Walter Susskind's The Planets On SACD

Timbo21

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Late last year, for my birthday, I asked for John Elliot Gardiner's latest SACD of 'The Planets'. I was somewhat disappointed, since I know how natural SACD can sound, especially in the treble, & I found the top end a bit brash & digital sounding, & the performance was okay, if not a bit sterile.

However, a bit later I came across a review of Walter Susskind's quadrophonic recording of 'The Planets', which has been mastered & transferred to SACD. I therefore decided to give it a try after my previous disappointment. Wow! This is a fantastic recording. Originally done in the 70's onto analogue this is a really exciting recording full of emotion & amazing dynamics that far surpasses John Gardiner's version. Sound quality, & Walter Susskind's interpretation excellently adding an angelic choir on the tail of the last piece, is just top notch. You really feel you've gone on a journey. This really is SACD at it's best. I really was quite surprised at the dynamics from these old recordings. The tone of them is satisfying in every department.

If you like this piece, & haven't heard this version, go get a copy from amazon. Best heard in surround IMO:thumbsup:

T.

Timbo, that choir you mention. Was it not on the Gardiner version? Should've been - it's part of the final movement (Neptune, The Mystic). You should've heard it performed live at last year's Proms. They hid the all-female choir in the Gods, and had them circle the Albert Hall unseen. Amazing to hear the sound fall from the sky like that!

OK, you've convinced me. Placing an order now.

shadowritten said:
Timbo, that choir you mention. Was it not on the Gardiner version? Should've been - it's part of the final movement (Neptune, The Mystic). You should've heard it performed live at last year's Proms. They hid the all-female choir in the Gods, and had them circle the Albert Hall unseen. Amazing to hear the sound fall from the sky like that!

I'm not sure. I may have missed it due to loss of interest, lol. Susskind's choir has that old film sound to it, sort of conjured up images of Cecil B DeMilles' Ten Commandments, lol.

I've only just started buying some classical pieces, especially buying an SACD player 6 months ago. I was pretty impressed with a recording of Tchaikovsky's 1812 overture which was recorded on a DSD system with canons blasting in surround mode, maybe you know it? Comes with a warning about it's dynamic range & avoiding blowing your speakers :thumbsup:

T.

Timbo21 said:
I was pretty impressed with a recording of Tchaikovsky's 1812 overture which was recorded on a DSD system with canons blasting in surround mode, maybe you know it? Comes with a warning about it's dynamic range & avoiding blowing your speakers :thumbsup:

T.

More details please! :)

BazMan said:

I'm going to find out. It was one I borrowed

BazMan said:
Dont get too excited - I have the old stereo CD version of this and it has the same warning about damaging your speakers :eek:
Paul

PaulBoy said:
Dont get too excited - I have the old stereo CD version of this and it has the same warning about damaging your speakers :eek:
Paul
I've just checked my copy. Telarc Digital, Erich Kunzel conducting the Cincinnati SO. There's a little circle on the cover that says "Caution - Digital Cannons"!

"Warning The cannons of the Telarc Digital "1812" are recorded at a very high level. Lower levels are recommended for initial playback until a safe level can be determined for your equipment."

I just love this piece of music and would really like to hear it in SACD/DTS :thumbsup:

Bazman I think play.com are doing it.

Received today. Very good :thumbsup:

Left the disc on after the music had stopped and was treated to a "speaker alignment test" with the voice of a little boy announcing which speaker was about to be tested. Wierd.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom