1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wanna buy a 37PW7 but struggling with cabling plan :-(

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by mh123, Apr 2, 2005.

1. mh123

mh123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Long time reader, first time poster. Dreaming about plasma for ages and finally saved up enough for my first foray! Planning to buy a panny PW7 now and relegate to the bedroom in a couple of years once the HD stuff settles down and the prices start to drop.

Found a great deal (methinks!) on a Panny 37PW7 at http://www.shopatdigital.co.uk/acatalog/TH37PW7B.html

£1050 inc VAT & delivery and either a component board or a composite/S-video board thrown in gratis.

Problem is I've been drawing diagrams all afternoon trying to understand how to wire up my various peripherals at the lowest possible cost without sacrificing too much pq. I'm sorted on the audio side of things but struggling on the video. Don't really want to burst £1300 (and I've got to factor a stand into this so realistically max budget is £1200).

I have the following gear to hook up:

1. Sky+ - this will be the primary source
    2. Toshiba RD-XS30 HDD/DVD recorder. We use this for archiving stuff off Sky+ that we want to keep, so we obviously need to display the menu's but PQ is not too important as we don't use it for playback
    3. Pioneer XV-DV515 integrated DVD player/5.1 amp
    4. Cheapo VCR - again PQ unimportant. Currently VCR is linked to Tosh by composite SCART for dumping tapes over to DVD-r.

At present my TV has 2 SCART in, S-Video, Composite and UHF - so all bases are covered.

But with the PW7 I'm gonna be limited, so I need some suggestions from you cable monkeys!

Here's the cheapest solution I've come up with that I think might work:

1. Buy the panny with the free S-video/composite board
    2. Buy a JS VGA converter
    3. Connect Sky+ to the TV via S-video
    4. Connect Sky+ to the Tosh via Scart
    5. Connect the Tosh to the TV via Composite
    6. Connect the VCR to the Tosh via Scart (will also allow pass-thru to TV)
    7. Connect the DVD to the TV via the JS box/VGA input

BUT I'm a bit concerned about my primary source (Sky+) going to the panny on S-video as it seems a bit daft to ignore that RGB Scart option. Also, I don't know if the panny S-video/composite board can have both lots of connectors in use at once?

Finally (sorry to go on!) - can I only add one board to the panny or could I add a second? If I could add two, then perhaps a component board for Sky+ and DVD by S-video might be a better option?

Please help I'm going doolally!!

2. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    you can have 2 boards on teh 37", i would do sky+ to vga using the js scart to vga, s-video between sky+ and your tosh (needs rca stereo red/white cable too for sound), get a component board for the pioneer dvd, vcr to tosh via scart and tosh to svideo or comp on screen

3. jinkyjim

jinkyjim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    That looks like a good deal, mh123, :thumbsup: iv been watching the prices of plasmas tumble in the last few weeks and this with the stand would be £1150, its a very good deal, a 37in would do me as i watch from about 10ft away,
    now i need advice like you ,mh123. i think i would get the component board,
    i have a DVD recorder and a sky box, i was thinking of scart from the sky box to the DVD recorder then scart to component to plasma, is this the best way to do it ???? i have a 5.1 surround system already so i dont need speakers, any advice from the experts before i order it please?????
    thanks, Jim

4. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    don't you have component out on your dvdr?

5. jinkyjim

jinkyjim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    nope no component, every other one but no component, its quite an old DVD recorder, my best bet is a scart