WandaVision Premiere (Disney+) TV Show Review & Comments

Watched two episodes now and finding it a bit of a chore .... but will stick with it.

Suspect Wanda has gone mad (something that often happened in the comics) and is creating this fantasy to distract her from some type of trauma.

Also think it will tie in with next phase of the Marvel movies particularly Dr. Strange.

We all know that. No one thinks that they are really actors in a 1960s sitcom. But that was basically we watched. And it wasn’t much fun. For some of us.
Why do people think that not liking it equates to not understanding the story? Just because we don't share the passion for it doesn't make us thick :mad:

Remember that series of Star Trek where Captain Picard was stuck in an episode of Hi-De-Hi for 8 episodes me neither because it sounds shite. I’m not sure about this new Marvel Wanda Vision series 95% painfull sitcom parody 5% spooky hints at a deeper meaning to all this. I shall wait and see.

Remember that series of Star Trek where Captain Picard was stuck in an episode of Hi-De-Hi for 8 episodes me neither because it sounds sh*te.
TBH that sounds a lot more interesting than what they recently came up with :p
Sorry. Too easy I know :)

I know people are saying that its going to get better but imho those first two episodes are so marmite. It makes me think they should have released it in one chunk rather than weekly.

Remember that series of Star Trek where Captain Picard was stuck in an episode of Hi-De-Hi for 8 episodes me neither because it sounds sh*te. I’m not sure about this new Marvel Wanda Vision series 95% painfull sitcom parody 5% spooky hints at a deeper meaning to all this. I shall wait and see.

No but I remember umpteen times he was stuck in the Holodeck as Dixon Hill, the 'Chaotica@ episodes of Voyager, the Vegas episodes of DS9, or Supernatural stuck in Scooby Doo land, or Angel in puppetland and so on.

I know people are saying that its going to get better but imho those first two episodes are so marmite. It makes me think they should have released it in one chunk rather than weekly.

It's interesting that when Disney gave out screeners to their select reviewers, they gave them the first 3 episodes and the reviews that I watched say that episodes 1 & 2 were so-so, but episode 3 made up for it. That said I don't usually buy into these "It gets good by episode 5 or season 2" excuses, but I guess it helps these people to talk more positively about it.

From those 2 episodes alone though, I hated it. I just found it boring and cringy. Spending time with a version of I Love Lucy just because they have inserted a couple of Marvel characters is not my idea of a good time. Sure there was a couple of intriguing moments but not enough to keep me interested in what was going on. By episode 2 I was bored to tears and my finger was hovering over the fast forward button, which I did hit once. I think they could easily have trimmed it down to 1 episode.

I like Paul Bettany and Elizabeth Olsen, but I don't particularly like the characters of Vision and Scarlett Witch, not just in this, but anything really, so I don't have much investment in the show. I'll gve it one more episode but I think we're gonna get a 70s sitcom next and if I'm still not caring I'll give it a miss, but keep an eye out on this thread to see when it does actually get good.

I enjoyed it so far but you have to wonder who they are pitching it to. Although they nailed the nostalgia part of it I would imagine that there is a large portion of the MCU demographic who won't have seen the old shows and this would make it unrelatable. Due to the nature of the format it looks old and therefore cheap on the face of it and it seems as if the impressive end credits sequence is there to reassure you that this is a production that invested a lot of money. Whether that in itself is enough of a hook to keep audiences watching until it ramps up remains to be seen.

I for one an in the 9 camp but only because I've seen those shows and the nostalgia box is ticked, anyone who rates a 2 is probably right as well.

I absolutely loved it. Yes it doesn't really make any sense but it was a great watch. I did used to love Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie etc... so as it was doing a homage to those kind of shows it just brought back all those memories with the quaint storyline and forced and obvious jokes.
Olsen was fantastic in it and Bettany was great at times but a little awkward at others but overall this has me hooked - mainly to see where it goes and what the arching storyline it.

Makes a nice change to the usual superhero tosh that makes it to TV :)

I get the premise, and I remember watching bewitched reruns in the 80s, but I'm glad the episodes are short - as I'd struggle to watch anything longer - so far at least.

But even though i'm not enjoying it, i'm happy to see them try something a little different, and not play it safe - so hats off to Disney for that.

I get the premise, and I remember watching bewitched reruns in the 80s, but I'm glad the episodes are short - as I'd struggle to watch anything longer - so far at least.

But even though i'm not enjoying it, i'm happy to see them try something a little different, and not play it safe - so hats off to Disney for that.

Definitely a good thing having 30 minute episodes. Too many shows drag out over 45-60 minutes (let alone 16+ episodes per season).

I do wish they released them all at once as it's perfect to watch 3-4 episodes at a time.

BTW, how many people noticed the
Hydra watch with Strucker
reference? ;)

Couldn't see much about the ads in this thread but they seem to be important:

- Stark Toaster -
I've assumed this referred to the unexploded Stark bomb she mentioned in Ultron
- Strucker Watch

So are these going to be running through her life chronologically? Interested to see what the next one is about (Pietro?).

To those saying they should have released it all so we could have binged it and it made sense.. surely that's missing the point? We're all here, talking about it... sharing our thoughts... and that's simply not possible in the new binge culture.

To those saying they should have released it all so we could have binged it and it made sense.. surely that's missing the point? We're all here, talking about it... sharing our thoughts... and that's simply not possible in the new binge culture.
Yep. The Manalorian did it and it got exactly the kind of response you are talking about. So there was no doubt that they would do the same thing for the rest.

Yep. The Manalorian did it and it got exactly the kind of response you are talking about. So there was no doubt that they would do the same thing for the rest.

My wife and I in fact were discussing last night how it feels like it's come first circle for us recently - we're liking spreading the show out and discussing them etc... It's starting to feel like we are remembering them better and engaging more rather than the flash in the pan binges we've been used to.

My wife and I in fact were discussing last night how it feels like it's come first circle for us recently - we're liking spreading the show out and discussing them etc... It's starting to feel like we are remembering them better and engaging more rather than the flash in the pan binges we've been used to.
The current Netflix practice is for binge watching but I wouldn't be surprised if somewhere down the line they went back to the Weekly release for certain properties.

Couldn't see much about the ads in this thread but they seem to be important:

- Stark Toaster -
I've assumed this referred to the unexploded Stark bomb she mentioned in Ultron
I watched this film recently and I don't remember that reference. But now that I am thinking about it, the whole ticking motif for this part could tie into what you are saying. Plus the ticking clock seems to be a running theme.

Weekly releases make better sense in a business model as it keeps people subscribed.

However I hope that doesn't happen more frequenty, as some shows - especially short length episode ones - need to be binged in my opinion.

I definitely wouldn't have enjoyed The Mandalorian as much had I watched it weekly like I know many did here. Basically did one a night and got swept up in it which helped.

I watched this film recently and I don't remember that reference. But now that I am thinking about it, the whole ticking motif for this part could tie into what you are saying. Plus the ticking clock seems to be a running theme.

I've been watching them again with my 10 year old so Ultron is quite fresh in the noggin.
Wanda recounts how a Stark unexploded bomb landed in her family apartment block and the brother / sister spent 2 days or so waiting to be rescued. They sat there in the rubble with the bomb right in front of them
. Could have some details wrong!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom