Wanna Box?

Backspace

Prominent Member
Reaction score
My latest project. Just need a little trimming and sanding and it'll look like a box. :cool:

I’ll raise you one box.....

3721EFAB-A412-4D01-AB40-5C52B31B0D47.jpeg
35370F72-C82D-4F43-A379-3547FF17A27F.jpeg
C0A6D36E-198C-4A92-A706-1E4A77597CBD.jpeg
4B76EBE8-42A7-4C8D-B9DE-28BA25DE6506.jpeg
686B5B6C-03DE-428C-9EE2-EFC17197F1AF.jpeg

...for my 13...! :D

Excellent work with the various box projects.

I can see these are improving/evolving over time as your skills increase.
Also larger box's as confidence is gained.

Leading, I'm sure to a REALLY BIG box such as this as your final goal.

:)

Nice boxes, but orange? :)

As @deantown says, they are actually red - with a hint of orange maybe...

Everyone paints their speakers black, and I just thought that was boring. They’re all hidden behind either the screen, or the fabric walls - so you can’t see them now anyway.

There was a little concern that the red/orange would show through the screen, but that hasn’t been an issue - if I’d used a different screen material, it may have been though.

Anyway, I got half decent at building boxes - it’s not as easy as people might think, particularly in getting every corner absolutely square - clamping in one direction often pulls it out of square in another, and you find yourself going round and round in circles having to make small adjustments before the glue goes off!

So strange as it might seem for the OP to show off a box - I get it; it’s an achievement!:smashin:

Everyone paints their speakers black, and I just thought that was boring. They’re all hidden behind either the screen, or the fabric walls - so you can’t see them now anyway.

There was a little concern that the red/orange would show through the screen, but that hasn’t been an issue - if I’d used a different screen material, it may have been though.

Anyway, I got half decent at building boxes - it’s not as easy as people might think, particularly in getting every corner absolutely square - clamping in one direction often pulls it out of square in another, and you find yourself going round and round in circles having to make small adjustments before the glue goes off!

So strange as it might seem for the OP to show off a box - I get it; it’s an achievement!:smashin:

Probably a little late now, but may help others in future.....

If you measure corner to corner on a box and gently nail a piece of baton across the corner when happy that both diagonals equal the same size, you can then rest assured that there will be no movement as the glue/bonding sets.

Same color as my first project. :cool:

@Dreamer definitely orange to my old eyes but hey go for it, like you I am not a fan of black, hate black PC cases, keyboards and the like so all for a bit of colour.

It may look orange because of your monitor. :lesson:

I have a calibrated AcerPredator XB321 HK monitor but perhaps you are right

Pics 2 and 3 display a colour difference. This is likely to be due to the camera processing the colour ballance of the whole scene. The colour shift is there before the image is displayed.

True that. Angle of shot, amount of light and many other factors affects the perception of color.

If a can of paint says red it's red.

Paint them deep purple for playing music. ;)

True that. Angle of shot, amount of light and many other factors affects the perception of color.

If a can of paint says red it's red.

Well it definitely said red, in fact hard wearing red.

I can attest to the ‘hard wearing’ bit - I did my first lot of spraying on the driveway - over a year later, I’m still trying to get rid of a lot of overspray! :facepalm:

I’ve tried different chemicals, physical scrubbing, and burning it. The only thing I’ve found that works is sandblasting it! Doh!

Seeing your work I'd say you're quite professional. I don't have a wood shop. Just a table and power hand tools.

The wood was poor for staining so at the end of this month I'll get some black paint. That way it'll match the shelves it's in. These baskets I used were space waster.

Seeing your work I'd say you're quite professional. I don't have a wood shop. Just a table and power hand tools.

Very kind of you to say so, but no, not professional in the slightest - like you, it was all done with hand held power tools - Ryobi One+ 18v stuff - mostly picked up on Stateside trips from Home Depot.

That's where i get my wood from and the tools are from Amazon. Gotta love Prime.

I doff my cap to you amateur box makers. I’m hopeless at carpentry/woodwork.
Though MrsD says I’m good at other things?? :laugh:

Like paying for her shoes? :laugh:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom