Want to send a Home Video to the States

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by howardtay, May 2, 2007.

1. howardtay

howardtay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Don't know whether this is the correct forum for this question, apologies if I'm wrong.

I want to give a home video on DVD to my sister who lives in Fort Lauderdale, Florida but is currently on Holiday in the U.K, it was produced using Pinnacle Studio 10.8 and has been saved on my Hard Drive as an AVI file in PAL Format but I need to convert this AVI file to NTSC and then burn it to a DVD so that I can give it to her to take back to the States and play on her DVD Player.

Can I do this in Pinnacle 10.8 can't see the option anywhere.

Or is there any free software that will convert it for me, it will be the only one I will be converting, so I don't want to buy a piece of software that I will only use for this one file.

I don't have the original footage on DV tape so I can't re-edit the original.

Please help, as it is an important home video of our Dad who is 86 years old this year.

2. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    You can import a PAL AVI, into Pinnacle Studio and end up with an NTSC DVD

To make it an NTSC project in Studio ,
    under the menu: select setup, then project preferences

Under project format choose: use this format for new projects

then select: NTSC Standard :720 x 480 29.97 frames/sec 4:3 interlaced from the drop down selections

Now import your PAL AVI. ( dont change the TV format in capture source from PAL )

The software will then transcode your footage to NTSC from PAL when making the DVD.

You can then turn back the project preferences to PAL ( if that was what is was on) afterwards

NTSC DVDs usually play here without problems, the converse is not true (PAL DVDs dont play in the US except on the PC)

If you don't get any joy, you can Pm or email me

3. howardtay

howardtay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I knew you guys would not let me down.

Thanks for that, all becomes clear now, I couldn't think how to do it but of course Pinnacle preferences, DOH!

Thanks.