1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wanna Share KDE-P37XS1 Picture settings?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by JonG, Jan 17, 2005.

1. JonG

JonG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got a KDE-P37XS1 this weekend and whilst the whole set is stunning to look at I was alittle unhappy with the PQ especially when watching Sky Sports - up close it looked a little like a PC game at times + ghosting etc... So I read up on this forum and took some of the advice and am pretty happy with the the PQ from these settings :

Contrast=12
    Brightness=79
    Colour=71
    Sharpness=14
    Noise=off
    Colour=normal
    DRC=HD
    DRP Palette=default

I know they are a little extreme, but they are nearer the quality of the Sony WEGA CRT I had before - with the ovbious benefits of a plasma. DVD is perfect on the default Movie or Live setting (more or less) so I'm happy there - just wondered what anyone else would recommend?

I can't get Digital in my area from an aerial just yet, so it's all via Sky +. I have RGB out from the Sky + Box to AV1. Scart Control on, Sky Contrast Medium. Sky signal & quality are about 80% for inputs 1 & 2 - looks good up close and from a distance - although when you use the same setting for the Sony Memory stick it looks crap.

Any thoughts? tips or does anyone have different settings that they are happy with?

2. theroux

theroux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no idea what setting is best. These are mine. I've had it for 5 days so far.
    picture mode: personal
    Contrast: 30
    brightness: 30
    colour: 45
    sharpness 50
    noise reduction: low
    colour tone: cool
    DRC mode: high density

Comments welcome. I have NTL and a crap dvd player (no component or progressive scan :eek: )

3. phil5743

phil5743

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I would imagine that the ambient light/wall colour in the room would greatly affect individual settings - what is a good picture in one room would look poor in another. Best to use the DVE disc to calibrate your screen.

4. JonG

JonG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    don't say that, would support the wifes view that I gotta redecorate :)

I didn't get a DVE disk - where would I get one?

Cheers

5. phil5743

phil5743

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Do a search on this site for DVE - it gets lots of mentions

6. FEBABE

FEBABE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JonG

You'll find it is very bright to start with but after a few weeks it settles down and you'll need to change your settings to compensate.
    I use contrast on 60 and rest on 50, plus cool mode for normal "telly".
    For SkySports it can help to feed through a Receiver or DVD player and use a component/progressive feed to TV.

F

7. JonG

JonG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks F, don't have a Component out on the DVD player so a new player (probably recorder) is on the shopping list....

What's your impressions of the KDE-P37XS1 (I assume on your comments you got that or the 42") I'm pretty happy day to day (has taken some adjustment)- just the sports is bugging the hell out of me

8. theroux

theroux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the poor picture while watching sports unique to Sony or is it something most displays suffer from?

9. FEBABE

FEBABE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 37" because I thought it had the best PQ of any plasma I saw (and I looked at lots!). I have been very pleased with the set and haven't regretted choosing it at all. It's a pity you can't get a freeview signal because the PQ on that is very impressive.

Theroux - there are posts on here complaining about Sky Sports, and football in particular, from people with every make of display.

F

10. theroux

theroux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too have to admit that freeview channel on SONY is better than even NTL. I find this surprising. But sports is still not as exceptional.
    I guess you're right Febabe, everyone complains about poor quality when watching sports etc

11. JonG

JonG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well even though the Freeview site says I can not receive it in my postcode, despite and the fact that I have a crap aerial, I can get a small number of the freeview channels -including BBC1/2.

So I watched the footie the other night and it did compare better than Sky + output !

Spoken to a number of people and they are universally unimpressed with skysports on a plasma.

Has anyone got a DVD of a sports event (ideally football) that they watched on plasma and does not display that problems seen on Skysports? Probably a dumb question :clown:

12. theroux

theroux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just retuned my freeview and now can get all channels. With CRT and cheap digi-box, i only got like 5 channels. The built in digibox in Sony must be exceptionally good. Though sound from NTL sharper and clearer than sound from Sony plasam (both routed directly to amp and not using attached sony speakers at present)

PS Has anyone removed the attached speakers? They look like they can be 'unscrewed' from actual panel.

13. FEBABE

FEBABE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a new high quality aerial cable (to run from wall to TV) and it improved the reception no end - no picture break up. The speakers don't come off unfortunately - that's a feature of the MRX's (my dream plasma, but if prices keen dropping like this - who knows.....)