1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Want Sky+ box, but Sky say not possible.

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by RMCF, Feb 7, 2005.

1. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    I have always bought my own digiboxes (eg from eBay) as I have no telephone landline at my house and couldn't get a box from Sky (as it always needed to be hooked up). Doing this there was no problem getting my card switched over to work with my latest box.

However, I would now like to get a Sky+ box but I called Sky and they told me that it MUST always be connected to a phone line. Is this true?

I currently have the Sky Sports package but no movies. Any advice appreciated.

2. bioneuro

bioneuro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, you can certainly buy your own box without Sky getting involved. I did this last week from www.simplydigitial.co.uk - £150 for a v2 Pace Sky+ box.

I noticed in the Sky terms and conditions leaflet that came in the box with it that it said the box must be connected to a working telephone line (if purchased from Sky)for 12 months. So sounds to me that the person you talked to at Sky is wrong/lying (delete as appropriate).

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    As bioneuro says there is a clause that allows you to independently source and fit a SKY+ unit and not have a phone connection unless the system is goign to part of a multiroom subscription setup.
    Any contact with SKY CS will advise you on the phone requirment mainly because they are hardly going to help you source elsewhere and lose them a bit of profit:)

4. sinbrad

sinbrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bought my SKY+ digibox donkey's ago, installed and set it up with no probs. Called SKY CS and told them I now had SKY+ and wanted to now marry my card to the new box. NO probs doing so and since I was already a subscriber to movies and sports etc the SKY+ features where all automatically processed for me. Have enjoyed it ever since! Oh and no telephone connection needed!

5. cjc1

cjc1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sky are only really bother if you have a second box. Both boxes must be connected to the same phone line, trust me they regularly check, it is to stop you installing your second box next door so effectively getting Sky on the cheap. But if you are laying a cable to next door you can easily add a phone extension at the same time

6. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Did I read somewhere that you have to have a certain minimum subscription? I have the sports package (no films) - am I ok?

7. OneEyedStuart

OneEyedStuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +814
    I was always under the impression that if you went for SKY+ and wanted to take advantage of its features then you had to have the LNB changed also. Is this not the case then or is it only the case if you want to watch one channel whilst recording another ?

Any info appreciated.

Regards
    Keith Hurst

8. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    SOK there are minimum packages to get +'s features, or pay a £10pm premium. They put a quad LNB on, but + only uses 2 feeds, soa dual will do.

9. sinbrad

sinbrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Yes, that is correct. You need to at least have a twin outpt LNB if you only have one SKY+ box, but if you intend on using it alongside your existing box then a quad LNB is the way to go

10. OneEyedStuart

OneEyedStuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +814
    Cheers Sinbrab, thought so.

KH