Wanted - A TV no higher than 58 cm

Reaction score
Currently I have an old 32" Sony LED TV and I really wanted to replace it with something slightly larger and with good picture and SMART capabilities. My problem is that because of its location, which can't be changed, the TV should be no higher than 58cm including its stand. Any taller than this and will block the window. The unit it sits on is 30cm tall and I cannot find a lower stand, also any lower and it would like watching a TV which is sat on the ground. I am not able to change the room around so the TV has to sit in this location. So I am looking for a TV with a height including its stand, of no more than 58cm. Any suggestions ?

Richer Sounds give dimensions with and without stand on their website so worth trawling through. If the feet are too tall you might be able to reduce a little with an aftermarket table top stand.
Does it matter if the TV blocks the window a little bit though?

That will limit you to 40" TVs like the Panasonic HX8xx or newer JX8xx models. There are other 40" models too but they are HD TVs of even lower quality.

To give you an idea of the industry nowadays, there's only one or two TVs at 43" that can be considered mid tier, most at that size are low tier TVs with worse picture quality. At 40" the Panasonic models generally fit in line with the others at 43". Low tier models. Choice, especially 40" is poor.

At 49" and 50" you start to see mid tier TVs, with the odd high tier model, choice still isn't great at this size.

55" is the size where you start to see high tier models, and sometimes now they are even starting at 65".

The talk of low, mid and high tier may not matter depending how you plan on using the TV, and what expectations you have. Low tier TVs are fine for most people, especially if they don't use their TV to stream or use discs with HDR content. Mid tier TVs improve with motion, so people who are sensitive to motion issues are more likely to find them on low tier. Whilst high tier is really where value for money is at nowadays if you have similar usage to most people and intend to stream on the TV using the latest HDR content, as these TVs will be able to display that content without an issue.

Thanks Dodgexander.

It is mainly used for watching sport and general TV. Not gaming or DVD's / Blu Ray. I would love a 50" tv but it simply isn't possible.

I will look at Panasonic JX8 series, I see John Lewis has a JX870 which is exclusive to them for some reason ?

Dodgexander,

Are you saying that the JX8 series are mid tier or low tier

Which are the one or two 43" models which are mid tier ?

Thanks

From the 2020/2021 range there’s a mid tier 43” Sony and a Panasonic if you can still find them. 21/22 models like the JX are v overpriced at this time of year (although cost may not be a consideration for you given size vs quality constraints)

From the 2020/2021 range there’s a mid tier 43” Sony and a Panasonic if you can still find them. 21/22 models like the JX are v overpriced at this time of year (although cost may not be a consideration for you given size vs quality constraints)

Thanks.

Which Sony and Panasonic were you thinking of, they both offer several of that size

Thanks

Due to the confusing model numbering scheme of TVs you get TVs all the same with different model numbers. They have exclusive deals with certain retailers where they sell the same TV under a different model number. They change something small, like the type of remote control, or the aesthetic design of the TV, colour or even stand.

So when looking at model numbers the JX870 is the same TV as other JX8xx models like the JX800, JX850 and JX870.

J = 2021 ranges
H= 2020 ranges, in 2020 lines there's HX800 and HX820

The Panasonic models are really overpriced for low tier TVs, I'd recommend trying to pick one up as a refurb:

The mid tier models at 43 are the Panasonic 43HX900 or 43HX940 (same TVs again)..although not sure these are even sold in the UK. Sony also have the 43XH85xx models. These both use IPS type panels, so despite being mid tier TVs do some things worse than low tier models using VA panels.

Thanks.

Which Sony and Panasonic were you thinking of, they both offer several of that size

Thanks
The ones under mid tier, 40-43, not recommended (due to price)

Panasonic 43HX900 - Very overpriced considering the TV shares similar caveats with much cheaper options. 120hz IPS Panel. Dolby Vision and HDR10+ support. Wide colour gamut.
Sony 43XH8505 / 43XH9196 - Much like the Panasonic, it costs far too much money. 120hz IPS panel. It one of two paths to a 120hz panel at this size though.

Not very available, but Spatial (small NW chain) have the Sony

Dimensions With Stand
H62.4 x W96.5 x D26.4cm

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom