1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Want to Upgrade my Yamaha RX-V540\MS 3xx speakers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by robo989, Mar 7, 2005.

Tags:
  1. robo989

robo989
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Hi, I bought my current kit a year ago and now have about £1500 to spend on audio stuff - need to get a good receiver and new speakers for this (6.1\7.1 setup).

currently running in 6.1 (bought an extra Avant 905 centre, which i was never very impressed with to be honest, doesn't sound much better than my tiny 304 centre that is now being used for a rear)

Anyway, I've also decided to get a Panasonic PW7 42inch plasman to go with the new kit, so I've got room now for some floorstanding speakers - should sound better.

I like music, sorta trancy hard house n hip-hop tunes, although movies and PS2 gaming are my primary concern.

It must support Prologic IIx for 6.1 current amp annoys me cos playing ps2 games rear centre aint used.

Anyway, I'd be really greatful for some suggestions of kit to buy that match up well together.

1 final note, I do like the sound I'm getting now, but its not really meaty enough or full enough for my liking, when I listen to music you can't "chillout" to it with mates cos the sound tends to dominate the room (nothing to do with volume, it sorta has too much clarity and not enough body).

I recently got some cheapy Aural Envelope 300s from richersounds for £69.99 and in some types of music these sound much better than the ms speakers although not as much clarity and sound a little cheap its got much nicer harmonics to it prolly cos they're for music I guess.

Anyway I think I need to get floorstanders for the front left right and rear left right, just not sure what, also new centre + rear centre that will sound "right" with them

please help, thank you :)

Rob

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Nice AE evo series in the 6.1 config. £760
    http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/1554

May be able to find cheaper if you look arround. Alternativly buy the evo 3 fronts and evo 1 centre and then use some other for the rear surrounds (eg. bipolars) or even the evo compacts as they are sold individually.
    Cheaper option would be to get some Mordaunt short 914's to use as your fronts. Trade your aureal's againts them.:eek:
    http://ws1.richersounds.com/showpro...VANT-MAP&SID=87e7a556a19c27a6b55ce195c92bd77c

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/1281

If you want to save as much money as possible buy a Yamaha ax750/rxv750 or better still the 1500 or 2500 from Germany and save your self loads :smashin:

If you feel you want more power from your fronts the evos respond very well to adding a seperate power amp For example only:
    http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/538

Then bi-amp the evo 3's:D ALternativly buy a Marantz SR7500/8500/Denon 3805 and stay with only 5.1 and use the spare channels to bi-amp the evo's.

3. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm very surprised on your opinion of the 905 centre! I used to have the small 304 and upgraded to the 905c. Have to say I thought it was a HUGE improvement! I think it's an excellent centre speaker, especially for the money.

4. robo989

robo989
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    hmmm, Its a little better than the 304 in its sound, can go louder and doesn't bite your ears as much but it doesn't sound very smooth, my 304 tended to make a "hissy" noise say when you were watching the news and a word containing an "S" was spoken (a word like "spoke" in fact) especially if I set the amp to Variety\Sports program, the 905 did it too but not as prominently, I think its to do with the fact its sky digital and the audio prolly got a low bitrate sounds metallic + its got no base so nothing to soften it a little.

Uhhh anyway....I digress and am prolly talking outta my rear end just how it sounded to me thats all.

That evo 6.1 package looks pretty interesting. Could you recommend a couple of amps that sound and work well with it that cost inbetween £550-£800, and can do music pretty well etc etc

Is that evo speaker package considered "good"?

I really don't think I wanna spend £500 on a power amp, mainly cos I don't actually need THAT much power, n I've never owned one before. I'm kinda after a bigger sound, not neccasairly "louder" (but louder and bigger would be best). I'd like to buy something so that when I watch a film and there's an explosion I can "feel" it and not just here it (so a gud sub in the package is helpful but not just the sub)

Is it silly using floorstanders for the rear? I don't know anyone who does it or if they're not designed for that...

anyway, thanx for help so far n wud apprecaite some answers to the above or whatever advice you've got....

Thanx for ya time :) Rob