Want More Frames on BF3

105tommy105

Standard Member
Hi, i have just started playing battlefield 3 and get quite good frames but i get the odd drop in bigger areas, where it stays around 35-45fps i would like it to be high 50s, could someone recommend an upgrade:

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 970 @4.0Ghz (Cooled with H70)
MB: GA-990XA-UD3
RAM: 8gb DDR3 @1700-2080Mhz ( Im not too sure theyre oc'ed with the cpu)

GPU: HD5870 [email protected] [email protected]
HDD: Solid state corsair 120gb Sata 3

Thanks in Advance

techmob

Are you on ultra?

You could drop to high or mi and match high and ultra

Should give you more fps without noticeable difference

105tommy105

Standard Member
Yea im on ultra, i would like to be able to run on ultra because it would also help my other games play better by getting the upgrades that are needed game like Dirt 3 and GTA

techmob

Gpu would be an obvious upgrade

Everything else wouldn't benefit

Will leave it to the experts to advise but you could add another 5870 or get a better single gpu

jjgreenwood

I'm no expert but I'd guess a second 5870 would do the trick

105tommy105

Standard Member
Gpu would be an obvious upgrade

Everything else wouldn't benefit

Will leave it to the experts to advise but you could add another 5870 or get a better single gpu

What Gpu would be a noticeable upgrade that isnt stupidly expensive (like under £200-300)
I would like to stick to the Radeon cards, but if the Nvidia are better i could look at changing

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
Just drop the settings slightly and it'll be fine. I'd highly doubt you get the chance to notice any difference when playing.

105tommy105

Standard Member
Just drop the settings slightly and it'll be fine. I'd highly doubt you get the chance to notice any difference when playing.

I would but the only reason i really play the PC games is for the Ultra Amazing Textures and Graphics, i use console for gaming normally.

namuk

Distinguished Member
you need to drop the settings as Ultra is really for 1.5GB vid mem and above to max the graphics settings, but maxing the AF/AD you need to go for a sli/crossfire setup with 1.5GB on a single card to get good frames or just get a beast single graphics card with more than 1.5GB mem,system mem your fine as you can use 4.4-5.0gb system mem depending on browser in game/map.

jjgreenwood

I have to say I don't notice any difference between high and ultra, I lose quite a few frames on ultra so I play on high system as below

105tommy105

Standard Member
you need to drop the settings as Ultra is really for 1.5GB vid mem and above to max the graphics settings, but maxing the AF/AD you need to go for a sli/crossfire setup with 1.5GB on a single card to get good frames or just get a beast single graphics card with more than 1.5GB mem,system mem your fine as you can use 4.4-5.0gb system mem depending on browser in game/map.

What Single card would you recommend, is the HD6970 a good choice?

Sartios

Banned
What Single card would you recommend, is the HD6970 a good choice?

Yes that's a good choice, Or get a 6950 that can unlock to a 6970.

I'm a Nvidia fan though, a 560 Ti will be ok if your on a tight budget also, I have two in SLI (1gb versions) and they max BF3 1080p with everything on ultra and it doesn't drop below 60fps. average about 100fps

If I remember rightly, when I had one 560 Ti, i was getting about 45-60 everything on ultra barring shadows and 1080p

namuk

Distinguished Member
people do not do not notice because of the lower frames one reason high is set, slap in a card that does maxed at good frames or a card that will spit the game engine out and not even come close to getting hot, then people with notice and say they did:cool:
seen this so many times after people upgrading:)

Sartios

Banned
at the moment a card with 1.5gb and above, going above that at the moment it will cost you dearly :(.

VRAM isn't as much as an issue as people make out in BF3, I have 560 Ti SLI 1gb cards and i max the game at 100fps, yes it's SLI, so that helps, but memory isn't a major issue.

105tommy105

Standard Member
VRAM isn't as much as an issue as people make out in BF3, I have 560 Ti SLI 1gb cards and i max the game at 100fps, yes it's SLI, so that helps, but memory isn't a major issue.

