Want To Receive 13.0E, 19.2E and 28.2E

pixlrik

I used to have a motor for my dish, but due to some problems and it eventually stopping working on me I have decided to just try the multi-arm approach with 3 LNB's and a DiSEqC switch. I have seen a few LNB arms out there, but I'm not sure which one would fit my dish. I bought it from SatCure a few years ago and I think it's a Triax dish.

What would be the best LNB's to use?
Would there be a size issue as the 3 of them will have to be quite close in order to receive the 3 satellites?
Should I point the dish at a certain satellite and have the other 2 offset from that, if so, which would be the best to point it at?
What's the best DiSEqC switch to use? Can it be kept outside with the dish (waterproofed) and attached to the pole to keep everything tidy?
And lastly, where is the best (and preferably cheapest) place to get the LNB bracket from?

I only want to have the 3 on it, and some that I have seen have 4, which might be too big for the space my dish has to it's right (looking from behind). Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

panda23

Hi Paddy,by the time you add up the 2 additional LNB'S ,the holder and Disqec switch you are well on your way to a new motor.Just something for you mull over ;)

Healer

I can answer some of your questions for you Paddy because I've just gone down a similar route so that my Mum can still watch her Italian channels on Hotbird whilst I have the choice of 19e and 28e. Firstly I think Panda has a good point and you should consider it although you may have to get someone to set up the motor for you. Anyway back to your plan - Triax do a 20 degree bracket for their dishes and you can see them on satellite superstore's website. Their kits only cover 2 or 4 lnbs so you would have to buy them seperately if you want 3 (unless you the kit and keep one lnb spare). There are some options to upgrade the lnb to other makes if you want. The ones it show as default are narrow feedhorn so you can set up 13e and 16e but if you don't wish to do that then pick different lnbs with lower noise value (titanium gold, triax etc). I presume you will only be needing single lnb's ie. you're only sending to the one satellite receiver? For 13, 19 and 28e you can use the normal size 40mm clamp lnb's.
I'm not sure whether you should point the dish at a particular satellite as I've yet to receive my stuff (only ordered yesterday). They would probably be able to advise you over the phone though. I would guess it would be best to point at 13 or 19e as they are the weakest of the 3. Maybe 19e would be best as that's sort of in the middle.
Again I'm not sure about whether the specific diseqc switch is waterproof but again they should be able to tell you on the phone. I plan to clamp mine to the rear of the dish somewhere so I hope so!
The triax lnb bracket fits in the rectangular hole in the arm on the dish and has two lugs on it to hold it in place. Mine is a Triax TD88 dish.
You being in Ireland may need to check whether your dish size is enough to go this route. Hope I've been of some help.

Andy

pixlrik

I used to have a motor, but it was very difficult to set up and before, I had it low down so I could work on it, but now due to a house extension I don't have that space any more, so it has to be up high on the wall. I did get a local aerial/sat installer out to help with the motor, but he had no experience in motors and couldn't do much to help. That's when I discovered that the motor wasn't working and had to get rid of it. The position of my dish means it won't go any more east than 28.2E, but all I want to receive is 28.2E, 19.2E and 13.0E. The dish is tight against the roof to get 28.2E so I'm hoping that the motor attached to the pole (if thats the option I take) will raise it a bit higher so it's not such a tight fit. I still need some way of getting the motor to work. I was totally lost last time, but the dish was fine and could get the three satellites I wanted, just not a strong signal, which was probably due to how the dish was set up, as individually, I could get great signals on each with a normal dish on a poll in the ground, no motor and no massive height.

gandaservices

Standard Member
Hi Paddy,

I have a motorised dish that I use for testing etc, but for my own domestic setup I went for a Toroidal T90 Dish with 4 X Quad LNB's installed feeding 4 separate receivers scattered throughout the house. I pick up 1W, 13.0E, 19.2E and 28.2E (Plus a few others coming through on a good day or when I tweak the system). The motor route is fine for some people, but I prefer the instant satellite and channel change and the stability of my system in high winds (we get a lot of wind here in Wicklow). Now we can all watch different channels and satellites without arguements. It's not the cheapest option, but I'm delighted I spent the money to get it right.

pixlrik

I was thinking of just getting the LNB bracket and 2 extra LNB's on it for all 3 satellites, but I'm not sure what make my dish is and the brackets are all dish dependant. There would be no movement required and channel change would be a lot quicker for the long customised channel list. It's how to go about it all and get it set up. My dish is in a slightly tricky location at the moment and getting it set up on all 3 satellites would help before putting it back up on the pole. I could get a local independent installer to do it, but I would enjoy doing myself some lazy Saturday or Sunday, although I'd need some help to do it!

rickyt

You could use 2 dishes , that's 1 mini dish for 28.2* and a 90cm dish with a mono-block for 13* & 19* , all connected by means of a DiseqC switch . I have a motorised setup [1m Lenson, Jeager128]at the rear of my property and have always had a 60cm dish at the front of the fixed on Astra.I have them both conected to my TM1500 by means of a DiseqC switch .I find it easier , I always have the choice of 2 sats ,Thor or Hispatsat or Eutelsat ,etc and Astra when the footys on without the dish going back and forth especially late at night .

pixlrik

The two dish option doesn't sound bad, I could just use a monoblock on the 80cm dish I have up now being currently used just for 28.2E and get 19.2E and 13.0E, and then a seperate minidish for 28.2E. One problem though, the monoblock is Diseqc controlled... so would plugging it into a 3 way Diseqc switch not cause problems? The two Diseqc systems interfering, or am I being silly? Anyway, I don't know where I could put the mini dish for 28.2E. I do have a minidish with quad LNB on the front of the house thats feeding the living room (2 outputs for Sky+) and one for each front bedroom, but it would be too far to have a cable going from it to the very back of the house, probably 30 metres or so. That and there's no room left on it so I would have to buy a octo LNB for it. I must look and see where a minidish could be erected at the back of the house somewhere....

frenchie0101

hi paddy if its a triax dish then no probs cause triax do a multi lnb bracket they are costly though, so i recommend a new diseqc motor which are £45 on average, if you dont know how to fit it then average cost which a fitter would charge is £60 ish

pixlrik

I have bought a monoblock on eBay (delivery tomorrow hopefully) so even if I can't get a second dish up somewhere, I can still receive 19.2E and 13.0E, which are the two I want the most. Anything I need on 28.2E can be accessed in the other room, so if a new location for a mini dish cant be found, so be it.

If it can though, can I use a monoblock which has one output and is Diseqc controlled in a Diseqc 2x1 switcher and have 28.2E in one downlead and 19.2E and 13.0E combined from the monoblock in the other, or would that not work. Something tells me it won't. Maybe Ricky can shed some light on to the way he has his system set up.

Gedd

No mate..it won't work because of the monoblock having a built in one.

pixlrik

Thanks Gedd... I wonder what Ricky meant when he said about using a monoblock and a Diseqc switch. Can you get Monoblocks without the Diseqc feature built in? I wonder how I will get it all set up with 2 dishes if the monoblock already had Diseqc in it...?

pixlrik

OK, The dish I have is not set for any patricular satellite at the moment, as I am going to put the monoblock LNB on it shortly. Is it better then to have the dish aligned for Astra 1 with the offset LNB getting Hotbird or to have it set for Hotbird and have the offset LNB for Astra 1.

If the dish is set for 19.2E, (looking at the front of the dish, from the LNB's point of view) the monoblock should have the left side feed horm clamped in with a slight tilt going downwards on the right feed horn to enable better Hotbird reception? If anyone could show me a picture of a dish pointed at 19.2E with a monoblock on it would be a great help. I keep thinking I have it figured out then I read something else and it throws me off!

Also, what's the strongest transponder on 19.2E and 13.0E to tune to on my FTA box so I can measure the signal strength? Or maybe I should have the weakest too so I can make sure I can get them too!

rickyt

I hadn't realised the mono blocks had diseqC built in . I'm using single universals on each of my dishes .For the frequencys try :

http://w*w.lyngsat.com/europe.html

The Astra bird has the strongest signal , so it was allways best to point at Hotbird and offset to Astra .

pixlrik

So the offset LNB should be slightly raised in order to receive a good Astra 1 signal (basically the opposite of what I was going to do for Hotbird)?

I wonder where I could find out what the dishes elevation should be for Hotbird...

pixlrik

Got it, thanks Adrian. Elevation for Hotbird at my location should be 25.4**

Gonna try setting everything up shortly, will let you know how I get on.

pixlrik

Here's a question (remember I am dumb!)

The monoblock LNB I have says Diseqc 2.0 on the box, and my Techonomate 5000D (when you go to advanced search) only gives you the option for Diseqc 1.2. Does this mean that the LNB will work with all Diseqc types up to 2.0. or does it mean that it works with 2.0 only? In other words, am I going to need a new FTA STB in order for the LNB to get the sufficient power to receive the channels?

Healer

Here's a question (remember I am dumb!)

The monoblock LNB I have says Diseqc 2.0 on the box, and my Techonomate 5000D (when you go to advanced search) only gives you the option for Diseqc 1.2. Does this mean that the LNB will work with all Diseqc types up to 2.0. or does it mean that it works with 2.0 only? In other words, am I going to need a new FTA STB in order for the LNB to get the sufficient power to receive the channels?

You should be fine Paddy - no new receiver needed. I use diqeqc 1.2 to control 3 lnbs via a diseqc 2.0 switch. Some info on diseqc types here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DiSEqC

pixlrik

Just had a local satellite installer call round to align the dish for me, getting to it's location and the fine tuning were something I didn't fancy doing up a ladder!

Using the monoblock, the signal for Hotbird came in excellent on some transponders and very good on most others. Only one transponder could be found on Astra 1 though which was weird, if you can get one, you can get them all surely? Then the signal dropped completely for both satellites even though nothing was moved. they came back.. then left just as quickly. A different LNB was tried which gave the same results, so the monoblock is fine. Cabling was checked and it is fine also. The Technomate 5000D STB that I have would appear to be faulty so I am on the lookout for a new STB.

The local installer is letting me borrow one of his FTA STB's later this evening to see if the STB is the problem (which I think it is) and if so then all I will have to do is get a new STB somewhere. I quite fancy the Humax HDCI-2000 or get a Humax Foxsat and use the non-Freesat software part for the channels and getting HDTV.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom