Question Wanted budget Home security camera

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by p1tse, Aug 1, 2017.

1. p1tse

p1tse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Hi
    I'm wanting a home security camera but on a low budget

I would like to plug it in my front room at the window inside to pan the front garden and front door. What I would like is that it to record or take some snaps upon motion detection, is this possible?

2. R-CAD

R-CAD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Do you mean you wan't the camera to "move" to cover the front door and garden?

Apart from it physically moving, the rest is easy to achieve relatively cheaply, but, camera based motion detection, that uses changes in pixels, is not robust for an external image. You'll get many false positives.

Leaving that aside, you could "just" get a single camera that accepts a slot in memory card (for recording). If you got a wireless version then it would be able to email you a set of images each time it registered motion detection.

I'd look at HikVision for a cost effective 2Mb IP camera.

As an example Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology Co. Ltd.
    which you should be able to get for less than £100

But, it would be better placed outside, rather than behind a window. Night time viewing may be poor behind a window due to IR reflection.

You may be able to reduce the false positives from the motion detection by using masking on the image to reduce the area that recognises motion to areas that are only over hard surfaces.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  3. p1tse

p1tse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Hi thanks for the reply
    Fixed position is fine as the front window can point to door and part garden.

Not sure I fancy them outside due to appearances