Want to go 'smaller' but which?

pete s

Prominent Member
Reaction score
My current 5.1 set-up consists of B&W DM601-S2 fronts, Mordaunt Short MS905 centre, MS903 rears and an MS309 sub, driven by my Yammy DSP-AX763 amp. I do also have the MS902 fronts stashed away which can be used in place of the B&W's, but they do not perform as well with stereo music listening.

I would like to downsize the speaker set a bit to reduce the visual impact and free up some space in the front room, but without compromising too much on sound quality. I'm happy to keep the existing sub, which although large is tucked away nicely.

Any ideas what 'smaller' 5.1 set-up may fit the bill? :)

B&W VM1, LM1, MA Radius, Bose Acoustimass. How small do you wanna go? Whats your budget?

My current 5.1 set-up consists of B&W DM601-S2 fronts, Mordaunt Short MS905 centre, MS903 rears and an MS309 sub, driven by my Yammy DSP-AX763 amp. I do also have the MS902 fronts stashed away which can be used in place of the B&W's, but they do not perform as well with stereo music listening.

I would like to downsize the speaker set a bit to reduce the visual impact and free up some space in the front room, but without compromising too much on sound quality. I'm happy to keep the existing sub, which although large is tucked away nicely.

Any ideas what 'smaller' 5.1 set-up may fit the bill? :)

I have a similar setup, with the MS 904 floorstanders, 902 rears, 905c and Velodyne sub running on a Marantz 7300, the setup is about 8+ years old now. Last weekend I demo'd the Monitor Audio Radius HD R270's, R225 and R90's, and 370 sub on the Denon 2310. Needless to say I was quite blown away by this setup coming from my setup. The clarity was far superior with the surround sound sounding much more natural than my setup (which sounded quite artificial at times). From what I can gather the speakers were brand new also so were in no way run in, but with 100+ hours on them they should sound very sweet.

I've opted for 3x R225HD's for the front and 2x R180HD's for the rear, I'm keeping my sub with a view to change this later if need be, perhaps a Monolith :D I also opted for the Denon 2310 which I have here already, I collect the speakers tomorrow. Sevenoaks in Tonbridge Wells did a pretty good deal for me. :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom