Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Want big screen which route? 42WH36 or PTA300EC projector?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by SilverPenguin7, Nov 2, 2003.

1. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hi everyone, I have a couple of questions regarding rear projection and projector screens. I'm kinda new to these technologies so please be patient. I have read various threads on here about these subjects but have a couple of questions that I couldn't completely find the answers I wanted.

I am thinking about upgrading my small 28" Sony W/S for something bigger in the new year once I have paid a couple of small debts off.

Plasma is not an option right now due to a) price but mainly b) the picture delay (lip sync) issues I keep reading about that would drive me nuts.

So a projector or rear projection tv are the way to go I think. The living room is roughly 12ft square and various bits of furniture will make it hard to descretly hide the projector, plus I have heard a lot about this chicken wire business on LCD projectors. Although I was looking at the Panasonic PTA300EC which is supposed to be fairly good. Can any owners answer a couple of questions for me:

1) How far off centre can you place the projector (if at all) when using keystone adjustment?
    2) How loud is the fan? If I used this it would be about a foot from me MAX unless it can be off centre, then it could be roughly 2-3 foot away.
    3) Does the picture size depend only on how far the projector is from the screen? If so I would have a fairly large 91" screen if I placed the projector on the back wall and that to me makes me think of an ugly white screen of some kind on constant display on the opposite wall (I have to admit I haven't even looked in to the various types of screens you can buy).

I have also read a little about the Toshiba 42PW23 which seems to get great reviews as far as PQ are concerned. My friend has an older Toshiba 42"RP set (not sure of model but its about 3 years old and the base is slighly thinner than the screen and it has a speaker on each side of the base if that helps identify it?!?!) However on close inspection last night, I was actually really let down by the picture. Playstation 2 looked great connected via RGB scart, but when we fired up the dvd player (connected via component inputs I'm told) things went wrong, very wrong. Everything looked slightly dull, nothing was that sharp or clear, even Toy Story 2 looked a bit cack. But worst of all were the diagonal lines that appeared on anything red (kind of like when you have a console plugged in via an RF lead and nothing looks 'clean'). In fact, they appeared pretty much on anything bright that moved half the time!! Very distracting. My friend had never noticed before until I pointed it out. Things then got worse when we put Blade in. The opening credits were AWFUL. The red names in the titles were hard to read and the smaller text below the names was actual impossible to read!!! It was all just a red smear!! And again nothing looked sharp. This I have to admit has given me a few reservations about RP tv's. I can only assume that either he wasn't using component inputs on the dvd or he was and component connection isnt as good as RGB scart (which I thought it was?!).

I am hoping there is still light at the end of the tunnel as GTA3 looked superb, sharp, clear and solid colours with no lines.

So, my question is this:

Is the older 42PW23 worth getting or should I go for the new 42WH36 that has 100hz? I know 100hz can be hit and miss but I haven't been able to find any reviews on this new set (which I love the look of). My dvd collection consists of mainly R1 dvd's although I am now getting more R2 than I used to, if that makes any difference.

I looked at the WH36 in Comet today and was surprised by how much cleaner MTV looked than on my friends tv, even though it was in a shop and I was standing right up close to it. So maybe this set is worth really thinking about.

So if owners of either of these units could reply that would be great, and better still if you have an pictures of these things in your home surroundings that would be great as well. Or if anyone can just point me in the direction of some online reviews that would be great as well :)

Sorry for being so long winded but thanks for reading :)

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Some answers about the AE300, I've had one for a couple of months, using a 16:9 grey screen:

The manual says up to 30 degrees, however you start to seriously impact picture quality if you go that far ... IMHO 18" is about the most you ideally want to push it, maybe 2'.

In 'low' lamp mode it's almost silent, certainly as soon as you get any sounds from the movie you'll forget about it. In 'high' mode there's a quiet whine which is only noticeable if you listen for it in quiet scenes, I don't find objectionable on the few occasions I use 'high' mode.

There's a small amount of adjustment available, projecting on to a 92" 16:9 screen with minimum zoom my projector's about 13' away, with zoom I think it'd move forward maybe 18" .. sorry, not easy to try at present.

Hope this helps .. the 300's a nice projector, it's my first so I'm easily impressed perhaps ;).

3. bodyfodder

bodyfodder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 42wh36 is well worth looking into. Its probably the best CRT RPTV around at the moment.

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I should perhaps add something that you may wish to consider .. IMHO a pj wouldn't make a practical TV given the logistics of sighting it, need for low/zero ambient light etc. Also, the impact of watching a favourite movie on a 91" screen would be diminished if you watched, say, Eastenders every night on it .. IMHO, of course. :D

5. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Thanks for the replies so far guys :)

I forgot to say, if I went with the pj I would keep the 28" Sony for normal tv :)

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Like me, I have a 28" Tosh w/s.

7. bodyfodder

bodyfodder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you sure that you where using component and not composite? Component video should give the very best picture! If its worse than RGB scart then the set/cables are at fault.

8. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    This is what I am thinking. The playstation looked totally fine with solid colours etc and that was through RGB scart so I think they may have gotten confused with how the dvd player is hooked up. The Toy Story 2 logo showed the diagonal lines off the best, the red was full of them. The rest of the logo was fine but the red was so bad, really off putting.

I take it nobody else has experienced this effect when using their RP tv's??