Want to build a Storage Server/Nas

aranb07

Standard Member
Hi i have done a bit of reading and am tired of buying external harddrives, my media collection is too big now and would like it centralized, i want to be able to stream the media to my HTPC via ethernet preferably, can anyone help provide suitable specs for a decent (cheapish) server as im not really 100% confident in what i need, from what ive read it is just a cheap pc with plenty of hd space?

mengez

Personally I went the route of buying a NAS. I have built PC's before but just felt in this case it made sense just to buy a unit designed for the job.
Your usage seems the same as mine (media storage) so I would suggest looking at what's available and judge price and features on going both routes.
I found it to be better value buying the NAS without drives and then adding my own (obviously checking the NAS drive compatibility list first).

aranb07

Standard Member
Guys i am buyng some parts to build a basic pc/server, i just want to know if these parts look ok/are compatible before i order?

1 CoolerMaster Elite 333 Black Case With CM eXtreme Power 460W PSU *SPECIAL OFFER* - CoolerMaster Elite 333 Black Case With CM eXtreme Power 460W PSU *SPECIAL OFFER* £51.98

1 Samsung SpinPoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB Hard Drive SATAII *32MB Cache* - OEM - Samsung SpinPoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB Hard Drive SATAII *32MB Cache* - OEM £67.82

1 Samsung HD502HI 500GB Hard Drive SATAII - OEM Green Drive - Samsung HD502HI 500GB Hard Drive SATAII - OEM Green Drive £39.99

1 Sony DRU-860S 22X DVD±RW DL & DVD-RAM Serial ATA Black Drive - Retail With Nero - Sony DRU-860S 22X DVD±RW DL & DVD-RAM Serial ATA Black Drive - Retail With Nero £22.00

1 MSI K9N6PGM2-V Socket AM2+ GeForce 6100 onboard VGA 8 channel audio mATX Motherboard - MSI K9N6PGM2-V Socket AM2+ GeForce 6100 onboard VGA 8 channel audio mATX Motherboard £36.46

1 AMD Athlon 64 X2 4850e 2.5GHz Socket AM2 Energy Efficient 1MB L2 Cache Retail Boxed Processor - AMD Athlon 64 X2 4850e 2.5GHz Socket AM2 Energy Efficient 1MB L2 Cache Retail Boxed Processor £44.91

1 Crucial 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 Memory Non-ECC Unbuffered CL6 Lifetime Warranty - Crucial 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 Memory Non-ECC Unbuffered CL6 Lifetime Warranty £21.13

would come to £300 for a 1.5tb media server and can use it for basic tasks

Last edited:

mengez

Sorry I haven't got the time to research your list, but one think to look at is the drives as you will have no backup if your disks fail in this setup.

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
So what OS are you going to use?
For a server does the Mboard you are looking at only have 4 SATA ports then look at boards which have 6 Sata ports.
If you are going down the WHS OS route (In my opinion the best route) then get drives that are equal in size. You can find 1TB drives for around £55.
Check this out http://download.microsoft.com/downl...4e20-a605-9f225cc11721/whs_gettingstarted.pdf
You can also download for free Order Windows Home Server Evaluation Edition with System Requirements and run for 120 days WHS from Microsoft BUT remember if you do like it and no doubt you will you have to re-install the complete OS from a genuine disc so don't get carried away.
DO NOT over spend once built the WHS server does not require keyboard, mouse, monitor or DVD/CD drive. BUT it does need a direct connection to your router and does NOT work wirelessly.
You control the WHS server via the connector software on your normal PC.

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
As mentioned keep drives equal. WHS allows file duplication over multipule drives and you do not have the problem of storing on the C, Drive then the D: then E:, Then F: etc. as WHS sees the whole lot as one massive drive.
Mine = 60G for OS and 7Tb as one mass storage, and growing by the month.
All PC's in the house automatically back themselves up to the WHS server each day and WHS keeps days worth of backups for each PC.

andyUK101

As mentioned keep drives equal. WHS allows file duplication over multipule drives and you do not have the problem of storing on the C, Drive then the D: then E:, Then F: etc. as WHS sees the whole lot as one massive drive.
Mine = 60G for OS and 7Tb as one mass storage, and growing by the month.
All PC's in the house automatically back themselves up to the WHS server each day and WHS keeps days worth of backups for each PC.

Have you got the OS installed on a partition on a drive or is the 60gb system allocated?

MikeK

If all the OP wants to do is centralise his media collection and have it available over the network to several PCs, then I'm not sure I'd be sending £80 Microsoft's way when there are so many free OS products available for NAS use.

Also, I'd check out what's available in the low-end NAS appliance market too before going straight down the self-build PC route.
While I have little doubt that the PC route is, ultimately, more flexible, you have to consider that you may want to leave the NAS unit on 24x7, which means power consumption can become a lot more of an issue. Probably OK if you get a stable motherboard and OS which properly support Wake-on-Lan (WOL), but you might need to do some homework there!

There are several low-end dual disk units at around the £100 mark - just add the drives - so a 2TB unit can be had for around £220 all in. Several are expandable using USB drives too.

moz414

I've tried both the QNAP Pro II and the Netgear ReadyNas Duo NAS's over the past several weeks and ended up returning them due to faults. When I looked at my requirements though I decided I didn't really need a massive NAS so I've bought the bits to build my own. I bought:

Noah Mini ITX Case
Intel D945GCLF2 Atom Motherboard
2 GB 667 RAM

Already got a 500 GB HDD to stick in and that will do me. Going to put XP on and then mess about later with FreeNas. There's room in the case for 1 HDD but you can get a tray to fit in the dvd slot that will fit another 2 I believe.

Going out boozing today (hard life) so I probably wont put it all together till Monday.

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom