Want To Get A Blu-Ray Player

pressman

Standard Member
Hi Guys,

Your help is required for me to decide what I need! Currently I have a Sony DAV-DZ630 5.1 system which I find adequate for my needs. I want to replace the DVD player with a Blue-Ray player and was thinking of getting the Sony BDP-S550? Would it be a "straight swap" i.e. speaker connections, hdmi to tv (Sony KDL 32D3000) or do I/will I require anything else? Thanks in advance.

The Gooner

Novice Member
Hi
Im not to familiar with the Sony DAV systems, but I believe all the DAVs are DVD all in one systems, Therefore you cant simply replace the DVD player as the box with the DVD player in in is actually your amplifier and decoder as well.
You can however connect a Blu Ray player to it and let it decode the sound formats for you. But as you dont have a HDMI input on the DAV system only an Output (I think, just had a quick look at the specs), you would need to connect your Blu Ray to TV on HDMI then connect an optical cable from the player to the DAV system. This will only give you DD and DTS decodong though none of the Dolby TrueHD and DTS ES decoding,
If you do want the newer sound formats as well then you will need an amplifier/receiver to decode these sound formats for you, connect the Blu Ray to this and connect speakers/sub and your away. Im not sure how well the speakers will go with a new amp though, does your sub take its power from the Dav system or has it got its own plug?

pressman

Standard Member
The Gooner,

Thanks for your reply.

Seem,s like I am "snookered" with what I have, no optical on the DAV, the sub is powered from the DAV. I guess what I am Looking for is an all in one receiver/amp with player that I can connect my current speakers to, if there is such a thing? If not, what would you suggest, (mid range model/cost) where to look?

Bald Monkey

Novice Member
Last edited:

The Gooner

Novice Member
Hi Pressman
Sorry my mistake, I quickly looked at your system and saw Optical but didnt see the 0 next to it, so your right you have no way of getting the sound into the DAV System.

If your happy with the all in one systems then this may be the best route to take again, but Like Bald Monkey has said you will be buying speakers ect. and future upgrades could be once again costly.
From my own experience (as limited as it is) I have always found and had better results from a sepeatres system, but you do need to set a budget then fire questions away to try and get what is best suited for your needs.

I am currently selling a Denon 2809 amp, Panny BD35 Blu Ray player on ebay, PM me if you want the auction detals
MODS ^^^^^ my apologies if this is not allowed please delete if you want.

Using seperates does allow easy and cheaper (LOL wife dosnt think so) upgrades as you want to progress or should say feel the need for bigger and better unecessary requiremnets that you convince yourself is a must.

:thumbsup:

pressman

Standard Member
Hi,

Had a quick look at this, BDV-E300 on the Sony UK web site. Could be a contender if I choose to go for a HTIAB. Its a pity the player can not be bought on its own?

The Gooner

Novice Member
yes indeed, probably why seperates is so popular for the convenience of matching what you want together.
Hope you get sorted with something you are happy with

pressman

Standard Member
Hi Guys,

May be being swayed towards the BDP-E300 system (son's influence at work). Just one question, the speakers I currently have with my DAV-DZ630, which fit in nicely in my lounge and would like to continue to use if possible, are rated at 3 ohms. Would these be ok to use with the BDP-300?

Bald Monkey

Novice Member
The spec of your speakers are irrelevant in relation to your player.

The problem is how do you connect the 300 or any BR player to your existing amp and if you can't you need a new amp that will either work with your existing speakers or change the speakers. But as these are from an all-in-one you will therefore probably have to change the lot.

What's so important about keeping your speakers? Have you just painted around them? :D

There must be a BR all-in-one system which has speakers very similar to your existing ones?

Bald Monkey

Novice Member
The BDP-300 is an old BR player now. You mightbe better looking at the S360, it's been as low as £80 recently, and is newer and faster AFAIK.

But then you will need an all-in-one system that accepts a digital input or a seperate receiver/amp and speakers.

pressman

Standard Member
Bald Monkey,

Thanks for your reply.

Reason for keeping my current speakers are that they sit nicely each side of my Sony KDL32D3000 tv and the rear speakers are wall mounted, as I said "fit in nicely". Reason for considering the BDP-E300 is that it is a BDP and receiver/amp all in one, no need for player and seperate amp/reciever. I believe that I can not utilise my current DAV-DZ630 (dvd) unit. As for the BDP-E300 being an old player, for the price and spec I think is reasonable buy!

Bald Monkey

Novice Member
Ahh.. the BDV-E300, not the BDP-300 :D :suicide:

You might be sorted then.. you need to check the rating as you say but also check the actual speaker connections etc.

now I get you :smashin:

pressman

Standard Member
Bald Monkey,

As far as I can see, the connections for the speakers are the the same for the BDP-E300 as for my current DAV-DZ630 (plug style) in to the player and "clips" in to the speakers. I just end up with a spare set of speakers which I can maybe use with something else or with the new unit if the current ones fail!

Bald Monkey

Novice Member
You should be fine then :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom