1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wanado Broadband Sharing

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by frozendexter, Oct 17, 2004.

1. frozendexter

frozendexter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi, Does anybody have experience of Sharing Wanado Boardband just useing the silver USB modem they supply, two PC's with NIC's and a cross over cable?

A mate asked me to set it up for him, I can ping one machine from the other, have enabled ICS on the PC with the modem, enabled auto IP addressing on the second PC.

Everything seems fine but, when the PC with the Modem is turned on, both lights on the modem are solid green, as soon as the second pc is switched on the ADSL modem on the first PC drops the ADSL line and wont connect to the net.

Is it me or have Wanado built something in to the modem software to stop it been shared? I know I could tell my mate he needs a router but moneys tight for him.

Any ideas, Cheers!

2. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    can you get file sharing working between pc's ?

you may need to put both pc's on an identically named Workgroup, and assign both NIC's an IP address in the same range, ie 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2

Once you've done that, you may also need to set the default gateway for the pc WITHOUT the modem attached to the IP address of the pc with the modem.

As for the modem disconnecting, try connecting it after the connection between both pc's is properly established.

3. frozendexter

frozendexter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Marc, yes I can file share, the pc without the modem is getting assigned the correct gatewate & IP address and the workgroup names are the same.

I think the problem is the motherboard not been able to power the usb modem and connect the ethernet at the same time, but not sure.

I would think I'm not the only person the find this problem! some mentions have been made regard Via chipsets being crap with USB.

4. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    if it's a power issue, you could try buying a self powered usb hub (about £20 or less) and see if that solves the problem, as the only power that will be taken from the motherboard will be the small amount required to transfer the data rather than actually powering the device.

5. abit_late

abit_late
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

I have a similar setup to what you describe with ICS working no problem. ICS has worked with Win2000 and currently with XP Pro. The main reason for this post is to say that I don't believe Wanadoo have imposed a hardware limitation on ICS. Although I got BB when it were Freeserve, I think we are talking about the same modem (silver USB speedline?). Try assigning IP's manually with you host PC's NIC IP 192.168.0.1, and the other 2 PCs using IP 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.3. Gateway on both client machines 192.168.0.1 with subnet 255.255.255.0 on all three.

Also make sure that you 'enable ICS for this connection' for the correct connection, i.e. your broadband internet connection.

I think you could be right about insufficient power to the USB port and that a powered hub might be worth a shot if all else fails.

HTH
    al