxinghris

Boxinghris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    After all the head-scratching and frustration, it really is one of the best feelings in the World when a piece of equipment finally works how it's supposed to isn't it? :rotfl:

Enjoy! :thumbsup: