Want to buy someone who lives in a house with thick walls a freesat box

Sharp Shard

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Got a problem here that I'm hoping you can help me with.

I would like to buy a Freesat box for someone whose has ridiculously thick walls, so much so in fact that Freeview boxes tend to only offer [very] few channels and mobile phone signals constantly cut off if calling this person when he's inside the house.

Obviously, it completely defeats the purpose of buying him a Freesat if it goes the way of the 3 Freeview boxes he's tried and offers an extremely reduced service, so what can I do to ensure that doesn't happen?

I'm also on a tight budget and wondering what the best box I could get for around £50 would be.

Thanks in advance. Any help greatly appreciated.

Am I correct in assuming you were trying to receive Freeview on an indoor aerial and expect to do the same with Freesat?

Indoor aerials are not recommended for Freeview and an indoor dish is impossible for Freesat.

Both require an outdoor aerial/dish for best results.

The only problem with thick walls is getting the aerial/dish cable through!

Sharp Shard said:
Hi all,

Got a problem here that I'm hoping you can help me with.

I would like to buy a Freesat box for someone whose has ridiculously thick walls, so much so in fact that Freeview boxes tend to only offer [very] few channels and mobile phone signals constantly cut off if calling this person when he's inside the house.

Obviously, it completely defeats the purpose of buying him a Freesat if it goes the way of the 3 Freeview boxes he's tried and offers an extremely reduced service, so what can I do to ensure that doesn't happen?

I'm also on a tight budget and wondering what the best box I could get for around £50 would be.

Thanks in advance. Any help greatly appreciated.

As explained by tight git a Freesat. Box needs to be fed by a satellite dish which needs to be installed outside correctly. Unless you have the correct knowledge is best installed professionally. Though you can get a Freesat box for about £50, this dose not include the dish. The average cost of the dish and its installation is about just under £100, therefore your freesatbox will about £150 minimum.
Though Freesat will offer you some different channel that are not available on Freeview, some of the channel that are available on Freeview are not available on Freesat as they are encrypted on satellite and only available on Sky.
If you are on a limited budget and already have 3 Freeview boxes the best option will probably be to get a outside areal fitted, this will probably cost less than £100 ( including installation). Thick walls are no problem to Areal installers as they have long drill pieces that can easily go though them. You do not say we're you live but if you live in a areas that have yet had the digital switch over (London & the southeast) there is still the help scheme, which if you meet the criteria will install a Freeview box and outside areal for about £40

Thanks for the prompt and informative answers, fellas. Much appreciated.

I said to him a long time ago he needs to get an external aerial. I did hope it could some how be skirted - did not know about the dish thing for freesat!

Should probably pay attention to the name of the thing, eh? d'oh!.

I'm going to have to look for something completely different.

Cheers again.

Yes, there's a clue in the name.:laugh:

Good news is if he can get ANY Freeview on an indoor aerial with thick walls then so much as a coat hanger on the roof will surely give 100% signal.

Good news is if he can get ANY Freeview on an indoor aerial with thick walls then so much as a coat hanger on the roof will surely give 100% signal.

Tried one it didn't work (Mind you it was made of plastic :confused: :rotfl:)

Or even the loft?

Most aerial/satellite dish installers will go through a window frame for ease/laziness rather than through a wall... especially if they are wood.

Or even the loft?

Most aerial/satellite dish installers will go through a window frame for ease/laziness rather than through a wall... especially if they are wood.

I thought they used a ladder on the outside! can you get wooden aerial/satellite dish installers?

It all depends on whether you can get a wooden satellite dish. (Not impossible... you could probably cover it with gold leaf.)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom