Want to build some budget party speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Big Adam, May 4, 2004.

1. Big Adam

Big Adam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi, I’m hoping you can help a DIY noob.

I’m looking to build some speakers as a summer project. We’re not talking about some of the beautiful DIY creations you can find on these forums and on the web but rather something that I can team with a 120W NAD C370 amp to fill a 150ft garden with BBQ tunes (and sod-off the neighbours)

I realise that I won’t be able to appreciate every delicate nuance at high volumes, but I want to build something that will be controlled and whilst having some bass, avoids the constant ‘whump, whump’ of your typical disco P.A.

Budget wise, I’m looking at £250inc for the pair. Is this realistic and if so, where’s the first place I should be looking?

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    for that money you could prob find some ridiculous cerwin vega speakers that would do the job..... you wouldnt even have to build anything! :D

ad

3. jradley

jradley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    Hi,

Just wondering if you were still interested in building/buying the speakers you describe ?

I'm about to sell my Cerwin Vega AT-100's, which have 15" bass, 2 mid and 1 tweeter. They are in immaculate condition both cosmetically and functionally.

I've seen AT-80's (the 12" variant) go on eBay for about £270 so I was hoping for a little more than that for mine, but truthfully haven't a clue how much they're worth without research. I'd be loathe to let them go for just £250 though.

If you can stretch your £250 a bit and want some speakers which sound fabulous for both music and HT (and will fill your garden with sound) let me know.

Cheers,

John