Want to spruce up my PC for £150-200?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by ellipr97, Jan 16, 2008.

1. ellipr97

ellipr97

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    :thumbsup:Hey, been a while since ive even taken the side panel off of my pc let alone bought a new pc component, anyway i want to give my machine a bit of an overhaul for around £150-200

here are the current specs:
    -s939 x2 3800+
    -2x512MB ram
    -Radeon x700 pci-e
    -80GB PATA boot drive
    -250GB SATA storage drive
    -CD/RW drive
    -Vista Business (free from my uni)

I mainly use it for work during the day, and in the evenings have it hooked upto my TV (see sig), and as you may have guessed i don't game on my pc, i have my x360 for that so no need for a beefy g-card.

What i would like is for my system to boot quicker, better media intergration (vista home premium?), a graphics card with a native HDMI output if they even exist, it would also be nice to use it as a PVR so i guess i would need some sort of remote control or something?

thanks for any help!

2. echrada

echrada
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    The first thing I would do is increase the RAM to the maximum.

3. kaidiez

kaidiez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Dunno about faster boots, maybe do a defrag, diskeeper is very nice has a 30 day trial i believe, it is the full version of what comes with Windows. I had to reformat to increase my start up time as from seeing the windows login screen to being able to use my comp was 5 - 10 minutes and no amount of uninstalling was fixing the problem. If this is the case and you dont mind the time it takes to reinstall everything, backup to a seperate partition / HDD and reinstall.

For vista I would def upgrade your RAM, from memory vista eats up 576MB idle :( with 2 gigs it shouldnt be nearly as sluggish. Or..... switch to XP but then I guess it doesnt have MC on it.

I dunno about HDMI out but if your card has a spare DVI slot you can get DVI --> HDMI cables, this is what I'm using atm, and as is digital to digital there should be no drop in quality, I personally wouldnt upgrade the gfx card just for hdmi out when there are alternatives and it is not struggling with what you are using it for.

IR receiver/remote: just saw some reviews on them today actually on Toms Hardware http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/Remote-Contol-PC-Remote-Controls-OrigenAE,review-30003.html that may be a good read. I have a remote for my pc but this involved a bit of modding. You will need an:
    Xbox DVD dongle and remote that comes with it (if you can find them!)
    Spare USB cable

Guide: http://www.redcl0ud.com/ir_wiring.html

I prob could have done the mod myself as it was not hard, but have an uncle who does electronics so he done all the soldering for me very neatly. Then cut out a piece of the bottom of the dongle case to put the cover back over and found a place to put it near my comp. Works like a dream, relies on hotkeys though and never having used MC I do not know what ones are available. The 360 remote may work with it as well as it is an IR remote but have not tested personally.

4. spongycortex

spongycortex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Intel P4 E2140 (£40-£50)

P31 mobo (£50-£60)

2Gb ddr2 (£30)

ATI 2400 -2600 gfx card (£30-£50)

ir reciever + remote (£10)

5. Seque

Seque

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Intel E2140 £40 ebuyer.co.uk
    Asus P5k SE £60 scan.co.uk
    2Gb corsair 800mhz ram £35 scan.co.uk
    256mb HD2400XT £40 www.scan.co.uk

£175

then if u fancy it get a Pioneer blu ray player £90 and overclock ur e2140 to 2ghz+ as it looks blu ray will win the war.

6. AnthonyG

AnthonyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,187
    The basic things I would do, is

Firstly check your motherboard and see what the maximum sized memory it will allow. And also which memory speeds it will accept.

Then get two sticks of the fastest speed RAM it can handle making up that max memory size.

Secondly if your PC is old likely all the components would be thick of dust. So buy a can of compressed air and blow around your components e.g CPU Heatsink, Graphics Card ETC. The temps on your PC should drop down by some bit.

The processor you have is still quite good but I would personally buy a better Graphics Card. Either the 2400XT, 2600XT or the ATI HD 3850 pro would be good choices.