1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Want to see a Samsung LCD in glorious HD Action???!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Raze, Oct 21, 2005.

1. Raze

Raze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
  2. Raze

Raze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Has anyone seen it? What do you think??!! :p

3. Molhoy

Molhoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Very Impressive looking. Certainly no tearing happening there!

As you have already pointed out it's only a 'home movie' of the game being played, but based on this evidence the Samsung screen certainly looks to be a very capable performer when married to Microsoft's new baby.

There doesn't appear to be any blurring/ghosting at all, not even the slight 'loss of focus' that has been discussed on other threads as being an 'inevitable characteristic' of even the best LCDs when used in a gaming context.

I guess it would be foolish to judge the screen from this footage alone, but I must admit this has re-kindled my interest in the 32"/40" Sammys! :D

4. Raze

Raze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    If you go to the same site there are loads of vids of the screen, I just couldn't remb which ones they were as sometimes you only get to see the samsung logo half way thro the vid.

Check out the vid for ninety nine nights... it shows great use of depth of field... Im sure it was on a sammy too... looked awesome! ;)

5. barneyb

barneyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    any video on that site that has GP or gameplay is more than likely shots of the sammy screen. I saw one in the flesh the other day and they look great. Ive done alot of research into various HD LCDS and found this to be the best one. just waiting for stock and cash then I'm gonna place my order so I can get it set up for my 360 :D

6. Raze

Raze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yes I agree they are stunning! I took my componant toshiba 150 in to currys where they let me test it next to the toshiba.... Sammy was much better! I even tested the larger 37" Toshiba but didn't think much of it.

I've ordered the Sammy from JL :)

7. Pinoy

Pinoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What samsung model are we talking here ? I am about to buy an lcd but still confused which one to get . . is this better than Philips pf9830 ?

Thanks . . .

8. Molhoy

Molhoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi again Raze,

Out of curiosity, which Toshibas were they? Were they the WL56 range (light silver) or the WLT58 range (dark, gunmetal silver)?

I've been on the verge of buying the Toshiba 37WLT58 but now you've got me wondering if I should go for the 40" Samsung...

Can you describe the characteristics which made the Samsung stand out? In what ways did it surpass the Toshiba?

9. Raze

Raze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
  10. Raze

Raze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    They were the WL56 range. If you go to comet they should have the WLT58 range hooked up to a HD source - they also have the samsung 32" on a HD feed too ;)

I love Toshiba CRTs and I'm sure their LCDs are fab too, but I just really really liked the Sammy - picture was awesome via my 150e and it had lots of controls in the menu, where as the toshibas werent very tweakable at all :(

The Toshibas didn't have componant so I could only feed them a scart signal (but the scart output is also very good on the 150e as I previoulsy used it on a Panny 36" crt) but the results were dissapointing on the 37" Toshiba. Monsters Inc Looked brill (but it always does on any set!) but other films looked 'weak'. Probably would be better via Componant but I still dont think as good as the Sammy. The 32" toshiba was better than the 37" (as it had better contract) but again not as good as the Sammy. Apart from a better picture you just get a nicer 'feel' with it.

If you have a prog scan DVD player - why not take it down and test them side by side? Currys let me do it here Im sure if they thought you were gonna by one they'd let you too?

11. nick501

nick501

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +782
    not fair!

you cant compare screens using different quality connections. of course the sammy looks better HD than a Tosh scart!

and yes i have a tosh WL56! (LOL)

I keep saying this, but the lack of proper component on the tosh (wl56) is a pain......why did they leave it out?

BTW i thought the doa 4 game footage was dissapointing almost current gen..

I'll have to re-think getting this now.