WandaVision Premiere (Disney+) TV Show Review & Comments

Just watched the finale. Overall I loved it. First 2 episodes were a slow start, but it just keeps getting better from there. The fact I have been trying to explain what is going on to my wife (who isn't watching it, doesn't care in the slightest, and has never seen anything MCU) is telling about how much I was enjoying it. Great start to the Marvel TV shows.

That was a really strong finale, thoroughly enjoyed it. Although I’m probably in the minority, I found the crashy bangy “MCU” stuff dull as dishwater, everything else though was great and I spent a lot of time with a melon sized ball stuck in my throat.

Cracking mid- and end-credit scenes too.

On the whole I’ve found this series to be really interesting, engaging and emotional, and yeah I do think the other MCU shows have been set a high bar to aim for.

As above! I blubbed almost constantly because I care about these characters. Strong performances from everyone.

Well they promised the usual MCU action fest full of CG for the finale and they delivered on but also masterfully wove heart breaking elements in.

Something was wrong with my eyes and throat during that episode.

I did

1112A222-BDEA-45F3-8A7C-B45AC79E2F1B.jpeg

The show had no right to be as good as it was.

Absolutely blown away by that final episode.

Thank you Marvel. I had my reservations in whether the momentum could be kept up after Endgame and through the most trying of circumstances we were starved of your content. I should never have worried. You came back and have delivered once again in the highest of fashion.

What a start to Phase 4.

For the first Disney+ Marvel show Wandavision has set a high bar. I thought it was great and lapped all the various theories that were posited over the 9 week run. I am sure Falcon Winter Soldier will be a very different show although the Loki show which is on after will share a few themes from this show. So Disney+ is finally starting to earn its sub now - george

I watched the final episode tonight and I thought the series as a whole was great, and I enjoyed the sitcom episodes. They did a good job making each one different enough, even down to the lens aberrations and film grain to suit the period, revealing a bit more of the story as each episode went along.

They told the story in a very novel way with a good mix of mystery, action, emotion and humour. I was hoping it would be good but it exceeded my expectations.

Olsen and Bettany were great and really showed how versatile they are, adding depth to their characters. This was backed up by the (mostly) good supporting cast, with a couple of real standouts. My one criticism is the same as Tom's with regard to an antogonist being a bit meh.

last two episodes really blew it out of the park, i guess i've have to withdraw my original comments somewhat as, as a whole the show works very well, happy to admit I was wrong about this.

Absolutely loved this, such a great show!

I was hoping for maybe another big reveal but the the post credit scenes were great.

What a finale and what a series!! Massive credit to the team that made every episode better than the previous one. Had to force myself through episodes 1 & 2, reservations about if I should carry on when episode 3 dropped and hooked from then on.

I think I read on here that it was the most expensive series ever produced. That last episode was a mini MCU movie with everything that went on. Like every episode, even after the POST CREDIT (in case others missed it) scene, left me wanting more answers.

Bring on Falcon & Winter Soldier, Loki etc

Great series.

Some thoughts ...

The primary villain imo was Wanda, shaped by her intense grief, so a sympathetic villain (or anti-hero?). Agatha and the SWORD prick were just opportunistic side-villains; with some selfish heroism from Agatha in opening Wanda's eyes to the horror she put the town's inhabitants through.

Wanda should have turned herself in, the fact that she didn't just shows where she's headed. That whole town was taken hostage and tortured, with some possibly starving to death. It wasn't deliberate nor premeditated, but those people deserved justice.

Olsen deserves a few awards for this and some huge film roles. Magnificent acting.

When two characters brought up the Theseus, did anyone else think of this?

Great series.

Some thoughts ...

The primary villain imo was Wanda, shaped by her intense grief, so a sympathetic villain (or anti-hero?). Agatha and the SWORD prick were just opportunistic side-villains; with some selfish heroism from Agatha in opening Wanda's eyes to the horror she put the town's inhabitants through.

Wanda should have turned herself in, the fact that she didn't just shows where she's headed. That whole town was taken hostage and tortured, with some possibly starving to death. It wasn't deliberate nor premeditated, but those people deserved justice.

Olsen deserves a few awards for this and some huge film roles. Magnificent acting.
Yes, agreed. After Thanos, the MCU needs a genuinely powerful super villain to present a realistic challenge the Avengers in future, and it looks to me like Wanda is shaping up as the next ‘big bad’. I think they know that one of the things that made Thanos a great villan was that he had some depth to him, not just evil for evil’s sake, but with a conviction that he was doing the right thing. Wanda is not quite at the same point in this show as she is obviously not aware of what she is doing until the end, but she still harmed innocent people and decided not to accept full responsibility for it. This was her true origin story, and the character could go either way, which is a great set up.

Nice summary @Tom Davies :) I tend to watch these shows not noticing the weaknesses too much because my mindset is just to enjoy them. I'm sure I subconsciously noted the Hollywood hacker trope (which I normally dislike), but because I enjoy mostly MCU shows it just slid by. I wasn't 100% sold on the reveal about how the town came to be but I'm not sure how else it could have been done.

Wanda and Vision were great, Agatha was a great reveal, the kids are confusing which I'm sure is partly by design, but also partly because they can get away with it within the format. The Monica reveal became predictable but I'm OK with that.

I was not totally happy with the ending as it seemed to leave too many things hanging while she just swans off somewhere. But then I didn't know about the 2 end credits scenes until I was reading another review, I stopped reading once they began to mention them lol. Wanda's scene in particular made for a more satisfying but still intriguing ending.

The MCU is turning into a bit of a Microsoft analogue with their heavy borrowing from other genres. They really ought to give special thanks to Noah Hawley, no Legion, no WandaVision.

Overall I think 8/10 is about right. It will be interesting to see how Falcon and Winter Soldier does especially when Loki looks like the more interesting project going forward.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spoilers

These are always very good!

I really enjoyed this series whilst I was watching it although I have to admit that I did leave it thinking that I no longer cared where Wanda's story went after the finale and I certainly didn't feel any emotions regarding her loss. I actually laughed when Monica said "They will have no idea what you sacrificed for them." Wanda's general lack of remorse for her own actions do make more sense now with the knowledge that she may move on to be a villian in future content but if that is the case then why go to the bother of offering her the opportunity for sympathy at all, especially at the expense of making another character look completely stupid in the process? The brilliance of Thanos was that he truly believed he was doing the right thing for the universe, this wasn't just some selfish, self serving act, and he was willing to sacrfice what ever it took to achieve this. A tough act to follow for sure but I don't think Wanda is going to get anywhere near that level based on what has happened so far, and if that really is the direction of travel.

Perversely I am looking forward to seeing where Vision's story now leads, although the reality is that the two characters story arcs are always likely to be one and the same.

I put a like on this before I even watched it lol.

"Are you OK?"
"I'm not used to slow moving intrigue so I'm not sure what to do with my self"

Classic Pitch Meeting :)

Oh and huge, massive spoilers.

Edit:
Wait a minute, aerospace engineer? I definitely missed that one.

Elizabeth Olsen really was so good in this. I wasn't convinced by her in the films previously (especially with the disappearing accent), probably because she didn't get much to do, but she really did such a great job as Wanda/Scarlet Witch. This really does set the bar high for future marvel TV shows.

Watched Fatman Beyond the Kevin Smith podcast last night on YouTube and he had the director of the series on it was great to listen to him talk about it and fan theories. He also mentioned a big scene with Senor Scratchy that was filmed but was left out, sounded great but like he said it would’ve been an unnecessary distraction from the story

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom