Want Freeview - No Scart on TV!

M

msjunior

I want to buy a Freeview box as a present. Can you still use a Freeview box on a TV that does not have a SCART socket?

I have seen advice on this forum regarding the Wharfedale DV832B, but am unsure if this will work without the SCART socket.

If anybody has knowledge on the Wharfedale, let me know, if not, does anybody know of a good, cheap Freeview box that has the non-SCART socket connectivity?

Any avice is gratefully accepted!

Cheers.

maldonian

Novice Member
Can you still use a Freeview box on a TV that does not have a SCART socket?
You need a set top box (STB) with an RF modulator. Plug the aerial downlead into the STB, and connect the STB's RF output to the TV's aerial input using a short male to female coax lead (the STB may be supplied with one). The STB's manual will describe how to tune the modulator to an unused TV channel. Tune your TV to the same channel to receive the output of the STB.

This list tells you which STBs have an RF modulator.

I have seen advice on this forum regarding the Wharfedale DV832B, but am unsure if this will work without the SCART socket.
According to the list, it hasn't got a modulator.

rickyt

I think you will be able to connect the freeview box to anything that has a arial socket and a scart socket .A VHS recorder or an old analogue satellite reciever .Plug freeview into old reciever or recorder ,plug arial into TV & tune TV to a spare channel .Failing that ,there was a small box you could buy that allows you to change a composite signal into an RF signal .I bought one years ago to allow me to use a security camera that has a scart socket .I plugged the scart into the box and placed this in between the coax cable from the video to the TV .It was bought from a company called Keene Electrics.HTH

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
No SCART. Has it got ANY inputs at all (possibly, red/white/yellow RCA jacks - may be on the front, for a camcorder) or is absolutely the ONLY way in via the aerial socket?

ROYOLD

Novice Member
If no separate inputs on the TV then a suitable modulator (as mentioned above) is available from Maplin. It costs £30, however. Maybe a better option to replace the TV because the freeview picture via a modulator will not be as good as via a direct scart connection.

http://***********/yem4lq

Sonic67

Banned
Or go into a video recorder by Scart and then to the TV via aerial. Or replace the TV it must be ancient.