• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Want to build a media pc

Beany31

Distinguished Member
Hi, I currently have a Samsung BD-P1500 and a Samsung HT-z310r surround sound system (not set up yet, waiting til i move), and Xbox 360.

I'm gonna buy a TOSLink splitter so I can have use the optical input on the Surround sound. The TOSLink will have the Xbox and (maybe Media PC), and the BluRay player.

All i want the pc to do is have all of my blu ray collection on it, and play them on my tv.

So I'll rip my Bluray collection and just want to play them on the tv, but also keep the HD audio for the surround sound if possible.

I am new to this, and have read the FAQ but still stuck. The thing is I'm one of those people that likes to see my collection physically lol.

If I was to do this I'd sell the BluRay player and my collection as I would no longer need them, right? I'm in need of help, my budget, if I was to do it would be £200 ish. (I'd gain that easy if i sold my bluray collection and player.)

I've got a lot of the components like tower and would an AMD Athlon XP 2GHZ be able to handle BluRay playback? Cos that's all I'll be using it for.

Last edited:

Jez1

and my collection as I would no longer need them, right?

I think if you were to rip a bluray, then any right you have to retain a copy of it on a hard disk expires once you sell the bluray on, so you wouldn't legitimately be able to sell the blurays on and keep copies of them on your hard drive.

Beany31

Distinguished Member
Which in a sense would render it pointless to do in a sense, as I'm not going to stream media around the house.

jameson_uk

So I'll rip my Bluray collection and just want to play them on the tv, but also keep the HD audio for the surround sound if possible.
You can not transmit HD Audio via SPDIF so you would need to do a complete copy of the disc (ISO) or keep multiple audio tracks.

I've got a lot of the components like tower and would an AMD Athlon XP 2GHZ be able to handle BluRay playback? Cos that's all I'll be using it for.
It could struggle. The main thing for BD playback is the GPU and the relevant codecs. You might get away with it if you have a decent GPU and TMT or PowerDVD but I am guessing that being an Athlon XP it is an AGP based mobo so you are very very limited on what cards you could use

Theydon Bois

Distinguished Member
I think if you were to rip a bluray, then any right you have to retain a copy of it on a hard disk expires once you sell the bluray on, so you wouldn't legitimately be able to sell the blurays on and keep copies of them on your hard drive.

This is correct.

To the OP, we have a hard enough time at the moment with the grey area of backups of our own material, and a suggestion like doesnt help....

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom