Want to play Spotify playlist on Denon receiver and maintain crossfade

jjc1282

I have a party coming up and a playlist on Spotify that I want to play on my Denon S650H. I have crossfade enabled so the songs flow seamlessly one into the other. It's a silly thing, but it's important to me given how much detail I put into my parties.

Streaming, whether from my laptop or iPhone to the receiver, always disables the crossfade feature. In year's past, my work around has been to plug my iPhone into the USB port in the front of the receiver. But that means my phone spends the night tethered to the receiver. However, when I went to test it today, the receiver wouldn't recognize my phone. It receivers power and begins charging, but the receiver now says NO ITEMS TO DISPLAY.

My question: what are my options to play from Spotify, maintain crossfade, and if possible not, be without my phone and people unable to get ahold of me all night?

Here's what I have: Denon S650H, iPhone XR, PC laptop running Windows 11.

jjc1282

Bluetooth?
That's what I'm thinking. Here's what I can't figure out: is there a way to connect my phone to my receiver that doesn't go through the Connect feature, because I think this is what disables crossfade and other features. Is there a way to bypass Connect while streaming via Bluetooth?

two2midnight

Distinguished Member
I have a party coming up and a playlist on Spotify that I want to play on my Denon S650H. I have crossfade enabled so the songs flow seamlessly one into the other. It's a silly thing, but it's important to me given how much detail I put into my parties.

Streaming, whether from my laptop or iPhone to the receiver, always disables the crossfade feature. In year's past, my work around has been to plug my iPhone into the USB port in the front of the receiver. But that means my phone spends the night tethered to the receiver. However, when I went to test it today, the receiver wouldn't recognize my phone. It receivers power and begins charging, but the receiver now says NO ITEMS TO DISPLAY.

My question: what are my options to play from Spotify, maintain crossfade, and if possible not, be without my phone and people unable to get ahold of me all night?

Here's what I have: Denon S650H, iPhone XR, PC laptop running Windows 11.
1. Check phone settings as to why receiver shows no items to display. It sounds like the phone is not exposing it's file system etc. My (Android) phone has the option to use USB connection for charging only or for file transfer. The first option does not show the file system. Maybe something similar
2. Surely all the people who would want to get hold of you would be at the party anyway....;)

Last edited:

SeanBrothers

On the Spotify app there should be a little computer/speaker icon on or near the play bar. Make sure that you have selected your phone as the device to play, and not the AVR. (which will use Spotify Connect). You need to ensure that bluetooth is turned on for you receiver, which I think is turned off by default. My Denon shows up as an available bluetooth device.

DavidT

Apple Airplay?

DavidT

Actually, this is a better plan than bluetooth. The streaming quality is better and you should be able to keep your phone in your pocket so long as it remains connected to the same network as your receiver.
Agreed, I started using Airplay when I bought my iPhone and now use it all the time for Spotify with my Denon X2100 and X4500.

jjc1282

Thank you everyone for contributing so far.

I've tried with AirPlay. It works with the crossfade. But here's a new issue: there are small glitches in the audio. Like microsecond hiccups in the streaming. I don't know from where this is occuring. I'm on Wi-Fi, and everything is feet or inches from one another.

My next attempt is to get a Lightning to HDMI adapter and plug directly into the receiver.

Last edited:

jjc1282

Actually, this is a better plan than bluetooth. The streaming quality is better and you should be able to keep your phone in your pocket so long as it remains connected to the same network as your receiver.

Is this correct?

79554.jpg

SeanBrothers

Looks like it to me, but I don't have an iPhone, so I only use AirPlay from iTunes.
When I select the receiver with AirPlay, the receiver automatically runs HEOS to use AirPlay.

Bell Biv Devoe... That's going back!

jjc1282

Looks like it to me, but I don't have an iPhone, so I only use AirPlay from iTunes.
When I select the receiver with AirPlay, the receiver automatically runs HEOS to use AirPlay.

Bell Biv Devoe... That's going back!
I have a very loud Greek friend who'd give me what for if I didn't include her song.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom