Want to buy 37" LCD, please help me with choices.

D

dh140770

Hi Everyone,

My 'trusty' sony 29" 4:3 died on Monday, so i'm in the market for a new TV. We have decided that 37" will fit the bill as a 16:9 TV. Our viewing room is 12ft x 15ft approx and some of the viewing is done down the long side of room.

Our budget is £2k maximum, hopefully less.

The help with decision comes from the number of inputs i should be looking for, for the equipment i have got / will get.

Scart is fine for connections, but if i'm getting a great TV i want it fed with the best signal i can get. i.e. HDMI, Prog Scan etc.

I know I need HDMI for the upcoming Sky High Definiition ?
What do I need for a Prog Scan signal from a DVD player ? or should I use HDMI for this too, or is there very little to be gained ?

Basically I want to future proof as much as possible given an average TV life of 10 years.

What current models can i consider that will fit within my requirements and what up and coming models should i be considering too?

Thanks for any help provided.

ok, forgive me for being a thickie.
What will not having a component prevent me from doing ? Prog Scan ? or can that be connected by other means ? HDMI ?

I understand the 37WL56 has one HDMI which mean when SKY HD comes along I haven't got enough high quality connections.

Sorry i don't understand some of this connectiony type stuff, can someone clarifiy.

dh140770 said:
ok, forgive me for being a thickie.
What will not having a component prevent me from doing ? Prog Scan ? or can that be connected by other means ? HDMI ?

I understand the 37WL56 has one HDMI which mean when SKY HD comes along I haven't got enough high quality connections.

Sorry i don't understand some of this connectiony type stuff, can someone clarifiy.
Cant seem to find much info on it at mo but if it only has one HDMI input and no component inputs then as far as I can see you would have to have a DVI to HDMI Cable and a DVD player that has pro scan output through DVI (such as the Denons but not many about).

Trouble is when SKY HD comes out then you are going to be lacking another quality input of some description.

Sorry not much help I know :(

I would assume that much like scart switchers are common now, HDMI switchers will be fairly common when demand increases. I have a similar problem in only having one HDMI socket and whilst I also have a DVI socket, it's not HDCP compatible (bloody Samsung).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom