1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Want to buy either Minolta Z1 or Kodak DX6490

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by gravesend46, Dec 5, 2003.

1. gravesend46

gravesend46
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have narrowed down my choices for a new camera to either the Minolta DIMAGE Z1 or the Kodak Easyshare DX 6490. Both with the x10 optical zoom I've been after.

I can pick the Z1 up for about £250, or an extra £50 would get me the Kodak which has a larger (2.2ins) screen, a better resolution (4 as opposed to 3MP) and - so I've heard - a better Li-On rechargeable battery. Is it worth the extra £50 for the Kodak do you think?

2. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Checked out the 2mp Panasonic Z1/2 with manual type controls and a whopping 12x stabilised zoom yet? I think they're going for between £250 and £300 at the moment as the new 4mp model just came out. Just alerting you to this, as not many people seem to carry it!

3. aaronjon

aaronjon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    imho,
    the minolta z1 is best vfm camera in its class/range.

4. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I have just had a similar choice to make I had the Fuji in there also, in the end I decided on the Z1, my main reason the Kodak had a proprietary battery this put me off as ‘AA’ rechargeable’s are much cheaper and in a pinch you can use disposables.

Got a great deal from Jessop’s in the end, they price matched a Net price. I got the camera some rechargeable batteries and charger plus a 128Meg card (absolute minimum requirement) for £310.

WRT The camera I am very impressed, 6x4 prints are excellent on my Canon S820 in fact they come out better than scanned in 35mm re-prints (not 35mm prints of course), I have printed up to ½ A4 and still pretty good (I an very critical so IMO a little grainy on close inspection), don’t be put off by any reviews that talk about purple fringing on some shots I have not been able to get this to happen even when I try. I am so impressed I am going to sell my complete SLR outfit, I have not been using it much now I have 2 kids, but the Z1 has changed that. I recommend it. :smashin: