• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Want to buy my first AV Receiver for PC (Dual Monitor Setup)

FrEaKMaN

Standard Member
Hey Guys,

This is my first post so just wanted to firstly say hello.

I'm currently looking to buy my first AV Receiver for around £250-300. Ive done a bit of looking around and seemed to see that Denon and Onkyo seem to be good makes. Primarily the Denon 2113 and Onkyo TXNR515 have caught my eye but not sure if there are any better options.

The thing is, I have a pair of lovely Logitech Z2300s that have now started to die, and been told by friends that getting an AV receiver and a decent set of speakers is the way to go. But im a bit worried about how im going to set it all up.

I currently have a PC which is outputting to a BenQ FP241W via DVI from my graphics card, and an LG Personal 27inch 3D smart TV via my other DVI port with a HDMI --> DVI adapter. My question is how would i hook it all up with the AV Receiver and still be able to use my dual monitor setup as well as transfer my sound. (My motherboard has optical out so not sure if i would use that).

Thanks in advance.

thespirit3

Standard Member
PC optical out to amplifier. Sorted :)

Even cheap separates should be a massive improvement over your Logitechs.

Steve

Edit: Connecting via HDMI/DVI would allow you to switch one display to PC or external device (PS3/Xbox/Bluray?). However, sound over HDMI can be problematic; one or both of your DVI ports may or may not carry audio. If you're only using your monitors for PC then the easiest solution IMO is optical or electrical digital out direct from the PC motherboard/soundcard.

Last edited:

dante01

Distinguished Member
It should be noted that AV receivers do not support HDMI output to DVI. You'd have to output video directly from source to a DVI input and you'd have to avoid passing video through the receiver if using DVI inputs on a display.

FrEaKMaN

Standard Member
Thanks thespirit3 and dante01

I decided to get the Denon 2313 and connected my PC via optical out from motherboard to the sound.

I haven't bought any speakers as of yet, though i will do soon, but i want to use my Z2300 satellites for now. I've read briefly about checking the impedance of the speakers and that if it isnt high enough, connecting them to the amp could blow them. Apparently they have a impedance of 8ohms. Though as im a complete audio n00b, I have no idea how to connect them to my receiver. I know i cannot use the sub with the receiver but the speakers have individual right and left rca cables, im just not sure where to plug it in on the receiever as there are so many ports and the manual that comes with the amp is useless.

dante01

Distinguished Member
The coax will be carring both the negative and positive wiring associated with conventional passive speakers. The central core is more than likely the positive wire while the outer copper braiding the negative wiring?

I'd personally just wait until you've some new speakers rather than mess about with your existing Logitech ones.

Last edited:

FrEaKMaN

Standard Member
Thanks Dante01,

Was looking at the Tannoy HTS-101 to buy, but apparently it doesnt come with any speaker cables. any recommendations on cables to buy?

sergiup

Distinguished Member
I'd say your best budget bet would be the usual Van Damme Blue series, even the 2x 1.5mm should be enough, the 2x 2.5mm will be more than enough if you want to go over around 7m.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom