Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Want to build some budget party speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Big Adam, May 4, 2004.

1. Big Adam

Big Adam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi, I’m hoping you can help a DIY noob.

I’m looking to build some speakers as a summer project. We’re not talking about some of the beautiful DIY creations you can find on these forums and on the web but rather something that I can team with a 120W NAD C370 amp to fill a 150ft garden with BBQ tunes (and sod-off the neighbours)

I realise that I won’t be able to appreciate every delicate nuance at high volumes, but I want to build something that will be controlled and whilst having some bass, avoids the constant ‘whump, whump’ of your typical disco P.A.

Budget wise, I’m looking at £250inc for the pair. Is this realistic and if so, where’s the first place I should be looking?

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    for that money you could prob find some ridiculous cerwin vega speakers that would do the job..... you wouldnt even have to build anything! :D

ad

3. jradley

jradley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    Hi,

Just wondering if you were still interested in building/buying the speakers you describe ?

I'm about to sell my Cerwin Vega AT-100's, which have 15" bass, 2 mid and 1 tweeter. They are in immaculate condition both cosmetically and functionally.

I've seen AT-80's (the 12" variant) go on eBay for about £270 so I was hoping for a little more than that for mine, but truthfully haven't a clue how much they're worth without research. I'd be loathe to let them go for just £250 though.

If you can stretch your £250 a bit and want some speakers which sound fabulous for both music and HT (and will fill your garden with sound) let me know.

Cheers,

John