want to buy progressive player - but which one (again!)

G

graham.myers

I've flitted between all the threads on which progressive endowed player to buy.

denon a1 vs 3800 vs 2800 mk II vs tosh 900 /9500 / pioneer 963a

ad nauseum

To say the least I'm befuddled with the choice!!

I want to plug a progressive player (that may in future be PAL Progressive tweaked) into my Sony VW10ht.

I'm not bothered about SACD or DVD-A or MP3 or even macro vision disabled just multi region DVD and progressive (I'm happy with NTSC for now)

I don't fancy spending £1700 on a player if I can help it but will if I have to (although if the wife asks it ws only 799)

I want the best picture I can but I don't want to waste my money for things I wont see or use (the XLR plugs on 9500 for example)

I'd like to buy from a UK based company so I can send it back if its faulty - I just don't fancy sending something back to hong kong or wherever. I dont mind £20 discs but £1000 kit is pushing it

I know its a subjective topic but which would you plump for and what dealers are in the UK that can supply it already tweaked for multi region etc. I'll be contacting Seven Oaks in Leeds to see what they say - that was where I got my Sony autochanger from.

Once this is in it'll be a trip from Gordon I hope to get it ISFe'd

Originally posted by graham.myers

I'd like to buy from a UK based company so I can send it back if its faulty - I just don't fancy sending something back to hong kong or wherever. I dont mind £20 discs but £1000 kit is pushing it

The Philips 962 SA has a WORLDWIDE guarantee, you can get it repaired anywhere in the world. Thats got to be succint.
Had mine 1 month now, no problems. Plays all discs, no strange artifacts, only 550 quid. PAL prog, NTSC prog. I also worried about the same things you did. Buy it . no regrets. If you want, come up to my neck of the woods and see it doing its stuff.
I dont sell for HiVizone, I am just another customer and I am confident that it will be a sound buy.

Hi Karkus30

I just wondered if you could explain the hivizone price for the 962sa to me?

$590 = £377 for the player itself
$100 = £63 for shipping

Then, is VAT charged on the £377 for importing it? If so, this is another £66.

I make that £506 all in. Anything else I have forgotten?

Thanks for any help
Andrew

I second the Tosh 900 but if you wanna spend 3 times as much then the Arcam FMJ DV27 is the one.

Ajb,

I know that you have to add another 3.5% customs charge.

So take 377*1.21=456 +63 = £519. That's a rough figure, depending on the exchange rate.

Originally posted by JSW
I second the Tosh 900 but if you wanna spend 3 times as much then the Arcam FMJ DV27 is the one.

but is it worth 3 times the price?

3 times better for the price, doubtful, but it is a very good player. It does true PAL and NTSC progressive output and includes an audio delay to compensate.

I read so many issues/problems with other players and firmware upgrades downloaded from the Internet, lip sync problems and pixelation that it was worth the investment in the FMJ.

I use mine with a Sony VW11 and I'm happy with it. The only downside is that it does suffer slightly with the Chroma Bug but this is only really visible on animated films... so just reduce the colour settings!

I'm pretty sure that everything I've ever imported has had duty and VAT charged on the unit cost+shipping....

According to HM customs & excise
(http://www.hmce.gov.uk/forms/notices/143.htm)

Import duty is applied to the cost of the goods AND the cost of postage.
VAT is applied to the cost of the goods AND postage AND duty! - barstards!

If (as someone said previously) the import duty is 3.5% then by my calculations the 962sa will be
£377 + £64 + import duty (assuming 3.5%) + vat = £536.73

You will possibly get charged a customs handling fee from the courier (some couriers will pay all customs charges and then charge you plus a fee to get it delivered quickly) so the quoted price of £550 all in is about right. Still very good value if you ask me, I am on the verge of ordering one myself....

ajb
I think you just multiply the whole lot (inc postage) by 1.225 (vat+customs)

the other dishonest way around this is to get hifizone to lower the cost of the goods +shipping on the import doc and you will only get charged vat+customs on that.

j

Hi guys

As of now, hivizone are sold out. Before you ask, I didn't get the last one either.........

Thanks for all the help anyway
Andrew

Originally posted by Gordon, Convergent-AV
I'm pretty sure that everything I've ever imported has had duty and VAT charged on the unit cost+shipping....

Gordon

That has always been my experience (in fact you also pay VAT on the duty) that's why they call it Value Added Tax ... however I am based in the ROI but as the regulations are EU wide I cannot believe that the UK is any different.

Its all a bit academic now........if thats correct about HiVizone.

But they charge duty and Vat on the whole cost of goods and shipping, then you pay another 12.00 to datapost in this company. Before you ask......I couldnt be bothered to argue:rolleyes:

I just ripped into the packaging to check it was a genuine, fully working player....and it was:D :D :D

Hi

It would appear that its (relatively) easy to turn an ordinary 962sa with the DCDi logo on the front into an all-singing all-dancing multi region PAL prog player. The only thing is where to source the 962sa from.

America?
Australia?
New Zealand?

I can't believe that hivizone are the ONLY company in the world who had their hands on this player.

What do you all think?
Andrew

somewhere on this forum Australia was mentioned, alternatively its obvious that its hackable, so just obtain the American or Asian version with the dcdi logo.

Hi again

But where can this player be sourced from? I've spent quite a few hours searching for australian or nz sites now with the 962sa on...

Regards
Andrew

Sorry, cant remember, I came across a thread a few weeks back, either this site or the american forum. The Australian site was mentioned.

Just done a search, but it appears that the trail goes cold on a thread which involved Amelia, she tried getting the shop she purchased from to supply . It appears they had no interest and thats where it stopped. May be worth posting a " does anyone know of online web sites" question. Maybe try USA ?

Dont mean to gloat, but Im glad I bought mine when I did:)

Hi

That makes me feel so much........................... worse! :D

Thanks a lot!
Andrew

Originally posted by ajb
Hi

That makes me feel so much........................... worse! :D

Thanks a lot!
Andrew

I suppose they havent got a Q50 at HiVizone, thats if you were happy to buy one instead ?

Sorry cant cheer you up. I could make one for you out of a corn flake packet, sprayed silver, which you could use as a stop gap.

Hi

Thanks for the Blue Peter style answer. Very funny for the morning....

Cheers
Andrew

Originally posted by karkus30

I suppose they havent got a Q50 at HiVizone, thats if you were happy to buy one instead ?

I don't hear the Philips Q50 (or the Q40) mentioned very much but they seem to be well spec'd players.

Are they as good as they look on paper? (I'm guessing they're both progressive scan & component out...)

Chris

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom