1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Want Sky+, but need convincing.....

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by vaioboy, Jan 6, 2005.

1. vaioboy

vaioboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I live way down south (on an isle in fact) and can only receive BBC1, BBC2, ITV and C4. We're about 25miles too far south to receive Channel5 and have only just got broadband on the island.
    We cannot receive any digital radio broadcasts and are about 25miles from being able to receive Freeview. (this is a town of about 100k people by the way!)

Therefore I am thinking about getting Sky+, as many other people around me have (live on a new estate and everyone got Sky as soon as they moved in).
    I have reservations about Sky running cables all over the outside of my house, but may be able to get over that by getting a local installer to do it and demanding where the cables go.

I currently have an old tv in the living room that has one scart socket and no remote (lost it in the move!) and a portable in the bedroom that has no scart socket.
    So as not to run cables over my house, I was thinking of getting Sky connected to the bedroom (straightforward cable through wall job) and then 'magic-eye-ing' it down to the living room.
    Obviously this would involve moving my tv's around (going to get a new one for the living room soon anyway).

So, should I? Are my tv's good enough? Do I need a scart enabled tv to watch it through a magic eye?

My other need is more complicated.
    I'd like to be able to plug my laptop into Sky whilst being in my study. Obviously I can run an S-video from the Sky+ box, but that means being in the same room as the Sky box. Is there a way of me running an aerial from the box, through the wall and into my study?

Your advice would be much appreciated.....

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    The best picture quality from SKY is via a RGB scart so your primary viewing room (living room I guess) would only be getting RF video and mono audio via the TVlink which will very watchable could be a let down on a modern w/s stereo telly:)
    The Tvlink (magic eye) uses pretty standard coaxial cable (same as used for the aerial) so your setup will work if you decide to have the STB in the bedroom.

SKY digiboxes all have two RF outputs so while you are using RF2 for the TVlink you can also connect RF1 to the laptop assuming it has a suitable TV card.

3. vaioboy

vaioboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent. Cheers Starburst.
    Short, precise advice.

I think I'll be getting Sky put in the living room and then magic-eye-ing it to the bedroom, as I think we can cope with a quality loss there. Just have to find an installer that will run the cables where I want them (have heard and seen some horrific stories of Sky fitters running cables where they want them and destroying houses in the process!)

Also the extra RF output sounds great - I can just run a coaxial through the wall and into my external tv card.

Thanks once again!

4. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    You could look into the possibility of buying a wireless video sender, then you would not need any cables at all.

I have a wireless AEI digisender transmitter in the lounge and another receiver in our bedroom and the second lounge, works a treat, crystal clear pictures. However, they can suffer from a bit of interference if someone is walking around. You do need tv's with scart connections though. They cost about £80 from Argos for one transmitter and one receiver, you can also buy extra receivers for £40.

5. vaioboy

vaioboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks wicket.
    That's not a bad idea. Would certainly save on me running an aerial through my wall to my study.
    However, it would mean changing not only my living room tv, but my bedroom tv too. Probably will do eventually, but I'm looking for low-cost options at the moment! Hence why I was going for a Magic-Eye.

Anyway, if the wireless senders are £80, what is a Magic-Eye? Surely that's a wireless sender too? Or do the wireless senders transfer stereo sound too?

6. vaioboy

vaioboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh dear. Think I've proved myself to be rather stupid.

Just looked at the TVLink at Argos and it seems it needs to be connected by coaxial! Are we still living in the stone age or what?!!

Christ, I might as well get Sky+Multiroom. Also beginning to get rather annoyed with the monopoly Sky has.....still annoyed that you can't just plug it into the aerial in the loft and watch whatever you want through any aerial outlet in the house.

7. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    If you want to do something like that have a look at this or this

These might be of interest to you.

8. vaioboy

vaioboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Henry. Looks great, but complicated, too many wires and too much hassle for watching tv.

How about these?
    Surely this is the best option to watch Sky in another room and avoid cables?

I should really get Sky+ put in my living room and then use a sender to watch it in the bedroom. Someone put me straight if there are complications with that...

9. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I don't really have much experience of video senders so wouldn't really want to comment. I'd suggest having a chat with a local installer and consider your options.

If you're going to be in the house for a while, having it cabled properly is a very much worthwhile (if you can afford it obviously). Althought it may not be as expensive as you think.:smashin:

10. Clabs

Clabs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi Vaioboy. I tried a pair of giavideo wireless video senders and my experience was that they didn't perform particularly well. I was able to get a reasonable picture but it suffered terribly with interference. I found that the slightest little thing would disrupt the picture and audio, from people moving around, to receiving a text on my mobile to the microwave being on.

I'd definately go the cable route for a hassle free viewing.

Cheers, Clabs