• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Want to replace ageing 5.1 Sony STR DE475 Amp

orionzbelt1

Standard Member
Hi i am looking into replacing my sony 5.1 amp, i bought this 5.1 system as a kit but no longer have the original speakers as i have replaced them for mission bookshelf speakers i do still have the center and the sub.

my first question is if i buy a 7.1 do i have to have the extra 2 speakers or will the 7.1 amps just revert to 5.1.

I am replacing this amp as i like the idea of having hdmi in and out to cut down the wires going to my LCD.

I want to spend around £300 and want the most up to date decoders like Dolby true HD, i dont have a Blueray player yet but it will be added in some time soon.

Will i also still need Hdmi and optical for my sky hd as i think i read somewhere that sky hd doesnt support audio through hdmi.

i do like sony as a brand but am not afraid to but another brand.

any suggestions most welcome

dante01

Distinguished Member
There's no requirement to use all the speaker outputs on a 7.1 amp. You can use just 5 satellite speakers and a sub.

Yes, you will still need both the HDMI and optical ouput from the SKY box. The sKY boxes do not output multichannel audio via their HDMI interface.

I'd suggest the soon to be launched Sony STRDH800. This can be pre ordered from Play.com for £280:
Play.com (UK) : Sony STR-DH800 Receiver : Electronics - Free Delivery

Or the STRDG820 (the model which the STRDH800 replaces) for £230:
http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/sony/strdg820/sony-strdg820-blk

Of the new receivers that have recently been launched, I'd suggest the Yamaha RXV465 (£320) as an alternative to the Sony receivers mentioned:
http://www.petertyson.co.uk/ebuttonz/ebz_product_pages/yamaha_rxv465.shtml?fshop

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom