want to make slid show for tv

M

merc43

I hope someone can help me make a slide show to show on tv through my dvd player.

1-I am using Roxio PhotoSuite 5 which going by the help contents I should be able to do this job,I have tried doing 3 disc using cd-r and cd-rw
but all I get on my tv is the Roxio logo and now slide show.

Was wondering if I have to use dvd disc in place of cd disc. I dont have a dvd writer.

2- Is there any other freeware program that could do this job for me or would I be better getting a dvd writer or I am missing something in Roxio

Using windows xp

Thanks merc43

No experience of Roxio but I use irfanview for doing this, its a free download and one (if not) the best free imaging/editing program available, I should be on commission as thats twice in two days I've recomended it :rolleyes:

It much depends on your DVD player.

Some players will play only DVD format and therefore you would require to write a DVD. Others will play VCD (video on a CD), some will play an MPEG file as well.

Read your DVD player manual to see what formats it will play.

Brian

When he plays the disc he gets the Roxio logo so something is writing to the disc his player can read but good point.
Irfanview creates Vcd's if you're player can read them then give it a go for nothing.

Hi all
Thanks for quick reply have had a look at my dvd book it is a Thoshiba sd-420e model and in the book it says it can play dvd -vcd &audio cd. it does say in the book not to use cd disc of 80 minute cd-r (700m) to 74 minute cd-r 650m. I only have the 700m ones so maybe that could be the problem.

will have a look at Infranview and try

Thanks again

Merc43

Hi
Have installed Infranview but it keeps asking for Nero full which I dont have, only use windows that comes with xp for writing discs.

Merc

merc43 said:
Hi
Have installed Infranview but it keeps asking for Nero full which I dont have

:suicide: Forgot it uses Nero plugins, I have Nero obviously :rolleyes:

Ok so back to what you do have, see here for a step by step Roxio VCD tutorial, other than that I would look at the DVD player disc sizes as you've already mentioned, goodluck.

The only true way to make slide shows for playing on your t.v. thru a dvd player is to use Adobe packages that are ready made for the job i.e. PhotoShop, Premiere & Encore. Using these one can display menu's, sub menu's dolbyTM sound and full links to many chapters complete with moving images in addition multi sound tracks & picture (video) can be added. All these software packages can be obtained from many sorces on the net (free) if looked in the right place. What is not included is the 5+ yrs practice required to use them or the multi monitor setup that is grenally required to output high quality results.

mikehb said:
The only true way to make slide shows for playing on your t.v. thru a dvd player is to use Adobe packages that are ready made for the job i.e. PhotoShop, Premiere & Encore. Using these one can display menu's, sub menu's dolbyTM sound and full links to many chapters complete with moving images in addition multi sound tracks & picture (video) can be added. All these software packages can be obtained from many sorces on the net (free) if looked in the right place. What is not included is the 5+ yrs practice required to use them or the multi monitor setup that is grenally required to output high quality results.

Mike are you sure you dont work for Adobe? :) I have been making slide shows from pics for TV for up to 5 yrs( :smashin: ) without using a single Adobe offering. Seriously, Apart from Encore I do have and use the Adobe programs but not for the above purpose.
Merc43
I would strongly suggest that although a cd writer to make video cds and blank cdrs is peanuts these days. Get a DVD writer. They are about £30 for a multi format dual layer 16x and the blank Discs are dead cheap. The resulting slide shows you can make will not be limited by space and you can put in music, motion menus with music and even put the jpegs/ music in a folder if they are desired. Plus DVD quality ( on T V )knocks the socks off VCD: that alone makes the case for DVD IMHO

Ulead make CD/DVD Pictureshow.now on ver 4 download a trial for free and give it a go
http://www.ulead.co.uk/dps/runme.htm

My personal favorite is Pro show Gold by photodex
http://www.photodex.com/products/proshowgold/
:apart form dvd with menu, and svcd / vcd it can also make autorun cds for the pc, screen savers and even standalone video files which you can use later to make a dvd containing video in another application. It also takes video and with the pics you can pan ,zoom and control the timing of the clips and transitions to specifically how you want it.

Mikehb did state the need to learn these programs , although there is no getting past that, some are easier to master than others
Good luck
Oh.. The net does have these programs .Although I dont encorage "free " use as such ,if the software companies do not offer a fair try before you buy system , by all means search for them .

Thanks for the reply. No I don't work for Adobe but have been using there software now for some 7yrs just been along to see your suggest site 'Pro show Gold' its not bad but i little like 'windows movie maker' suppose ok for beginners but even you'll agree its basic. Looking at your profile with a very pro system that you have, like me i think you enjoy the challenge of "build every thing yourself from menus thro design :clap: god bless "Illustrator" what i'm trying to say is practice, practice, practice the only way forward.

P4 2.66, 2 gig ram, twin diamond + monitors, Nvidia Ti4200, 3 x drives
color laser, black laser, A3 color printer, dvd RW, cd RW & scsi scanner. "and yes one does burn the night oil"

Thanks. I guess in my old age :rolleyes: I have become minimalist ie; the easiest way to get the job done is the best!

Pro show gold is actually very good at what it does and very unlike windows movie maker, it has a lot of output (including customised) options .It is even better featured than the Ulead offerings, but is less well known. The pan and scan, zoom animated titles are a notch above a novice level software.
The inability to key frame effects will probably not be miised by a newbe just trying to find thier feet

I used to use Adobe premiere 6 - pro1.5 a lot having used it with Pinnacles dv 500 then pro one hardware cards for real time preview (I still do now and again just to keep my hands dirty) But now use Liquid Edition 6.1 as well as DVD WS2. And a host of the Adobe programs as well as Tmpgenc, Procoder 2 and Sound forge ( when I feel like altering sound).
Because I have multiboot (winxp pro x3) on 2 machines I can experiment with different solutions without any clashes by badly behaved software and decide which one does what better .
Once you get past the unfamiliarity of Liqiud's GUI compared to Premiere, It is a joy to use. Its ability to do 2d or 3d editing of clips in real time , the hollywood fx and infinite keyframing abilities mean you are only limited by your own level of creativity .
However, I almost never use it to make slide shows. In fact, I could make a slideshow outputted to mpeg2 with Proshow Gold, simple video clip with Pinnacle Studio (10) , Very fancy intro video and title with Liquid Edition and then author a dvd with all 3 elements in DVD Workshop2: (" belts and braces" :cool: )
Prior to making the slideshow the pics would have gone into Photoshop ( cs2) or Photoshop Elements 3 for some editing and compositing. In fact,APE can do slideshows and Studio ( when it works !) is capable but I think a noobee would appreciate a simple easy to use Program.: hence the suggestions
The point you aptly make is that these simple programs soon become limiting ..sure then it will be time to learn the fundamentals for maximum control over the process and see how far you wish to go !

i'd kill for 2 machines, currently dabbling with Max & Bryce with a bit of Maya last attempt was an unhealthy 5 days render in Bryce got 9 secs but ooh so lovely. 2 machines twice the speed wish i could afford them :clap:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom