Want to get an Android powered Tablet

Jay Z

Hi Ladies and Gents,

I am looking to get my first tablet and want it to be an Android powered device, Just don't like Apple lol!

I was looking at the Samsung Galaxy S Tab and the Motorola XOOM, but I don't know which one to get, I know the Moto has the larger screen. Not too sure when it's out though and the price range.

Can anyone help and share some advice please? It would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Regards,

Jay

RobM

Distinguished Member
Sit tight for another month or so and let the market for Honeycomb tablets settle down. You'll pay a premium right now, which wont be the case once all manufacturers have something on the shelves.

You can walk into CarPhoneWarehouse and buy an Xoom now, which is the pick of the Android tablets IMO and the one I'd go for if I were in your shoes. But as more competition is launched, you'll be able to get an equally good tablet for less money. You'll also have a much wider range of tablet sizes to choose from, as the Xoom is a hefty beast and wont appeal to everyone.

chromosome

I agree with RobM, tablet will be like laptops. Will drive the prices down when more comes out

Sent from my mobile

hyperfish

Distinguished Member
I bought the Xoom for my wife's birthday while on holiday in the US and so was £100 cheaper than the UK. It is a good device, but as already stated there are plenty on the horizon. The unreleased Toshiba looks particularly interesting.

oddbubble

I was talking to the manager at the toshiba outlet near me, and he was saying that there new tablet is quite a bit kit and that they have gone all out this time due to the faliure of there last one

RoadBlock2000

Standard Member
I've got my eye on the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (when it gets launched). The larger screen is what I'm after & the extra processing power wouldn't go a miss...

I did find that when comparing the current Galaxy Tab next to the iPad it didn't feel quite as responsive when 'turning pages' & flicking through photos.

I think its going to be the year of the Android Tablet and agree with all the other posts that prices will drop as choice increases in the latter half of this year.

kevzee

Standard Member
Anyone had any experience with HD video playback on android tablets?
I am looking to playback HD cam recorded video via the SD/microSD card on a tablet
Kevin

RobM

Distinguished Member
I've had the chance to play around with quite a few Android tablets, some cheaper ones like the one above, some more expensive from the usual brands you'd expect. Not once have I found a cheaper tablet that goes even a tiny way to offering the same user experience as those from the big boys.

Buy right, buy once. Don't waste your money on cheap tat.

funkyspider

That tablet has a resistive touch screen rather than capacitive. Resistive relies on pressure which means you can't swipe, or at least can't swipe easily.

Id be interested to know what you think, but having used a cheap resistive screen android tablet I wouldn't buy one myself I'm afraid.

If I was buying a tablet I think id still go with a second hand iPad first gen at this point in time. For the price the 16gb wifi version can be picked up for now they are an excellent buy. I switched from iPhone to Android. I've not used a honeycomb device yet, but for the user experience and the sheer quantity of cheap excellent apps I doubt it will touch iPad just yet.

Last edited:

DaveBhoy

I picked up an android vega from these forums. Really nice tablet and loads cheaper than some others I had been after. Limited viewing angles are only downside. With a custom rom installed, it is flying. Have also seen an alpha for honeycomb on it. Might be worth checking out

jlm32

:)
Decided to bite the bullet and went ahead with buying a Flytouch 3 Superpad 2 Tablet from Fleabay. Hope it's not a fake one :(

The one I brought is on this link
10.2 EPAD Flytouch 3 SuperPad 3 Android 2.2 512MB 8GB on eBay (end time 15-May-11 19:24:58 BST)

My apologies if this link is not allowed.:blush:

Any thoughts on the tablet?? Just want one to play around with and not having to spend too much money on one either.

i think for £50 more would have gone with the advent vega tablet,
just think with the screen being a resistive touch screen rather than capacitive
it may be a bit disappointing hope i am wrong.
please let us know what you think when you get it :)

oddbubble

DaveBhoy said:
I picked up an android vega from these forums. Really nice tablet and loads cheaper than some others I had been after. Limited viewing angles are only downside. With a custom rom installed, it is flying. Have also seen an alpha for honeycomb on it. Might be worth checking out

You should check out the ink adam aps. There is a dump of them on xda. The email app is by far the best one around for tablets. And there other apps are pritty good aswell

plasma3d

WildgooseUK said:
Decided to bite the bullet and went ahead with buying a Flytouch 3 Superpad 2 Tablet from Fleabay. Hope it's not a fake one :(

The one I brought is on this link
10.2 EPAD Flytouch 3 SuperPad 3 Android 2.2 512MB 8GB on eBay (end time 15-May-11 19:24:58 BST)

My apologies if this link is not allowed.:blush:

Any thoughts on the tablet?? Just want one to play around with and not having to spend too much money on one either.

How did you get on with your flytouch 3 superpad.. I'm looking at buying my daughter one for Christmas?

Thanks
Neil.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom