Want to Hire AVR / Atmos / Audio expert

MEGFL

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi!!

Do any of you know of “yourself” or a business that can help me with my AVR and knowledge or whats going on? I 100% will pay for your time.

I hate bothering you all with my 1000 questions but its how my brain works so im sorry.

Here is my issue(s) and Im willing to pay for someone either near me or by phone for help.

Receiver(s) : Pioneer SCLX904 and Pioneer VSX304 and Sony STHDL750 and Pioneer VSX-50 (happens with all)

3 are brand new I actually bought the VSX 304 today to try to figure out where/what my issue is. Or if I even have one.

Speakers : Definitive Technology 9080 (4 towers and 1 center). 2 klipsch reference subs
all 12g wire. all 1 month old.

TV : 2020 LGOLED 77 inch GSX (although I had an Insignia 65 inch 4K before the LG which I just had installed yesterday and same issues) 2 days old.

Xbox One X (new) 3 days old

Scenario / Issues /

Configuration : 5.2.4 (front/rear height) on the receivers that support it or 5.1/2

1 gig att up/down internet. All devices hard wired

Subs using rca, speakers are both powered and passive

Initial Issue : Streaming from Netflix, Prime video, Disney or Hulu speakers would start to shut off. By shut off they would stop producing sound. The LED light on them would turn off.

On the receiver front (either) it shows that all speakers are lit up. The info/status of the receiver and the source (tv or xbox) show the same.

Yet no matter what signal or source or whether its better than a 2.0 PCM / Stereo, speakers will stop producing sound, for so long they time out and go to sleep.

And even when its 2.0 ill get center channel and nothing else. Its random when it happens but its happening more often.

As much as I know I said they stop producing sound in super fractional times, either you hear low voices from the Atmos height but the primary speaker is off or you barely hear noise from the speaker but the led is off. This is super rare.

I don't even know how to isolate and each manufacturer says its not them. Again Im willing to pay for someones time.

Thank you!!

It would be good to know, how exactly each of your tower speaker is connected to your amp? I assume that „passive part of the speakers” (see photo below) are driven by Pioneer’s built in amplifier, right?
How did you connect each of your tower speaker’s LFE input with receiver?
Did you use the pre-out rca sockets for each channel or share receiver’s dedicated subwoofer output among 4 towers?

Attachments

• 7EE78D7E-BB69-40E7-8C06-98B9639A57FC.jpeg
    7EE78D7E-BB69-40E7-8C06-98B9639A57FC.jpeg
    215.6 KB · Views: 36
Found this in the manual. Which option apply to your setup?

Attachments

• def.PNG
    def.PNG
    167.1 KB · Views: 47
It would be good to know, how exactly each of your tower speaker is connected to your amp? I assume that „passive part of the speakers” (see photo below) are driven by Pioneer’s built in amplifier, right?
How did you connect each of your tower speaker’s LFE input with receiver?
Did you use the pre-out rca sockets for each channel or share receiver’s dedicated subwoofer output among 4 towers?

Hi @dobrykamil,

So based on how DT told me to connect them it is like this. So the atmos / speakers passive part are plugged in to the receiver "amp" for power yes. I have them plugged in to support the subwoofer that is in each, that I was told gets signal even without the LFE plug because it will use the Large setting in the AMP to push data to the Subwoofer (which definitely works).

I have 2 separate subs so I don't use the LFE plugs on the speakers. So in my receiver I have configuration

On my Elite Pioneer SCLX904, I actually have it configured as 5.1.4, Subwoofer set to yes and Zone 2 On, because that receiver is a full 11.2. During playback, Zone 2 is off for all testing/issues I see.

On my Pioneer VSX-304, which I bought yesterday to debug, its 5.1.4, Subwoofer set to yes, Zone 2 Off.

DT told me that the LED on the front only works if the Sub is in use. While I agree with that (I have unplugged them and still get sound), when the light goes out on its own (speaker times out) all sound is gone period.

According to DT and Pioneer this is correct, but wtf do I know lol

I want to point out, that the only thing that is consistent is the center channel. To me... that points (possibly) to the fact that the Towers have the Atmos attachments on it while the center does not. So maybe that's somehow the issue with the speaker.

Attachments

• AVR-Speaker-Back-Image.JPG
    AVR-Speaker-Back-Image.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Found this in the manual. Which option apply to your setup?

HI @dobrykamil,

I actually called them, because I knew I wanted to use the Atmos (Height) + Speaker + Powered Sub (Set to Large) and LFE 1 & 2 on my receiver to stand alone Subs

They said this was no problem and a standard "custom" configuration that is supported.

Hope that helps and thank you!!

While I don't expect people to watch this unless they are really curious :). This is a video of my issue. Please excuse me I am handicapped and its hard for me to use my arms or talk so my recording ability stinks.

What you see
1. I am using the Xbox One X, through my Receiver. I am playing Hulu/Netflix and initially only the center channel works, but the signals say more should.
2. One more speaker finally comes on.

Swap to TV apps
1. Use Hulu/Netflix/Disney but only the center and one other speaker come on.
2. Swap back and forth between TV Apps and XBOX same issues
3. XBOX turns off and accidentally turns it all off. Come back on... starts all over Center and One speaker only

Note: At one point my receiver says its getting PCM 2.0 from my xbox. I get that means only the fronts, but in the video you'll see the speaker doesn't light up and there is no sound (so no 2.0 coming through).

290MegFileOfMyIssueOnMyOneDrive

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you get sound from passive speakers if the mains cable is disconnected?

Last edited:
Sorry, the link above doesn't work. What if you set amp to EXT. STEREO mode and play internet radio or music from usb stick? Disconnect all hdmi cables at this point.

Sorry, the link above doesn't work. What if you set amp to EXT. STEREO mode and play internet radio or music from usb stick? Disconnect all hdmi cables at this point.

Apologies I fixed the link. If I set it to ext stereo it will play on all speakers, at least until it decides to stop lol. I will try what you said with just the NET / audio nothing else and update. Since its random could take me until later.

Do you get sound from passive speakers if the mains cable is disconnected?

My apologies when you say the passives. Do you mean the Height (upper) versus the main? If so I havent tried but I will do that as well. Its been weird like in the video where randomly (and not very often) a random speaker would in fact have sound in the passive height but not the main. Even weirder to me, is that when that happens, the sound coming in lol isnt even atmos. so no idea why it would produce “talking” noice as if its in stereo but only that one atmos. You can see it in the video. Tootally weird

The link to your video didn't work for me either.

I had a quick look at the manual and it says that there is an LED that turns off after 20 minutes if it detects no signal. I wonder if this auto sensing function is faulty?

Are you saying that whatever you are playing, even if it's just stereo music, that the sound cuts out after a period of time?

The link to your video didn't work for me either.

I had a quick look at the manual and it says that there is an LED that turns off after 20 minutes if it detects no signal. I wonder if this auto sensing function is faulty?

Are you saying that whatever you are playing, even if it's just stereo music, that the sound cuts out after a period of time?

I am super sorry. For some reason when I put the link into their add link it breaks its. so I am just gonna put it here

UGG -- every time i paste it it breaks it

its supposed to be https://gernaey-my.sharepoint.com/ then an : and then a v and then a : /p/michael/EVc1HcCcP8pDrIPZfzIgZqUBWHrqnJmsfsVS4-lCiOq9gg?e=ocFLjC

but the ✌ breaks it

the image i attached shows what i mean by the link. I am so sorry its being goofy.
Filename AVR-Speaker-Debug.mp4

I dont know how to stop it from turning those into characters :-( and breaking the link

To Answer you @Rambles, yes exactly. You'll just be watching whatever and then any of the Towers will power off (now the DT person got mad when I said that because he said well they can still produce sound without the LED being on.) So I said fine... it goes off and no sound ever comes back out... So whatever lol :)

Then swapping to other things may or may not resolve it (in the video it did not). Not until I waited for stuff to time out again on the speakers and restart a movie..

Very very weird. And since they are the only speakers with Atmos on them I wonder too..

Thanks!!!

Attachments

• link.JPG
    link.JPG
    17.5 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I get sign in issues with that link.

From what you are saying, it seems to me that the speakers are faulty. Can you return them?

It looks like there are three parts to the speakers, the heights, the mains and the sub. There are electronics in the speaker to direct audio to the different drivers, and it seems that they are faulty. After 20 minutes the auto sensing is kicking in and switching off audio that it shouldn't.

I had a quick look at the manual and there doesn't seem to be any way to turn that auto sensing off.

In fact, there are hardly any settings at all. Did you buy them recently, from new, can you return them, or exchange them for some others that hopefully are not faulty?

Man I am not good at this sharing thing lol I am so sorry @Rambles. Yes I can return them. I bought them about 1.5 months ago and have been having these issues since then.

I bought them directly from DT on their website. I think I will return them and get Klipsch instead. I just, to you point, have no settings or anything I can really do..

Ok... also... last absolute time.. I put them on my personal one drive instead and shared them...

AVIssues

Seems one drive for business hates real sharing... but personal works ok..

Thanks!!!!

That video worked! I watched it, and it's definitely confusing. I presume you are confident that everything is cabled correctly?

The Xbox raised questions for me, as that does do weird things with sound. If you set it to a 5.1 or 7.1 output, but play back a stereo soundtrack, it sends silence to the empty channels, which means the receiver thinks it's getting audio for all of the channels, but some of them are filled with silence.

However, the problem that you are having, seemed to persist when you switched to the app on the TV, so I think it is the speaker that is the problem.

I don't know what your consumer rights are in the US, I am in the UK, but it seems to me that they are not working correctly, so either need exchanging or repairing or maybe a return for a simpler product, e.g. a passive speaker with no electronics in it, might suit you better?

Thanks for having patience with me on the Video @Rambles.

Yes I am 100% certain they are cables correctly. I had the cables redone twice, just so I could be 100% sure its not incorrect and verified with DT themselves.

Also on the XBOX One X. Agree with you. I actually have it set to BitStream / Bitstream Atmos for Home theater so I know it can act differently for sure, which LOL was why I was glad to get the TV that had all of that so I could see it from another source.

That and its the 4rth receiver I have tried to resolve this issue with and yet... I cannot.

Agree also 100%. I am going to return them and get Klispch, Passive speakers, which will make my life easier.

Again thank you!!!

I'd love to send you and
dobrykamil some gift certifics from amazon if you two will allow me :).. Lord why is this now bold.

Absolutely no need but I very much appreciate your generous offer! Keep us updated on how things progress. :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom