Want to build a media server. Help required!!

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by scottishpaul, Feb 2, 2009.

1. scottishpaul

scottishpaul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I am finally going to take the plunge and attempt to build myself a home media server.

Having scanned the web for the past week or two i am as confused as ever about what exactly i need in the form of operating system, and components.

I want to use the server to stream HD movies to my PS3, stream music to a squeezebox duet receiver, and provide storage for music/itunes, and my photos/vids etc which i will want to access from my pc or laptop.

I have a wireless 'n' network at the moment but intend to supplement this with 200mbps homeplugs.

In respect of storage i am considering purchasing 3 x 750GB drives which i would want to use in Raid 5 (?).

Any advice on the build would be greatly appreciated.

In addition i intend to use my iPod touch as a squeezebox controler. Does anyone have any experiences of using it in this way?

Also, is it possible to stream from the server to an iPod touch?

Sorry if all of this has been answered elsewhere.

Thanks.

Paul.

2. anth.payne

anth.payne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    When building a 'Media Server' there are several considerations. What do you want to stream to? Will you have media extenders, HTPCs, streamers?

You may struggle streaming HD content wirelessly. Homeplugs - again there is a number of considerations - personnaly where possible I would recommend hard wiring using CAT5e and a Gigabit switch.

You might find the following useful:

Two Weeks In With Windows Home Server: What I've Learned

This would be more geared towards a server/client situation.

Personally, media wise, I prefer a peer-to-peer network. With a 'HTPC' in the living room with good sized discs to store all your content, running MediaPortal or Windows Media Centre - then you can run other HTPCs or streamers in other rooms. Alternatively, just have a NAS in your loft with plenty storage as your file share...

Hope this helps

3. scottishpaul

scottishpaul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for the reply.

I have been doing a bit more online research and it looks as though Freenas, or Ubuntu would fit my needs.

Again, any opinions as to whether i can achieve what i want to, would be appreciated.

The only apprehension i have is that appear as though there could be a bit of programming involved to get it all working.

Any comments on required spec or components would be welcome.