1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wanna see something really funny?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Squirrel God, Jul 27, 2002.

1. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a Farrelly Brothers fan, I was interested to find a card inside my DVD copy of Shallow Hal that detailed other Farrelly Brothers movies. Of all the movies on this card, the only one that I hadn't see and hadn't even heard of (!) was Say It Isn't So.

Strictly speaking, it's only produced by the Farrelly Brothers, so I wasn't sure what to expect, but I took a chance and ordered it anyway.

Well, I have to say I thought it was absolutely hilarious! Heather Graham is in it as well :devil: I won't spoil it for you by giving away any of the plot, but there are lots of good characters in here and it's as politically incorrect as we have come to expect from Farrelly Brothers movies (which, in my mind, makes it even funnier). :D

I got mine from EzyDVD (R4) http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/220161/id=asrFG:5hIEH

If anyone else has seen it, I'd be interested to know if you found it as funny as I did :D

2. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Squirrel, I'm in complete agreement ;). I thought I was alone in thinking this film was hilarious - most people haven't even heard of it :rolleyes:. I actually saw it at the cinema but it took an absolute age to get released on VHS/DVD. I had heard it was going through some kind of distribution dispute due to it's somewhat taboo plotline.

The black guy (also in Evolution) was absolutely superb. His scene with the drugs in the plane at the end was brilliant :D.

Anyway, I think it was much better than Something about Mary and Me, Myself & Irene. I would put it third behind Dumb & Dumber and Kingpin.

3. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That would make sense - the movie is certainly more close to the bone than any of the others :D As I understand it, it was released in 2000 and came to DVD in 2001.

I thought he was great throughout as well. :) I haven't seen Evolution because what I've read about it is not very compelling. :rolleyes:

I'd order them somewhat differently since I thought "Dumb & Dumber" was their weakest movie, but I'd certainly rate "Say It Isn't So" as one of their strongest movies and certainly in my top 3, along with "Kingpin" and "There's Something About Mary". My brain is struggling to try and order them into 1st, 2nd and 3rd though, so I'll abandon trying to do that :p.

BTW, I can think of at least one scene in this movie which is very like a certain scene in "There's Something About Mary", but I won't say what it is - you know what I'm talking about ;) :D It's got me thinking about the entire range of Farrelly Brothers stuff and they certainly draw on several "formulaic" elements. Normally, this would bother me, but with comedy movies I don't care - so long as I laugh (and I almost cried with laughter at "Say It Isn't So") :D

4. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

Check it out mate - it's a lot funnier than I thought it would have been. It even warranted purchase for me. Ackroyd is back to his best in it :D.

;)

You're right about that but as you say, the scenes are usually so funny that it they get away with it. The most noticable thing to me is the cast they use. They seem to use the same actors for a lot of the background parts in all their films.

On another note, just back from GoldMember tonight :D. Some hilarious moments but on the whole the jokes are getting tired. Sometimes I felt like I was watching the Spy Who Shagged Me :rolleyes:. It amazed me just how many cameo roles the big stars had. It brought a new element to the series if nothing else.

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Orlando Jones.. think the funny junkie is the only role he plays... he played a former 'crack addict/software engineer' in Office Space.