WandaVision Premiere (Disney+) TV Show Review & Comments

I like TLJ. It subverts expectations at every turn and often hilarious.

Way OT now BTW.

Way OT now BTW.
Mod comment - yes it has wandered a long way off topic. Everybody please keep comments about WandaVision. Discussions beyond comparative references to other programs should be taken to the appropriate threads.

Re: episode one. Upon rewatching it appears that the solitary, austere strawberry from the kitchen table is what
Hart choked on later (despite not eating anything at the time).

Makes that masterful scene even more ominous and sinister.

I might watch them again to see if I missed various nuggets out the first time (I know I have!).

There's an astonishing amount of Easter eggs for such a short run time. The attention to detail is unprecedented.

Here I was thinking it was just a pastiche of Bewitched. :D

Watched the first episode at the weekend with my 9yo daughter. Rubbish.

My 5yo walked in and asked, "Daddy. Why is everything grey?"

That perfectly summed up my mood while watching this dross.

I love Marvel and really want to like this, but the first two episodes have seriously put me off watching any more.

I totally get what they are doing, and in principle it’s very clever, and technically very well executed, but I found the first two episodes a real slog to get through. This is mostly because i just didn’t find any of it funny at all. I just have never liked American sitcoms, so a faithful pastiche of them is even less funny.

The other problem is that even having seen all the Marvel movies to date, we don’t really know much about the characters of Wanda and Vision. She is a witch from a made-up country, he’s a robot with an infinity stone in his head and they have a relationship - that is literally the sum total of their character development in the Avengers movies. Other shows have done episodes where characters are dropped into some kind of alternate life - Star Trek in particular did this a lot - but in that case, we know the ‘normal’ character and have something to root for when we know they are acting against their instincts. We just don’t have that with these two, so I‘m not really interested in the characters either.

That means the only interesting parts are where the overall plot is hinted at and the many Easter eggs, just not sure it‘s enough to keep me watching, but I will try to stick with it. I might let it get to the end and binge it, I have a feeling it might play better that way.

All that said, I really do appreciate that they are trying something different when they could have so easily just churned out some bland action show set in the MCU, so I don’t want to be too hard on it based only on the first couple of pretty short episodes.

o watched 10 minutes of the first episode and 5 minutes of the second episode then o watched something else. really painful unwatchable aspect the other episodes I hope for something more eventful sure that after having waited a long time and they give you a series like this it is better to close the subscription with Disney plus

Managed about 10mins of ep1. Nope, no thank you.
Totally appreciate them doing something different however it's basically a bad pastiche of Mork & Mindy.

I do like the fact that they've made it though as it seems to be a Marmite show, which is always a good sign, whether I personally happen to like it or not.

Only allowed to like this show, which appears to be of the marmite variety, in this thread I'm afraid.
I think that's demonstrably not true.

There's been a pretty equal balance of love, hate, patience, impatience, admiration and dismissal in the thread so far.

And through it all a consensus of "well, at least Disney are pushing the boat out a bit."

That's pretty much the definition of constructive disagreement, which is exactly what the forum is for.

I think that's demonstrably not true.

There's been a pretty equal balance of love, hate, patience, impatience, admiration and dismissal in the thread so far.

And through it all a consensus of "well, at least Disney are pushing the boat out a bit."

That's pretty much the definition of constructive disagreement, which is exactly what the forum is for.
I thought 'angrying' posts was a bit of a no-no here, and the thread seems to have gotten a wee bit toxic to anyone who doesn't, apparently, get the wonderfulness and subtleties of the series.

And for the record I wasn't a fan of the first two episodes, in mostly because I really don't like the old sitcoms, but will be watching episode 3 with hopes it will come around so I'm not exactly one of the haters...

There have been a lot of posts now that show it's a significant miss for a lot of people, and yes something different is good and hopefully they will break out of the churn and bring us more Logans and Deadpools than the usual MCU.

I thought 'angrying' posts was a bit of a no-no here, and the thread seems to have gotten a wee bit toxic to anyone who doesn't, apparently, get the wonderfulness and subtleties of the series.
I hear you and I'll say to everyone that if someone is not happy with the direction of the discourse, please reroute constructively.
If there is genuinely a particular comment which you think crosses a line, please report to our team of Mods who are pretty great when it comes to settling these things within the established rules of the forum.

Now, back to The Last Jedi- I mean Birds of Prey- I mean Star Trek- I mean Wonder Woman 84...
You know what I mean...

Who keeps on dishing out these angry emotes? :rotfl:

Who keeps on dishing out these angry emotes? :rotfl:
Me. I should grow up but it's just too funny. Sorry. It should be noted that emotes are often given very tongue in cheek and are not to be taken seriously.

Is the pinnacle of this series going to be a Big Bang theory rip off then? I guess one episode a decade means we might get a couple of episodes with actual content in it at the end. Although the Cheers episode will be fun.

Why score a Series only 2 episodes in. When reading a Novel do you judge it after only reading a few chapters?
But you don't have to wait a week between each chapter, that's the difference. Pretty much everyone expects a turning point when the show becomes universally acclaimed but until then, it will be hit and miss depending on who watches it.

Edit: misread and I actually agree with you. If you can't say it's a 4/10 after two episodes then you can't say it's a 10/10 either. However that review score might be for just these episodes?

Why score a Series only 2 episodes in. When reading a Novel do you judge it after only reading a few chapters?

I kinda get what you're saying but I would have thought the answer was obvious in this case given the way that the series is being released and the fact that all of our reviews have mandatory scores.

If the question is why score, then I agree. But we have to keep putting them on to service those who prefer not to read.

And if you're really comparing to a novel (why?) then sure, you can have a 'so far so good' review based on the first couple of chapters, that's actually what some publishers initially judge books on.

Short of going into the future (which, I'm sure, would be apt for this series) this is the best kind of review you're going to get at the moment, and surely it's better to have Tom's eloquent gut assessment now rather than wait a few months to see where it all lands, by which point everybody will have seen it anyway.

Well, apart from me because I read the review and now I'm waiting to binge it.

yes it is true when you read a book if the first pages are not interesting and lead you to continue reading because already from the first pages you are sleepy I close the book and the same thing happens with a TV series if the first two episodes do not I am what you expect from a MARVEL series that is action but also comedy and this seems like a witch's life not that it doesn't make me laugh witch life but if I want to laugh I watch witch life I don't watch a MARVEL series we hope that in the next episodes they are at height of an audience that wants to watch something serious

yes it is true when you read a book if the first pages are not interesting and lead you to continue reading because already from the first pages you are sleepy I close the book and the same thing happens with a TV series if the first two episodes do not I am what you expect from a MARVEL series that is action but also comedy and this seems like a witch's life not that it doesn't make me laugh witch life but if I want to laugh I watch witch life I don't watch a MARVEL series we hope that in the next episodes they are at height of an audience that wants to watch something serious
To be fair, you can make a great movie or show without any action. It all depends on writing and how it's realised on screen ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom