Want to buy a Projector but don't know what to buy

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by WeegyAVLover, Jan 8, 2012.

1. WeegyAVLover

WeegyAVLover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,605
    Okay...

I am in the process of doing up the livingroom - pictures will follow when progress is made - and I want to buy a projector and screen.

However I am total novice on the projector and screen front so I am looking for some advice and help.

I obviousy want n HD projector - however a projector with 3D is a "nice to have" rather than a necessity.

Budget - I am not sure what sort of budget I need for a projector but if I said:
    prefer - ~£1200 / MAX £1500

Is this a reasonable budget? If I can get something for less that is great then brilliant.

I think I would prefer one that is black in colour but this is just asthetics.

The prjector is going to sit about 15ft from the screen - not sure if this makes much difference.

THE SCREEN:
    Plan is for this to sit in a recess so would like it to be motorised (not sure if this is something screens come with or you have to sort out seperately)?

Projector and screen are in the livingroom and it is not a dedicated Cinema room so will not be really dark. I am not sure if this does or should affect the colour choice of the screen?

I would really appreciate my fellow AVFers advice.

Thanks
    Col

2. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,027
    If the £1200-£1500 is for the projector only you have a few options.A screen could be from £100 for a cheap and cheerful up to thousands with choices in between depending on what quality you go for.

A decent screen with tab tensioning would typically cost upwards of £700 although a second hand screen could be an option and a few have been for sale very recently.You have not said what sort of size screen you want to achieve but something around 100"-120" diagonal would be ok from 15ft.

Projector wise you have quite a choice some are 3D and some 2D you are not really paying a premium for 3D now and they will all give a very good 2D image.

Optoma HD200x £700 approx black 2D DLP
    Mitsubish HC4000 £999 black 2D DLP
    Optoma HD82 £1299 black 2D DLP
    Optoma HD300x £999 black 3D DLP

Epson TW5500 £1500 approx black 2D LCD
    Epson TW6000 £1500 black 3D LCD

JVC HD350 £1700 black 2D Dila

There are others but that is the pick of the crop at the moment.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  3. WeegyAVLover

WeegyAVLover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,605
    Thanks Kbfern.

As far as screen sizes go I am not sure but I suppose the biggest I can fit into the space I have. But cost will be a factor as I never fully appreciated the price of a screen. I will measure that today & get back to you on that one.

On the projector front can I ask what may seem like a stupid question. What is the difference between DLP/LCD/DILA?

The projectors below £1K is there a massive or noticeable difference to the ones over £1K upto £1.5K?

4. winzentween

winzentween

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Optoma HD200x is the way to go man, espc as its still 600 in some places! i just bought one and cant fault it even though my conditions are not ideal it handles it (just lol) but beware that cables and fittings and other stuff will cost you up to and more than £400...I needed a mount, quality cables, a av amp for sound, more cables, ceiling instalation stuff, dongles for consoles to get separate optical sound etc.

5. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,027
    The differences between DLP/LCD and Dila/Lcos

See the article below for a comprehensive explenation.
    The Technology War: LCD vs. DLP

Pretty much any 1080p projector these days will give a very good image at any price, what you pay extra for is features and extra performance that takes it from a very good to a superb stunning quality.Having said that to get that superb image will not only require extra outlay on the projector but usually some room treatments or a special type of screen to wring all the performance from the more expensive models.

Any of the projectors I have mentioned as they increase in price also increase in performance and features so it really depends on what you want to do.Are you prepared to treat the room to make sure you have no external light entering and also tone down the room colours to ensure maximum contrast levels are extracted from the pj.

Your room does not have to be a batcave to get good results but a room with white coloured walls ceilings etc will be a challenging place for any projector.

There are some speciality screens that you can use (Draper ReactII/DNP Supernova/Black Diamond) that can be used successfully in average living room environments but cost from £1200-£3000.

Your best bet is to get a demo so take a trip along to a dealer or a member on here that may be happy to show you just how good current projector technology is.I am in the west midlands and would be happy to show you a couple of projectors (Optoma HD20 DLP and Epson TW3200 LCD) in a home cinema environment.

6. True Romance

True Romance
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,939
    Is the PJ going to be used for every day TV viewing? If so its not something (and I would think most on here would agree?) that I'd recommend. PJ's are more for one off events like a movie or may be a big sporting event etc.

7. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Unless I've missed it, nobody's mentioned a sound system, which some would say is 50% of the effect!

8. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,027
    Look in the guys sig he has a Yammy 1065 and Monitor audio speakers I would think he will be using those along with a Panny tv.

9. winzentween

winzentween

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I agree, I use my pj once day for 2hrs for a film as that makes all the difference and maybe once a week ill play a game for a few hours..otherwise i thinking..this is costing me bulb time and i could be watching it for free on my tv lol

10. WeegyAVLover

WeegyAVLover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,605
    Hey All thanks for all the advice.

On a separate note I have an amp that I am proud off - Yamaha 1065 - with BR Monitor Audio 5.1 surround sound. I have been building up my kit slowly over past 3 yrs.

My usage will not be everyday. Reserved for weekend movie or maybe even Blu-ray TV box sets like LOST or 24. But I am also a gamer so I think it would be very rude not to use it for that as well :)

Measured the area in my room where projector screen is going to going to go & it as only 250cm (98") across so with my speakers in there the screen max width can only be about 85" not sure what size screen that would be on the disgonal as my maths is attrocious & not sure if there is a "normal" drop height for screens.

As for room decor... I am a married man... & this is our Livingroom not cinema room... So I will decorate exactly how my wife suggests :). However ceiling will be white & Walls will be blue (all very tasteful) so not sure how that will be handled by projector.

I live in Glasgow so Midlands is a trek for a demo but could see if Sevenoaks in Glasgow can demo something for me.

I will read up on your link regarding different projector types at work tomorrow.

I have a question regarding height of projector. How high should it sit? for example is there a standard height from the floor to middle of screen? Is it dependant on seating position/height of sofa?

Thanks again.
    Col

11. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,027
    Regarding height a dlp projector is best either ceiling mounted so that the lens is around 8" higher than the top of the screen or mounted on a low table approx 8" lower than the bottom of the screen.

LCD and Dila projectors have a feature called lens shift which enables the projector to have more flexible mounting options.You could ceiling mount or put on a high or low shelf so that the lens is anywhere from lower than the screen to higher than the screen.

A projectors lens is normally in the centre of the screen in the horizontal plane but again LCD/Dila allow this position to be offset if required.

The screen size can be controlled with the zoom function so that if the projector is 15ft from the screen a screen width of 63"-100" wide can be achieved with the Epson for instance.

Look at the screen calculator below and change the model if necessary to see what size screen you can get with other projectors suggested.

Epson Europe EH-TW5500 Projection Calculator - Throw Distance and Screen Size

12. reevesy

reevesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,762
    if you have'nt already....take a good look through the gallery section as many have a pj/set up in an everyday living room
    ...will give you ideas on postioning etc.

cheers.

13. winzentween

winzentween

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    the above wasnt really possible for me as i have a low ceiling and im stupid lol so using a custom mount from ebay my pj is 2" from the ceiling and only 2" above the screen but i still get an optimal pic and you wouldnt even know it was there as its so snug! ;>

14. WeegyAVLover

WeegyAVLover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,605
    My room is going to prove really tricky as I have the opposite (and smae) problem as you - I am stupid (same) LOL - but I have really high ceilings about 15'/16'. So I therefrore cannot mount it in the ceiling as my ceiling rose and light are right in the centre of the room.

My option was to have a unit that sits behind the sofa and the projector rises up from behind the sofa but it would be fairly level with the centre of the projector screen - which from what you guys are saying is a no-no!

This is going to be complicated.

15. winzentween

winzentween

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    why not get a ceiling bracket with a canterlever arm using gas(the have them on amazon) so you could have it set back from the centre but drop down, position any way you like?

16. WeegyAVLover

WeegyAVLover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,605
    The position of the ceiling rose light is my problem, it is right in the middle of the room. My house/livingroom is Victorian so therefore there are features in the livingroom I cannot and do not want to touch, the ceiling rose being one of them.

I will take some pictures of the room so you can appreciate the size of the room and the problem facing me in the position of the projector.

17. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,027
    That's a no no for dlp but a yes yes for lcd or dila as they have lens shift.The TW6000 does not have lens shift but the 5500 does as does the TW4400 or 3200 (£900 but it is white).

18. winzentween

winzentween

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    and i thought i was having problems!!! lol goodluck but an extending canterlever gas arm could be anywhere and give you a perfect position but it cost..alot :::???