WandaVision Premiere (Disney+) TV Show Review & Comments

richp007

Distinguished Member
Not everything ever made has to be plot-driven. Most of the best films aren't.

I would love some examples of these non-plot driven films....unless you're including documentaries, non-fiction and the like.

Pretty much every film that's ever been made is plot-driven.

Tom Davies

Editorial Contributor
In Amoku's defence here, plenty of movies have a plot but are not 'plot driven'.

A good example is something like Eraserhead or Inland Empire where the plot is secondary to atmosphere, or La Jetée where plot is secondary to visual impact or Transformers where plot is secondary to merch sales... Oh, someone beat me to that joke.

Anyway I'm not suggesting WandaVision is remotely like any of these things, just that it's not unheard of to place other elements on a higher tier of importance over moving the story along.

Belzok

In Amoku's defence here, plenty of movies have a plot but are not 'plot driven'.

A good example is something like Eraserhead or Inland Empire where the plot is secondary to atmosphere, or La Jetée where plot is secondary to visual impact or Transformers where plot is secondary to merch sales... Oh, someone beat me to that joke.

Anyway I'm not suggesting WandaVision is remotely like any of these things, just that it's not unheard of to place other elements on a higher tier of importance over moving the story along.
Blade Runner and Altered Carbon series 1 are prime examples of being very atmospheric but they still have strong plots.

Tom Davies

Editorial Contributor
Blade Runner and Altered Carbon series 1 are prime examples of being very atmospheric but they still have strong plots.
100%.
It's possible to have any ratio of plot : other technical/artistic element you like and still call it a TV show / movie. It takes an incredible talent for one to leave out the other and make it good.

encaser

100%.
It's possible to have any ratio of plot : other technical/artistic element you like and still call it a TV show / movie. It takes an incredible talent for one to leave out the other and make it good.
Some of the best films/series are where you near forget the plot and just get swept along in feeling.

Amoku

Apologies if my evidently pretentious terminology caused confusion.

Plot-driven as a phrase is used to describe a specific literary style for the formation of narratives. A film not being plot-driven does not equal not having a plot at all. Some place character-driven narratives way above plot in precedence. Some focus on spectacle. Some on atmospherics. And some just use characters as plot-devices to advance their sprawling overarching story.

Anyway, can't wait to watch Episode 3 tonight. I gather from this thread it places a lot more emphasis on plot. Clearly, some folks dig that:D

Last edited:

BrightonChris

Distinguished Member

Plot-driven as a phrase is used to describe a specific literary style for the formation of narratives. A film not being plot-driven does not equal not having a plot at all. Some place character-driven narratives way above plot in precedence. Some focus on spectacle. Some on atmospherics. And some just use characters as plot-devices to advance their sprawling overarching story.

Anyway, can't wait to watch Episode 3 tonight. I gather from this thread it places a lot more emphasis on plot. Clearly, some folks dig that:D
The lack of plot wasn’t the real concern for me. I would have liked to see some sort of world building or character development. Especially as these two were hopelessly neglected in the films - especially Vision - I was really hoping for some insight into their characters more than the first two episodes offered.

richp007

Distinguished Member

I'm with you now. It was you saying about the "best" films not being plot driven, I was racking my brains trying to think of the best films that aren't :laugh:

bootyman81

Distinguished Member
Ok, I’m on board now, I thought this ep was excellent, I felt more of an affinity for the type of sitcom it was doing, I was instantly transported to time of re-runs on the TV 😀 I almost forgot I was watching a big tentpole marvel Show (maybe that’s a bad thing?) but then it breaks & it’s super eery!
definitely feel it should’ve been a 3 ep premiere last week but then Disney get an extra week of people tuning in.
I do have a better understanding of what’s happening now & I’m very excited for the rest of 6 episodes.
just wish it was longer!

BMox81

Distinguished Member
We enjoyed this weeks episode-the last 10 minutes were great. And now we see the scope of what Wanda is doing with her [email protected]

Didn’t enjoy it as much as last weeks however-some of the baby stuff just didn’t hit with me on this occasion.

Can’t wait for episode 4.

Last edited:

Indiana Jones

Really liking where this is going, slow burn with elements that I can imagine will put some off but personally I love what they are doing.

Lancia34

Distinguished Member
Just watched episode 3...fantastic. Loving this show and can’t wait to see where it goes in the next few episodes.
Good to see them expand the world a bit more, one massive tease though.

lee667

Distinguished Member
Really enjoyed episode 3 and the series is shaping up nicely, I'm also like the slow burn of it.

Did anyone else think their stream had buffered with the bit when vision was cottoning on to things?

John

Something you really need to stick with
the pay off is coming, but could it be trueman show-esq , rather than a prisoner of her own mind. Their approach will certainly have generated a load of negative online chatter, which could be what they want before the big reveals start coming

mazon27091

Now we know why all the critics gave it good reviews (they were shown the first three episodes) I think it will get better and better from now on.

Amoku

Now we know why all the critics gave it good reviews (they were shown the first three episodes) I think it will get better and better from now on.

I seriously think many critics would have preferred the first two over the third anyway.

Excellent episode today. Do think the first two were better.

mazon27091

I realised the critics liked the third because during many of the interviews with the cast. They outright said that episode 3 which they couldn't spoil at the time was the best. Check out the various youtube interviews with cast and creatives (and various publications that post online interviews and reviews) There are too many to list..

Marky1973

Ep3 was great, and the show is getting started now.... Feel like disney should have dropped the first 3 last week, and then a lot of people might have been on the same page with it from the off.... But either way I'm enjoying it.... And, for me, after the Mandalorian, I am kind of enjoying going back to weekly episodes and the excitement that builds!

Lancia34

Distinguished Member
Really enjoyed episode 3 and the series is shaping up nicely, I'm also like the slow burn of it.

Did anyone else think their stream had buffered with the bit when vision was cottoning on to things?

Yes for a split second I thought my internet was playing up, very clever :)

Im bemused by the hate as you can’t judge a show, especially 30 minute episodes after 2 episodes. Even if you did I don’t get how people could think it’s really that bad that they couldn’t watch more than 10 minutes.
Anyway, guess tastes really are that different but shame really.

bruce-leroy

Distinguished Member
I wasn’t that enamoured with the baby stuff but the final 3rd of the episode was great. On the other WandaVision thread, there are some suggestions/spoilers about what is happening/who is behind it. As I never read the comics, I don’t really know a lot beyond the movies. Just from enjoying the show there are definite
Truman Show/Cabin in the Woods
vibes.

GT One

I think I shall check this show out as I was a 'Bewitched; sit com fan.
US based English actors like Paul Bettany tend to ham it up or settle for sedate sometimes mundane secondary supporting roles, so WandaVsion series should be a refreshing change for him even if it does continue his Marvel franchise role, which you have to say has been pretty good providing him work, as he was also the voice of J.A.R.V.I.S. in Iron Man as well.

gazred35

Distinguished Member
9?
Wow, watched 10 minutes, switched it off, absolute garbage!!!
I went in with an open mind......after 3 mins I'd had enough but struggled through for another 2 mins - Absolute garbage

Last edited by a moderator:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Tidal streaming service acquired by Twitter/Square's Jack Dorsey
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Netflix adds support for reduced theatrical release window
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Paradigm launches Founder speaker series
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 3rd March 2021