I bought my MB about 2months ago, and its only got xfire, ive heard the HD7xxx series are coming out in Jan so i might wait. Thanks for your help might look into sli vs Xfire

namuk

Distinguished Member

no, so explane why am i using 1420mb in game on certain maps? there is 90mb free but thats for the system, imop BF3 would use more vid mem if it was there on tap,
also i am not running the Auto Graphics settings, have a look at your vid mem usage next time your in game.

Miss Chief

You can gain a few extra frames by disabling desktop composition on bf3.exe. Simply right click on the exe file, choose properties and under 'compatibility' you can disable desktop composition. basically it's windows aero and you can free up 100MB or so of graphics memory.

namuk

Distinguished Member
you can MC still more GV is the future mate, using I.E9 under battlog uses crap loads of less system mem as well.

Sartios

Banned
no, so explane why am i using 1420mb in game on certain maps? there is 90mb free but thats for the system, imop BF3 would use more vid mem if it was there on tap,
also i am not running the Auto Graphics settings, have a look at your vid mem usage next time your in game.

Yes I use MSI Afterburner to monitor my usage and yes I max my 1GB, it obviously will use more, if I had it, but shared system RAM helps too.

Everything is set to ultra, 1080p 2xMSAA, and I get 100 fps.

So 1GB cards in SLI shows that VRAM isn't an issue, it is when it comes to single cards, but they still work well, before I added my second 560 Ti, I was getting great results still.

Miss Chief

you can MC still more GV is the future mate, using I.E9 under battlog uses crap loads of less system mem as well.

Most definitely Nam. my next card will have either 2GB or even 3GB of memory and even then i'm still considering keeping the monitor I have. (1680x1050):smashin:

namuk

Distinguished Member
Yes I use MSI Afterburner to monitor my usage and yes I max my 1GB, it obviously will use more, if I had it, but shared system RAM helps too.

Everything is set to ultra, 1080p 2xMSAA, and I get 100 fps.

So 1GB cards in SLI shows that VRAM isn't an issue, it is when it comes to single cards, but they still work well, before I added my second 560 Ti, I was getting great results still.

your only using the first GPU vram on the card that's why you only showing 1GB used, the second card does not use the Vram just the Gpu, the shared system ram will have hardly any influence on the Gpu mem only the size of the map, adding the second Gpu in Sli just softens the Fps drop.

trust me mate more Vram is the way forward:) even though your getting good results.

running Ultra myself with the lowest AF/AD and plays well with very good FPS but i want max settings:devil: gayness i no:D.

Deadringers

Hi, i have just started playing battlefield 3 and get quite good frames but i get the odd drop in bigger areas, where it stays around 35-45fps i would like it to be high 50s, could someone recommend an upgrade:

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 970 @4.0Ghz (Cooled with H70)
MB: GA-990XA-UD3
RAM: 8gb DDR3 @1700-2080Mhz ( Im not too sure theyre oc'ed with the cpu)

GPU: HD5870 [email protected] [email protected]
HDD: Solid state corsair 120gb Sata 3

Thanks in Advance

hey mate first off what PSU you got?

the way I see it you got two-three options:
1:
Buy a new GPU (same as current model) wack that in with a new PSU. for SLI/Xfire I would personally like to see a 1KW PSU with good voltage/amps on all rails which will probably set you back 150-200 quid alone. then with the GPU you are looking at another 100-130 odd quid?

2:
Get rid of your GPU and shove in there a bigger more powerful card like a 6970 which will cost you about 250.

Either way on these two options you will be looking to spend about 200-250 quid unless you can find some bargains on the adds section here or through ebay?

3rd option would of course be to drop the AA and in-game settings however if you don't want to do that (Cannot blame you) then I think you are going to have to spend some cash :)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 27th February 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Musical Fidelity launches M3x Vinyl phono stage
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
SVS launches 1000 Pro Series subwoofers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
T+A launches new Caruso R music system plus optional speakers
  • By Andy Bassett