Want advice on buying a HD Ready Plasma or LCD screen

J

jamesm1234

Hi,

I currently have a Denon amp with Canton speakers attached to a Sony Trinitron CRT, however I really want to upgrade to a 37 or 42 " (would prefer 37") Plasma or LCD that is 100% HD ready.

Like I say I just need the screen...I also have a friend who works at Panasonic so would not mind getting a part number for a Pan as he can do a staff purhcase :thumbsup: .

Anyway you guys helped me buy my amp and speakers for the surround sound and I have been well pleased so any help on this would be well appreciate :clap:

Thanks, Jim

Lots of people very satisfied with the Panasonic PV500 (HD Viera) 37" Plasma. It is slightly lower resolution than some other displays : 1024x720, but it performs well on real-world pictures, and is available in the 37" screen size!

Stephen Neal said:
Lots of people very satisfied with the Panasonic PV500 (HD Viera) 37" Plasma. It is slightly lower resolution than some other displays : 1024x720, but it performs well on real-world pictures, and is available in the 37" screen size!

i.e. not 100% HD ready

richard plumb said:
It *us* HD ready, as the spec only requires 720 lines of resolution. So 1024x768 is as HD ready as 1366x768.

1024x768 < 1280x720 = cannot display HD signal in native format

1366x768 > 1270x720 = can display HD signal in native format

Senior member or not, you are contibuting to the disinformation on this subject, as someone already said, people are being misled and lured into making the wrong decisions

JIM how about a trade of views ? you have what I am considering and I have what you are considering. ( I think ) :confused: I have the Panasonic TH37PV500B 37" plasma which I am highly delighted with. Providing you can feed it a good strength freeview signal the picture quality is outstanding from its own tuner and from DVD etc things just get better. I have no facility to provide it with any HD to try it but I did see the same model on display in the local Comet being fed with an HD demo and I must have looked like I had seen a ghost or something as I walked down the shop towards it with my mouth open as it was stunning. Only had it a few weeks but so far very happy bunny here.
To go with the above I am considering a set of Canton CD1 if still available or the 101 replacement along with a Denon 1906. Is this what you have and if so just how good is it ? Also is it reasonable at playing music as well as film and when playing film tracks is it a case of having to have the volume whacked up to hear the dialogue and effects as I have noticed with some setups ?
Mick.

Ferry said:
1024x768 < 1280x720 = cannot display HD signal in native format

1366x768 > 1270x720 = can display HD signal in native format

Senior member or not, you are contibuting to the disinformation on this subject, as someone already said, people are being misled and lured into making the wrong decisions
They are classed as "HD REady" under the EICTA definition as Richard was alluding to, however if you want to get picky a 1366x768 isn't True HD either because it can't display a 1080 in it's native resolution either.

If you're going to be rude to people, at least check your facts before doing so.

I made no assertion as to the quality or otherwise of the set. I simply stated that it is technically capable of being badged 'HD ready'.

In another thread I pointed out that perhaps the 'flexible' resolution issue is to help plasma manufacturers.

As to the specific issue of quality, the panasonic PV500 is one of the best looking sets I've ever seen, and thats only 1024x720

neilmcl said:
They are classed as "HD REady" under the EICTA definition as Richard was alluding to, however if you want to get picky a 1366x768 isn't True HD either because it can't display a 1080 in it's native resolution either.

But, it can display 1280x720 which will be one be in regular use by broadcasters in the UK.

richard plumb said:
If you're going to be rude to people, at least check your facts before doing so.

I made no assertion as to the quality or otherwise of the set. I simply stated that it is technically capable of being badged 'HD ready'.

In another thread I pointed out that perhaps the 'flexible' resolution issue is to help plasma manufacturers.

As to the specific issue of quality, the panasonic PV500 is one of the best looking sets I've ever seen, and thats only 1024x720

I wasn't being rude at all and stand by my assertion that the waters are being muddied and I find that particularly unpleasant in a forum like this. We all know what an true HD set should be able to do (no matter what setup you have yourself) and that this HD ready stuff is only so that plasma manuafacturers can flog their sub £1000 wares and at the same time pull the wool over the eyes of unsuspecting customers. If everyone realised the truth, there would be no more plasma sales other than the very expensive higher res models

ok then you're blunt to the point of appearing rude to people. IMO of course ;)

I actually think the waters are very clear. For Joe average, all they need to know is to pick up a set with 'HD Ready' on it, and they'll be set for anything Sky, Playstation or Bluray can fling at them.

It makes you one level removed from the actual technology, which can only be good for uptake of HD sets IMO

richard plumb said:
ok then you're blunt to the point of appearing rude to people. IMO of course ;)

I actually think the waters are very clear. For Joe average, all they need to know is to pick up a set with 'HD Ready' on it, and they'll be set for anything Sky, Playstation or Bluray can fling at them.

It makes you one level removed from the actual technology, which can only be good for uptake of HD sets IMO

By your reasoning then, all TV manufacturers should stick an extra board in their tellys that will have the necessary inputs and perform the down conversion, even in 14" portable CRTs. Stick an extra 50 quid on and hey presto, you have an HD ready set, badge and all, Joe public would be none the wiser and manufacturers can go on selling their outdated components in the same way they do with 852x480 plasma displays. :D

sigh.

No.

If you are a customer, and want a HD ready TV, you go into a shop and buy one with a HD ready sticker.

If you are a manufacturer and want to sell one, you meet the necessary criteria. That means having 720 lines minimum. Apart from that bit, yes you probably could stick a board in a 14" portable.

Dear oh dear :rolleyes: do we really have to go through the same old argument about what constitutes the definition of HD. This has been done to death. We all now know what the defintion of "HD Ready" means and we also now what "True High Definition", not exactly the same thing but at the end of the day if a consumer buys a "HD Ready" labelled TV then he/she can be safe in the knowledge that they have at least bought the minimum requirement for future HD television broadcasts. Lets leave it at that.

neilmcl said:
Dear oh dear :rolleyes: do we really have to go through the same old argument about what constitutes the definition of HD. This has been done to death. We all now know what the defintion of "HD Ready" means and we also now what "True High Definition", not exactly the same thing but at the end of the day if a consumer buys a "HD Ready" labelled TV then he/she can be safe in the knowledge that they have at least bought the minimum requirement for future HD television broadcasts. Lets leave it at that.

but............ye ok then :rolleyes:

Maybe manufacturers like Panasonic are lying when they put HD ready on thier TVs...give em a damn good thrashing in court Ferry....the bounders

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom