Want To Connect With HDMI - Where Do I Connect The Optical Lead?

quarry2006

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I've had my Xbox 360 connected to my tv via the component lead that came with the console, the one with the optical connection on it. I want to get rid of the bulky component cable and connect the 360 to my tv using HDMI. However, if I get rid of the existing lead, where will I connect my optical lead to? Surely I don't have to leave the component cable attached, simply for the optical connection?

The HDMI cable deals with the picture and sound together so you will not need to connect the optical lead.

I will if I want surround sound through my amp.

The slim version of the console has a dedicated optical out, but I'm guessing you have an older style one?

Details here on how to get optical out with HDMI on the old style console:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/xbox-360/982786-hdmi-optical-out.html

Edit: Looking at the manual for your receiver, it says it can support audio over HDMI. You could just connect the xbox through the receiver with HDMI only.

Last edited:
Must be the older style. One look at that link seals it for me - I won't be getting the HDMI cable. I'm not fannying around with screwdrivers, nor am I buying a "dongle". I just wanted to get the HDMI cable and connect with no fuss or need for anything extra. Thanks all the same :)

The slim version of the console has a dedicated optical out, but I'm guessing you have an older style one?

Details here on how to get optical out with HDMI on the old style console:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/xbox-360/982786-hdmi-optical-out.html

Edit: Looking at the manual for your receiver, it says it can support audio over HDMI. You could just connect the xbox through the receiver with HDMI only.

By receiver do you mean my tv? If I connect the Xbox to the tv with the HDMI cable, I won't get surround sound, which was my earlier point.

To hell with it; I've ordered the official HDMI with the dongle.

Last edited:
No, I mean the receiver.

I'm assuming that the receiver you are using is a Samsung AV-R601 as that's what you have listed in your signature?

I downloaded the manual for it here:

Support for AV-R720 SAMSUNG

According to that manual, there are two HDMI inputs on the receiver. If this is the receiver you are using, you can connect the xbox 360 direct to one of these with an HDMI cable. The receiver will extract the audio for playback, then pass the video signal on to your TV via the HDMI out.

Thanks but, dagnabbit, while the R720 might have HDMI inputs, the RV601 definitely doesn't. More's the bloomin' pity.

No worries - just waiting on the postie to bring it now.

However, this discussion has strengthened my interest in upgrading my amp (sorry, I didn't know they were also called receivers). I've recently bought a Blu-ray player and I'm aware I'm not getting the best sound if I can't connect the player to the amp.

However, this discussion has strengthened my interest in upgrading my amp

A common problem when using these forums... ;)

A receiver has a radio receiver built in, whereas an amplifier doesn't. Besides that they are the same thing. If your amp has a radio, then technically its a receiver. Most people use either term though.

This is interesting to me as I have a similar problem albeit with a blu ray player not an xbox 360.

The HD audio Dongle came with post 2006 Elites, but that stopped in the last two years. Luckily I bought the elite so mine came with the audio dongle, but now I'm having to get a coaxial to optical splitter so that my sodding TV doesn't send ProLogic to my 5.1 tritton amp.

Never do the optical cable through the TV, it's crap, my amp is designed for 5.1 surround sound but my sodding TV wont send it (Samsung LE32C530). The audio dongle is the simplest (and best) option.

It's a damn shame that the xbox 360 didn't originally come with an optical connection built in, the old style PS2 I bought a couple of months ago has that connection lol

360 do have optical connections built in?

Sent from my secret lair via my personal midget Miguel

SlipshodDread said:
new ones do, one's before the 360 slim, do not

???

Are we on about same thing here? Optical socket for a toslink cable? Cause the old ones do have it...my 60gb does?

If you compare the two styles of consoles, you will see that there is a dedicated optical out on the slim version, but not on the original style (see first attached pic).

To get optical audio out of the original style console, you need to have a compatible A/V cable or the audio dongle connected to the A/V out. The optical connection is then on the back of the A/V cable connector head (second attached pic).

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 191
StevieBuck said:
If you compare the two styles of consoles, you will see that there is a dedicated optical out on the slim version, but not on the original style (see first attached pic).

To get optical audio out of the original style console, you need to have a compatible A/V cable or the audio dongle connected to the A/V out. The optical connection is then on the back of the A/V cable connector head (second attached pic).

Good point I used the supplied cable with optical for the 60gb that's what I was thinking of

The cable arrived yesterday and it's all hooked up now, sweet as a nut. Why, though, if I turn over to the tv when the 360 is on, does the 360 reload its opening screen when I turn back?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom