1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wannabe SVS owner

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Stonedragon, Sep 18, 2004.

1. Stonedragon

Stonedragon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Okay guys, you've got me. I've been reading the forums for months now (not just this one) and the universal opinion is that SVS is up there with the best. Like so many people I have upgrade-itis, but it has to end with this final purchase of an SVS otherwise my other half will divorce me :D

So I am thinking..to meet my bass needs now and for the future (bigger house etc) I want to get the biggest, baddest and best I can afford without coveting something else a few months down the road. So I'm thinking of a SB2 Plus!! I reckon for now this will be TOTAL overkill in my room - 14x11 (and I have downstairs neighbours) but as I said before I want to future proof.

However, I'm not totally insane and before I make my purchase I thought what better place to come and ask the 'experts' a few questions. So straight to the point here they are...

1. Does anybody know how big is this beast? In one review somebody mentioned that it was 4ft long!! Can this be right? What about the other dimensions?

2. The current quoted price on the SVS site is $1,199 (about £666 at an exchange rate of $1.8/£1 - I don't like this figure, is this an omen or something, or is it why they call it the beast :) Anycase, how much will this figure become with shipping, custom duties etc?

3. I know you guys like SVS because they're the best and not because you have shares in the company :) However beauty is the eye of the beholder so what I would like to do, is demo any SVS in the next couple of weeks or months. Can anyone oblige and prove to me what the magic of SVS is about?

4. In order for me to make the purchase I have to sell what I've got now - 2 Vibe Zeta subs. Is their anywhere on this forum I can post for sale items?

5. I've only ever heard one dissenting voice on this forum concerning SVS and that was a dude with a handle of Beatles. What was his beef?

I hope you guys will be able to answer my questions, especially 1-3, but please nothing to heavy on question 5, I was just curious.

Well thats it folks. Hope you can help.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    1) The PB2 Plus is 18" wide, 25" tall and 28" deep

2) I'm guessing that shipping to your door will not be more than $250 so that lot totals £704 at the current exchange rate. Import duty and Vat of approximately £168 will bring the while shebang to a touch over £900 to your front door.

3) I'm sure that there are quite a few people that would oblige with a demo but you omitted to mention what part of the world you lived in. If the Midlands to listen to a 20-39 PC Plus is any good to you, you are more than welcome.

4) There is a dedicated hardware sales forum here but please read the trading rules at the top of the forum as we are fairly strict on certain things in order to offer as much protection to both buyer and seller.

5) Who knows what motivates Mr Beatles. He appears to dislike SVS with a vengeance yet says that he has bought several.

3. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    You can have demo around my gaff if you want :)

4. Stonedragon

Stonedragon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Guys.

I live in London, nearer to the time when I'm ready to buy I'll take one of you up on your offer.

Ian J, I amazed at your encyclopedic knowledge of all things SVS/Subs. Do you happen to know how much the PB2+ weighs as well? Another question, sorry.... how do the box type subs compare with the cylinder versions. Is there a big difference between drivers etc? Oh and another... how long from order to arrival at the door, appprox?

5. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    My sub took about 5 days :thumbsup:

Size: 18" wide, 25" tall and 28" deep. Weight: 140 pounds

Look HERE .

6. Stonedragon

Stonedragon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Jack daws..thanks. I've just noted in your quoted message reply that you have an PB2+ so I guess I'll come and demo yours sometime when it is convenient. So just how good is it?

7. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Best bit of kit/£ you will ever buy :smashin:

These thing are awesome mate :)

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I see that jack daws gave away my secret as I just looked on the SVS website for the answers :D

The box and cylinder subs use the same drivers and amps so the quality level is very similar. Have a look for posts by Smurfin as he has owned both the PB2 Plus box sub and now has the PC Ultra cylinder and is the best person to compare their qualities.

Delivery takes about 7 to 8 days from when the sub is despatched but the time taken to despatch the sub can be anything from a day or two to a week or two as anything that have in stock is likely to have 110v electrics for the American market so will have to have suitable power supplies fitted for the UK market.

9. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    But your still "Da SVS man" :laugh:

10. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I think Ian's numbers slipped a little there, adding on $250 and converting to £ gives £805.

To door will be in the region of £980.

In your size of room I'd go for a servo 15, fantastic value for money.

I would also add on the cost of a BFD (£100 inc conectors, delivery, cables) as I have a feeling in a room so small bass is going to be all over the place without it.

11. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I think thats what it cost me (2 months ago) :)

12. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    My apologies as Daneel is right. I had uprated the delivery costs to allow for the heavier weight and cubic capacity of the box over the cylinder but had omitted to factor the extra into the total :suicide:

I also think that the PB2 Plus is overkill in a smallish room with downstairs neighbours and that something like the 20-39 PC plus that I have would be more than sufficient as well as £300 cheaper but stonedragon did say that he wanted something that would take care of his future needs too and I took that to mean a larger room with no neighbours.

13. Stonedragon

Stonedragon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ian J has got it right. Some time in the future I am planning to move to a different house and I don't want to start looking to upgrade again.

As far as controlling bass, what is a BFD that Daneel mentioned? I do want lots of bass, but obviously not so overwhelmed by it, that it excludes everything else, so if one of these devices would help, then I would go for it.

BTW, thanks to everybody that have replied to my original posting, your advice is really welcomed.

Another question, my other half can't believe one sub can knock out my 2 vibes. Would I really notice the difference?

14. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Yes..

15. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    You decided what to go for yet Stonedragon? I would put my neck out and say go for the PC Ultra due to its improved driver, same size as the 20-39+, just with a better driver.

16. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    And just as beautiful! :D

Nimby

17. Stonedragon

Stonedragon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah, I'm going for the big one. The PB2+. This shoud prevent me forever having a yearning for the next 'THING' :)