Want to buy a Golf GTi - is this site dodgy?

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by electrolyte, Mar 10, 2006.

Tags:
  1. electrolyte

electrolyte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,045
    I want to buy a nearly new Golf GTi and was looking on autotrader.co.uk for nearly new cars with up to 1 year old with up to 10K on the clock. Deals for new cars with 9 miles on the clock were coming up cheaper than used cars with up to 10K on the clock from simpledeals.co.uk.

Simpledeals claim to be able to sell me a brand new 2.0 GTi for £17995 which seems suspiciously cheap (and therefore probably is!)

Anyone got any views on this? Would I be getting ripped off?

2. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    Is it an import?????

3. electrolyte

electrolyte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,045
    I don't think so. In their FAQ section they say all cars have a UK warranty and can be taken to any UK franchised dealer for claims...

Oh, I've just looked further into their FAQs and it appears they are imports from the EU. Is buying an import a problem?

4. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    Yes imports can be repaired by dealers, But it is up to the dealer wether they carry out repairs,the dealer is not obliged to and imports have to be registered by the dealer before any warranty claims can be made, this is of course extra paper work for the dealer and some dealers feel put out by the fact you can purchase in this way,cutting them out of the profit equasion.
    The resale value on imports is also another thing to be considered, they do seem to lose value quicker

5. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    Not all dealers will carry out warranty work, Although at the end of the day they can still earn from it, but if you have any repiars that fall under the Shake,Rattle or Roll category, IE time consuming minor repairs they will not want to know, It really will come down to the individual and how busy they are,
    Also if you do have any issues VW uk will not entertain you as they will not recognise the vehicle

6. electrolyte

electrolyte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,045
    Thanks ijd - it sounds to me like it's not worth the few thousand I'll save up front and I'll buy a UK model. Thanks for the advice.

7. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,241
    Very, very naughty of those dealers...And they really know they are in the wrong....There has been very clear European legislation passed that they have to...Just like you don't have to have servicing done by the main dealer in order to keep your warranty....

Its important to know your consumer rights and not be fobbed off.....

I wouldn't walk away from an import deal....But first I would negotiate with that import deal to get a UK car at the same price....I've done that twice now and was able to get it at the same price of an import....Just shows the margins the dealers have to play with....I got £9000 of the list price in the UK within 5 minutes....But be prepared to negotiate hard, fast and be ready to part with your readies....And if not, walk away don't compromise because there is a dealer who does want to deal.....

But....You'll have the same rights with an import as long as it is from Europe....So don't be put off by that....

8. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
  9. jackal

jackal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think they are dodgy, their Garage (Wakefield) simply emptied overnight, with no 'we have moved to' info. Their cars must have been imports...(local rag adverts showed some vehicles with 'import delivery mileage'.Beware this really affects resale (and warranty i.e. one year Vs 3 for UK cars).