• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Want to upgrade my Rig but struggling with ideas!

Zippy77777

Hi there people

I hope someone can help. My system at present is an i5 3570K overclocked to 4.2, 16gb Ram and a GTX 970 at stock.

I mainly use my system for flight simming, mainly xplane 11 but I have noticed a frame hit quite savagely since upgrading from xplane 10, I also play other games such as Battlefield 1 etc etc.

I don't want to spend £1000 really. Happy to keep my old case, ATX mid tower. PSI Corsair 700w gaming PSU. Gigabyte board z77x-3dh .

Would just changing the GPU help, if so to what? Do I go AMD or stay nVidea? I know I need more vRam for simming. So 1060 6gb or 1070 8gb? or maybe even jump to rx-580?

I read about bottle-necking but don't really understand it. What is bottle-necking; what and where is my problem? In xplane 11 its showing a higher figure for the CPU so does that mean my system is CPU bound. So does that mean change the cpu and not the gpu??

I'm so confused. I just want to try and get a better experience is games. More FPS and less stuttering etc. Can someone please help me out and point me in the right direction.

Thank you so much in advance :)

ArmitageShanks

I read about bottle-necking but don't really understand it. What is bottle-necking; what and where is my problem? In xplane 11 its showing a higher figure for the CPU so does that mean my system is CPU bound. So does that mean change the cpu and not the gpu??
Bottlenecking occurs when one of your components is being held back by the performance of another. In other words, if your CPU is working at 100% and your GPU is only being utilised at 50%, your CPU is holding back your GPU - the CPU is therefore bottlenecking your GPU and should be upgraded.

Technically there is always a bottleneck of some sort (a system can only go so fast), but ideally you want it to be last device in the chain that limits the performance i.e. for framerate metrics it would usually be the GPU (if you had vsync disabled) or your display (if you had vsync enabled). If the GPU is keeping up and reaching the refresh rate and resolutions you require with the applications you use, then happy days :)

drinkturps

You current PC meets the recommended specs for the game. What resolution are you playing it at? Try running CPU and GPU monitoring to check the loads on both. Also check your temps to see if anything is throttling down. It looks pretty resource intensive. Is it just this game that you are getting the performance hit or is it across the board?

Zippy77777

I run the sim on a Samsung 55" TV through HDMI. Its a 4K TV but I run the sim @ 1080p otherwise the text is far too small to read.
I have checked the loads and I have to dial everything down to stop the gpu going over 3.5gb coz apparently the GTX 970 only has 3.5gb of fast memory.
When running resources monitor the CPU seems to be getting battered. Ram is fine running about 9gb from 16gb.
The CPU is always running with higher figures than the GPU!
Temperatures seem to be fine. Non gaming in the 30's and gaming in the high 60's to low 70's.
Other games are not too bad, the sim is the one I mainly use and want to boost if possible.

I have been told that the single core of the i7 7700K would be best but at the same time the Ryzen 7 1700 would be cheaper and although not as quick on that single core, would be a better investment for future proofing and in general is a more powerful chip!

Then which GPU, something with 8gb. 1060 6gb or 1070 8gb or RX-580 8gb?

ThuGLy

Are you sure you're not being thermally throttled on the CPU? Do you keep it dust free re-apply thermal paste etc? I know you want to upgrade but might be worth ironing out any issues with the pc if you want to recoup some of the money by selling what you already have.

Zippy77777

Are you sure you're not being thermally throttled on the CPU? Do you keep it dust free re-apply thermal paste etc? I know you want to upgrade but might be worth ironing out any issues with the pc if you want to recoup some of the money by selling what you already have.

Like I said above, my temps seem to be ok, never more than 70 at max load.
Should I use game mode on my Samsung TV?

ThuGLy

Like I said above, my temps seem to be ok, never more than 70 at max load.
Should I use game mode on my Samsung TV?
Yeah can't hurt won't make any difference pc side though. What frames are you actually getting?

Zippy77777

They jump about from 5 to 35. The cpu is defs maxing out!

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom