Want rear speakers for my UK HW-Q70R Soundbar. Will German rear speakers be compatible?

D

Deleted member 779489

I have the Samsung Harman Kardon HW-Q70R Cinematic soundbar with Dolby Atmos and dts:X. I'd like to buy the rear speakers for it. Problem is there is no stock anywhere in the UK and Samsung won't be producing anymore. (I know, silly selling 2019/2020 soundbars and not support them) anyway, i can purchase the rear speakers from either the US or Germany. I'm leaning towards Germany as German and UK electrics are pretty similar. Germany uses 230 volts and 50 hertz. And the UK uses 240 volts and 50 hertz. (The US uses 110 volts and 60 hertz) I spoke to 3 people from Samsung live chat but nobody seemed to sure. Samsung US live chat said they would work then changed their mind and said they wouldn't as bluetooth works differently in different countries. But Samsung Germany seemed to think that the German speakers would work with my UK soundbar as bluetooth works the same. I'd just need to get a German to UK plug adaptor and they should work. I know German products work in the UK as last year i purchased a German air con unit and that works perfectly. It came with a built in German to UK plug on it. But with Samsung US live chat telling me that bluetooth works differently in different countries has thrown me off a bit. I think i agree with Samsung German live chat and bluetooth works the same. What say you? =)

Last edited by a moderator:
Decided to buy the 8500's from Germany as 2 different people from Samsung live chat tell me they will work. Reminded me when i've purchased Samsung monitors and TV's in the past they came boxed with a UK power cable and plug and a European power cable and plug as well. Will update when i get them as i know a lot of people want these rear speakers, as i see a second hand crusty set sell on Ebay this morning for £220 with 48 bids.

W
Decided to buy the 8500's from Germany as 2 different people from Samsung live chat tell me they will work. Reminded me when i've purchased Samsung monitors and TV's in the past they came boxed with a UK power cable and plug and a European power cable and plug as well. Will update when i get them as i know a lot of people want these rear speakers, as i see a second hand crusty set sell on Ebay this morning for £220 with 48 bids.
Which site did you buy them from?

Crazy that 2019 soundbars seemingly are only compatible with discontinued rear speakers.

W

Which site did you buy them from?
I bought them from eBay. A German phone an tech shop has about 12 sets left. About £123 new and £3 for the plug adaptor. And yeah Samsung are pretty stupid. You should hear about their 2020 TV line up if you want stupid. Proper bad this year for Samsung fans.

Thanks, I've just found them on eBay. Please post an update once you've tried them out.

Thanks, I've just found them on eBay. Please post an update once you've tried them out.
Ok, so. Got my 8500s rear speakers from Germany and they work here in the UK just fine. The unit itself says it uses 220 to 240 volts. Germans use 230 and we here in the UK use 240. So no issues there. Connecting the speakers to my Q70R soundbar was easy. Just hook them up and press and hold up on the soundbar remote for 6 seconds while the soundbar is off and they connect.

Am I happy with them? Yeah. They make somethings sound better and some things sound different. For example. When listening to a Dolby demo of a train without the speakers, the train sounds like it's coming from the right of the room and exits on the left. But with the rear speakers it sounds more like it's coming toward and through/by you.
If you are in a small room though I'd say the Q70R is plenty good enough on its own as it handles surround sound very well on its own. But if you are in a mid to large room then the rear speakers will have more of an impact. It gives me the edge in games. I played Battlefield V and now I can hear enemies footsteps coming from around and behind me. Before with the just the soundbar, even though the surround sound is impressive without the rear speakers, I could hear the footsteps but not really know where the enemy was exactly. Now I can hear where they are coming from.

Not tried Dolby Atmos yet. Have to set the Xbox One X up when I get the chance. But everything else, TV, YouTube, PS4, Amazon Prime etc in Dolby Digital all work and sound good. Worth the money.

You can buy them on eBay if anyone wants them. They have about 10 sets left. Once they sell out you won't be able to get anymore as they are now discontinued.

Attachments

• IMG_20200123_133933.jpg
    IMG_20200123_133933.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 262
I recently bought a Q70R soundbar and had a pair of SWA-9000s left over from my previous soundbar.

I can confirm they work perfectly with the Q70R.

Quick update - really happy with them for the price. I had read that the volume was too low but after increasing this to 6, I actually found them too loud! I just need to pick up some stands now...

Quick update - really happy with them for the price. I had read that the volume was too low but after increasing this to 6, I actually found them too loud! I just need to pick up some stands now...
Yeah I read that but didn't understand it as mine sound loud on default of zero. An I found if you get volume levels right it can sound pretty amazing. Got my rear ones turned down -4 with them just behind me. I found on zero that drowned out some spacial sounds from the bar itself. But when turned down I now hear all sounds. Was quite the difference. Glad you like em anyway. Enjoy. ✌️

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom