1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Want Want Want HTPC Case

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by tekmonkey, Dec 20, 2003.

1. tekmonkey

tekmonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anybody out there in the ether know of anything that can fulfil my requirements :

Full size atx M/B - so we can have hi spec machines!
    Silent Operation (or as near as damn it is to swearing)
    Brushed aluminium front etc
    Styling similar to Apple G5 would be nice
    Neat back panel
    Reliable
    Complete with HTPC interface and front panel display
    Remember that an Imerge unit is just a PC but the front and back panels are neatly finished off and hook up like hifi and HC kit

Why on earth can somebody not do this in a HTPC?

And with the decent level of support, sale or return kind of thing!

If PC case designers out there had any brains they would put on outputs onto the back panel for 5 bnc video (RGBHV that is encapsulated in a VGA lead) This is something commonly featured on CAD workstations and lets face it with a PC you can get pretty stunning levels of DVD playback it its done properley.

I just find the whole HTPC situation extremely annoying and the addrev. HTPC almost a contradiction in terms!!

And yes I do live with a enormous beige tower with I loathe!!!

I may yet just be done with it, go out and buy a Apple, at least they look good, and I believe a G5 can go on it's side. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Fustrated beige box hater!!! :confused:

and relax!

2. dek1965

dek1965

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
  3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Is there a Powerstrip equivalent on the Mac? What are the DVD decoders like, do they compare to those of Sonic?

4. Erpland

Erpland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you want a pint of blood as well? :devil:

1. Hi spec means hotter and noisier
    2. Mfrs going to the trouble of building HCPC cases might as well go the whole hog and build a proper machine that doesnt use Windows and bloatware.
    3. ATi were supposed to be bringing out cards with component out sockets, anyone know where they are?
    4. stop being so vein and chuck the chassis of the PC in a cheaply vented cupboard or even better another room or cellar using extension cables, and if you like, connect them all to cute little aluminium box with blue LED's, along side your extended external DVD drive (ally casing of course)
    :D

Sorry, if none of that helps how about an Antec Overture? have to make your own panel though, Desktop cases back in fashion thanks to HCPC freaks!
    Would probably go for it myself if I wasnt convinced of the stealth option.

5. phcjpp

phcjpp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Firstly I do not think you need a full size MB - micro - atx can run the latest processors and graphics cards without any bother.

Pls. see my recent thread on the standsunique case. Looks fantastic next to my meridian 861.

Chris

6. tekmonkey

tekmonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dek1965 - I hadn't looked at QuietPC in some time, to be honest I'd given up on them but you have just modded my mind! Is it a DIGN design? Does anybody out there know of any build issues?

I think I might just buy one!! Second thoughts SOLD!!

Erpland - a pint of blood would be nice ;-)

My thanks one and all!!

Monkey freedom now!!

7. Madders

Madders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    KraGorn - There is now a program comparable to Powerstrip on the mac, the new update to SwitchRes now lets you input bespoke settings. Software DVD players still suck though :rolleyes: They are getting closer though.

Steve